1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only £550 to spend - should I carry on saving?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by saturday, Feb 22, 2003.

1. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Sony 25" 4:3 and a half decent Aiwa Dolby Prologic + subwoofer set up. Mostly used for watching TV and not so much for music. Surprisingly good picture and OK sound. Time to upgrade though and I will have around £550 to spend after buying a new TV which will probably be the Sony 36FS76.

That £550 is going to have to go a long way though because I want to buy a Dolby Digital system and a DVD player.

Now there seem to be a number of good(ish) DVD players around for £150 which leaves £400 for the sound. That's not really a lot of money is it? I'm wondering if it is worth spending my money on say a Sony HTSL7A plus a DVD or maybe even an package such as the Sony DAVC770. Or will I just end up being disappointed with the sound and wish I'd saved for something a bit better. How much more would I have to spend to move up to the next level?

Any views or advice would be gratfully received. There is so much to choose from!

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well ... if you look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68657&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 you'll see my sugestion of how to spend around £400 at Richer Sounds to get a set of speakers for home cinema use ... well (and this is slightly weird to begin at this point) but forget the sub to begin with and you have a good (for the money) speaker setup for £225 - so thats where we'll begin.

Add to that one of the amps from Richer Sounds at around £200 - Marantz SR4200, Yamaha RX-V430, Denon 1602, etc.

That takes your spend upto £425.

Now finally, you need a DVD player - the Toshiba SD220E (£100 / £120MR) - also from Richer Sounds surprisingly - will complete your spend for less than your £550 budget. Now keep saving and when you can afford it visit Richer Sounds again and pick up the sub that we didn't buy earlier.

Many people will say that having no sub will ruin the Home Cinema experience, but in my experience the sub will add to the experience ... but if you're prepared to put up with a little compromise initially, buying it later will allow you to start enjoying your system sooner.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Save up. A midi system will be similar in performance to a all in one Sony system, or very low budget speaker system.

Here's a good setup...

Kef Cresta centre, £50
    Kef Cresta 2 L/R pair, £60
    Eltax Eltax HT2BP rear bipoles £50 or
    Gale 3060 bipoles £80
    Yamaha DSPAX630 £250, AV Amp.
    Toshiba SD220e £99
    Subwoofer- Velodyne from Eric (on these forums)

Bit of advice- take a mate who knows ALOT about AV, as Richers Sounds staff haven't got a clue.

Cables you'll need.

Speaker cable for L/R/C/RL/RR
    Phono to phono cable from Yamaha to subwoofer
    Coaxial 75Ohm phono to phono from DVD to Yamaha
    SCART lead from DVD to TV.

Nathan

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about this for a £400 sound system:

Mission Cinema 6 pack (includes sub) and is available for £200.
    Marantz SR4200 (should be able to get one for around £200) either from RS or from www.hifijunkies.com

Of course you will need a little bit more for the cables/speaker wire but you get the idea

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Might sound better with a dvd player as well.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First and foremost, unless you're getting things from the richer sounds stores ready to take away home with you, I'd suggest you opt to shop elsewhere. it may cost a little more, but it takes weeks for richer sounds to deliver products - frustrating in itself. Aside from that though they're okay. I'd recommend a Marantz SR4300 (around £250) with a set of Mission Cinema 72 speakers (again around £250) which have provisions for upgrading to 6.1 with the addition of an extra M7DS surround speaker. And probably a Toshiba SD220E DVD player for £100. This takes you over your budget slightly, but if you can't afford it now keep saving.

7. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys.

Sounddog - take your point about the sub and I'll check out your recommended speakers and amps. The Toshiba SD220E looks a good choice.

Nathan_silly - you've hit my fears in one. I already have an OK sound system and don't want to replace it with another. I want to step up to good (excellent and fabulous can come later!). I'll check out your recommendations but sadly, none of my mates know much about AV.

AOD - I'll scout around and see if I can find these to look at.

Dimmy - thanks for the good advice.

Thinking about all your advice I can see that it would be a bad move to buy an AV package. With separates I should be able to get slightly better performance for the money and can more easily upgrade in the future.

Please keep the advice and comments coming. Now looking for an amp and speakers at around the £450 mark all in.

8. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :D

I kind of assumed that since good suggestions for the DVD players had already been made, that we didn't really need to go over them again.

Of course if you can source a decent player (such as the aforementioned Toshibas) for £99 then that even leaves you with £50 towards your cables.

9. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are loads of solutions here, but richer have now reduced the Eltax liberty 5.0 package down to £149.00 which is a bargain, I'd go for that and a marantz 4300 for 250.00 which with your buget gives you about £150.00 for a DVD player stretch another 20 quid and you can have a Tosh 520e. Spend another 20.00 quid and add the HT2 center for the 6.1 Only 40.00 over your total budget but the improvement both for music and picture quality will be well worth it. always add a sub at some point. £200 on the forum will buy you a small 2nd rel and you've future proofed your sytem (prog scan and added DVD Audio) also it'll both look quite good as well as sound awsome. I am using the cresta's currently and they are not as good as my previous liberty package.:mad:

10. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never consider Eltax speakers, but for the price they seem quite good value.

Here is a review of them
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/tes...peakerPackages/Eltax/EltaxLibertySeries.shtml

they are rated quiet well

Remeber if you do decide to buy them, print out the webpage !

I went to buy the Yahama NS-C120 centre speaker for a bargain price of £19.95, and it was displayed in store for £89.99 !
    They were'nt too happy about giving my one...but they did !

11. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jasonb - Eltax liberty 5.0 and marantz 4300 look pretty good to me. Tempting to go for the Tosh 520e but I need to draw the line somewhere! I guess an extra £20 here and £40 there will always add quality but it all adds up.

50/50 - good point about printing the page - thanks.

Hope to make my final decisions this week.