1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only 1 hi deff socket on the new plasma's - will this be a problem?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by englishquad, May 13, 2005.

1. englishquad

englishquad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've Just been looking around a the the plasma's, like the panny 500 / the new hitachi 7200 and so on, and they only seem to have one HD imput. So does this mean we are going to need so sort of splitter box? say you have sky+ and the new XBOX 360, or one of the new hd dvd players that will be blue ray or whatever? remember the old days when you used to run out of scarts..AGGGHHH?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well Xbox 360 wont have HDMi from what i read, but there are HDMI switchers laready and they will start becoming common on AV amps within the next few years.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The xbox will be HD ready - how it's delivered seems a bit unclear, shall we say.

4. smultron

smultron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. englishquad

englishquad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok i'm starting to think this may well be a problem then! why dont the manufacturers of these so called "state off the art TVs" ever think to put enough inputs on these things. 3 or 4 years down the line we might just get 2 or even 3 hd ports round the back!!

JUST STICK 3 ON NOW!!! THEN WE'RE COVERD!!! :lease:

6. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the mo. they seem to think more SCARTS will win over HDMI's 'cos everybody has stuff with SCARTS and receivers have been slow to integrate into iDTV's. Also there were some early issues of HDMI incompatibility.

Now the standard seems more stable, I'm with you as I'd prefer just 2 SCARTS both RGB and 2 HDMI. Remember though that unlike RGB or YUV, HDMI comes with copy protection built in if required, so it will become more of a requirement in future than a feature.

7. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Since they have had to pull the plug on the HD DVD drive and go with a DVD9 dual layer the hdmi encryption is no longer a real issue for films.

I assumme it will be scart RGB and YUV in UK

They will want to do the Sony thing of occasionally 'upgrading' and releasing a new unit. Xbox 360 R2 will probably have a HD DVD drive and maybe HDMI in 2007 when the standard is set and films are available.

8. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) As Horny said - HDMI switchers and amps... Philips have a 'cheap' digital surround amp with 2? HDMI inputs out imminently. Just as people are using amps to route video now, it makes sense to do the same with HDMI - in fact it makes more sense as the single cable carries digital audio, no need for TOSlink / SPDIF. Even a separate switchbox can make sense in reducing the number of leads to a wall mounted screen. IMHO, there are very few people that are genuinely better served by having more HDMI inputs on the screen, although it may be more convenient 'out of the box'

2) Xbox 360 - hadn't noticed that they dropped HD-DVD. That could be the final nail in the HD-DVD coffin - with PS3's shipping Blu-Ray, that will probably drive the HD formats, just as PS2 did for DVD.

Although just dropping HD-DVD doesn't negate the need for HDMI - they are still touting HD films... on DVD using WMV compression. If they don't use HDMI, will they be able to convince movie studios to bring WMVHD discs to the market?