online shopping and CDWOW!

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a couple of weeks ago i ordered a dvd box set (valentines present for Mrs D) from CDWOW, they took my money and sent me an email confirming that they had and were going to send it.

When it hadn't arrived i called to ask what was happenning and they told me that they didn't have it in stock - so they refunded my money and gave me a credit note for the amount (as i was in the dog house with Mrs D for not getting a present) i thought thats cool, well done CDWOW.

So last week i thought that it was about time i ordered the "Infernal Affairs 8 disk Ltd edition boxset". So i thought i know, i'll call first to make sure they have it in stock. They told me thay did so i went and ordered it, got a confirmation of order and confirmation that they had taken payment. On friday i noticed that i had not had an email to tell me that it had shipped (so i called them) to be told yes everything is cool and we ship over the weekend. however, it hasn't shipped and the girl i spoke to this morning has told me that it is no longer in stock!

i believe that a good number of members said that CDWOW was the best online retailer of 2004 on this showing they wont get my vote this year - i dont care that they offer me a refund and a credit note - i wanted that boxset!!! and all they have done is mess me about.

so be warned they are not as good they think they are! so thats 2 grand worth of business they have lost!!

Gary

I think that's a little unfair especially seeing as it's a limited edition box-set perhaps you should have ordered it weeks ago! maybe their system hadn't updated when you phoned?

Personally have never had a problem with them (well only 1 tiny one) but I've never ordered anything more than £41 and it wasn't a limited edition item either.

By the way Korean DVDs as great as they are don't mark-down packages so you'd better pray it gets through customs unnoticed if you choose to buy it there.

lurker75 said:
I think that's a little unfair especially seeing as it's a limited edition box-set

Lurker, i fail to see how i'm being unfair - if you call someone and ask if something is in stock and they tell you it is - then surely its reasonable to expect it to be in stock? after all the system took my money for the order.

anyway they did much grovelling yesterday - so i may have something positive to say later on.........

Gary

The one thing I dislike about CDWOW is the fact that they take your money as soon as you order. I'd buy much more stuff from them (advance pre-orders etc) if they took payment on despatch like many other firms.

That said, I have no reason to doubt their customer service is excellent. For example, other people have posted here about their complete willingness to offer credit for the recent R3 Sky Captain release. Etc.....

sorry to hear that Gary. My experiences with them have all been fantastic, and I have never waited more than 4 working days for an item. I ordered the House of Flying Daggers LE, and it came 3 days later.
I don't buy their 'we only ship at weekend talk', as I have ordered on a Monday and received an item on the Thursday / Friday.

The fact that you ordered a LE item and you were promised it in stock (when in fact you didn't get it) is pretty shocking, as naturally the item is flying like hot cakes off everyone elses shelves.
Hope you get it, but as the post above says It watch out for the customs with that particular site, as he correctly says they dont mark down their shipments. A girl in my work got stung £18 from customs for a $30 Luis Vutton bag copy. ooooooouuuuch.
Good luck

LV426, Ill agree there as well. It is quite frustrating that when you pre order something they charge you regardless if its released tomorrow or next month. I know you have to pay for it sooner or later, but still...

Garyd said:
Lurker, i fail to see how i'm being unfair - if you call someone and ask if something is in stock and they tell you it is - then surely its reasonable to expect it to be in stock? after all the system took my money for the order.

anyway they did much grovelling yesterday - so i may have something positive to say later on.........

Gary

The reason I think you're being unfair because probably somebody else made an order just as you were talking to the person on the phone, or quite possibly CD wow couldn't source any more copies. Any number of things could have happened to prevent you from getting your limited edition box-set. Anyway unlike certain other companies that supply DVDs CD wow always have fantastic customer serves, responding extremely quickly to e-mails sometimes within the hour, they refund your money immediately with no hassle or fuss again unlike certain other online DVD retailers.

I have nothing but good things to say about CD wow and I'm sure if you used them more you would feel the same. With respect to limited edition DVDs if it's something you want you really have to get in there quick no matter what the company if you want to guarantee your item.

edinburgh160 said:
A girl in my work got stung £18 from customs for a $30 Luis Vutton bag copy.

How did she get stung for a $30 bag? That's under the £18 limit !

lurker, they still had the boxset on sale on the website the day after i ordered it, so it must have been in when i ordered it 24 hours before. indeed i was told that there was no problem when i called them on friday morning.

the guy i spoke to yesterday has been fantastic about it all - however, he emailed the warehouse yesterday to find out about the product but they never replied to him. he has now contacted the DVD buyer in HK to see what he can do about it.

i know that CDWOW's service is great and you never have to argue with them but that doesnt excuse the fact they told me its was in stock, took the order and then failed to ship it.

Gary

LV426 said:
For example, other people have posted here about their complete willingness to offer credit for the recent R3 Sky Captain release. Etc.....

i was just about to order that, why are they offering a credit note? :confused:

I believe the reason for the credit was the initial R3 they sold only had a stereo soundtrack. Shortly after they had the DTS-ES version and offered buyers of the first disk a credit because of the stereo soundtrack, so they could effectively exchange it for the DTS-ES version. Pretty decent of them really!

Massive CD-WOW fan here, always fantastic service, especially when things go wrong (which isn't very often in my experience)...

lurker75 said:
How did she get stung for a $30 bag? That's under the £18 limit !

sorry Lurker, I asked her today and the bag was £170. Got mixed up which explains the customs charge.

edinburgh160 said:
sorry Lurker, I asked her today and the bag was £170. Got mixed up which explains the customs charge.

What!! you mean she has real louis Vittion bag!!! i've never seen a real one, only the fake ones the chav slappers carry!!

gary

a quick update for thiose who are interested.

i've just been told thay took 3 orders for the item - however, they NEVER had it in stock - they took the orders believeing that they would be able to get them.

now will someone tell what thats all about? or defend CDWOWS actions?

Gary

theres no defence for that action. Taking money in the hope they get the titles in is way out of line. It surprises me, as I have never had a problem, but I don't doubt it.
I really hope this is a one-off, as I have / and planned to use them for future LE sets, but am not so sure now. I would want to be guaranteed delivery for something that could well be unavailable by the time they let me know.
I have tried dvdfromkorea for a couple of sets, and they are very reasonable. ordered last night and got an e-mail today saying they have been dispatched and to expect them in 5-10 days. Heres hoping. I'll let you know how I get on, but looks promising so far.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom