1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Only' 1 RGB Connection

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jag, May 17, 2002.

1. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the fact that most of the models only come with 1 RGB connection really prove to be a problem?

Can we not just buy a SCART adaptor for a tenner from Argos and get by the problem or am I completely off-track?

Cheers,

Jag.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A problem yes and no, you can daisey chain or as you say but a scart switch box, so connecting all the equipment some of us have is not really a problem, but having to spend more money on switch boxes and probally losing signal quality through using them or daisey chaining our equipment is.

It is always better to connect each component via a single lead.

If you have a £50 scart you are not going to connect it to a £10 switch box, you will have to match the quality of the switch box to the quality of your lead, when connecting to a switch box you are creating another connection, even though both lead and switch box are of the same quality you could still lose some quality in signal.
    The same goes for a daisey chain, 2/3 components daiseychaned
    could cause a certain amount of loss in signal quality depending on the quality of the components that are built into the equipment.

Connecting our AV gear would be a lot easier if sets had 4/5 AV connections all being capable of RGB and S-Video.

That's the way i look at it.....;)

bob

3. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get high quality switch boxes?

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Plus the fact that having to get up from your chair and constantly switch devices is a REAL PAIN...I should know, I have one of these Switch boxes (not Argos)!

(Yes, I am aware of the remote Quattro, which comes with it's own flaws and would be more of a pain than my manual one!).

A MINIMUM of 2 x RGB SCARTS should be the norm nowadays.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a few members mention them, think their may concern is that they are RGB compatable and have w/screen switching, they mention Maplins, this may be the company from where to purchase one from.

Do a search on general hardware, i beleive this is where the topic was i read.

bob

6. Chris Bellamy

Chris Bellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My slightly oldish 4:3 Philips 29" has 3 scarts, only 1 of which is supposed to take RGB according to the manual, but at least 2 actually accept RGB signals with no problems. I've never bothered testing the 3rd scart for RGB compatibility as I dont have a 3rd source that outputs RGB. I've no idea if other sets might also have more RGB-compatible scarts than the manuals would suggest: perhaps its worth having a go though.

Chris

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Scart 2 is most likely accepting a composite signal rather than RGB.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with Kevo here. When I plug my Pace DTA into my old 14" portable and set the Pace to output RGB, the Pace says it's outputting RGB, and the picture looks okay, but the TV is actually only displaying composite.