1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Rentals

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Drew C, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using 'dvdsontap'(or lovefim as its now called) for a long time now, but lately their turnaround has been appaling. I'm paying £15 a month and receiving 1 (if I'm lucky 2) dvds a week.This to me is just a ripoff! wether its them or the postal system, I dont know, but it never used to be this bad.
    They dont seem to want to give me an explanation, so can anybody reccomend another online rental company which is any good?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try MovieTrak , they have just launched a subscription service which I haven't tried but they're one-off rental service is excellent :)

3. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I use ScreenSelect, and pay a flat fee per month for as many as you can get through (max 3 at a time). Efficient service but my only criticism would be you don't often receive new titles in a hurry - but it's great to catch up on older titles, and their TV series section is pretty good.

HTH

dr_m

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've tried the free 14 day trial with MovieTrak, and although delivery is prompt it suffers from the same problem as what dr_mabuse says about ScreenSelect.

When a new title comes out to rent on a Monday I like to be able to get it stright away from Blockbuster, but Movietrak appear a few weeks behind on the release schedule.

Have anyone used a site which is more up to date, and with good service ?

Cheers

5. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use dvds365.com mainly for DVD's that I want to watch but wouldn't buy. So for non-chart titles it's excellent. Not so-sure about chart titles.

6. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use ScreenSelect, and am now finding their turn-around to be getting longer and longer. PLUS I don't seem to be getting any of my "first choice" titles, either.

Will probably give it another month or so, and if it doesn't get any better, will cancel.

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Another :smashin: for movietrak from me. Used 'em for ages, switched to the all-you-can-eat subscription when it was launched and am generally happy with the service. New releases are a bit hit and miss - sometimes you'll get 'em quick-sharp but sometimes, as dfield says, they take a while to turn up ... I'm kind of used to it now though, and if there's something I *really* want to see I tend to buy it anyway, or pop down the local rental shop if I'm not sure. I get through enough discs a month that I'm happy I get value for the subscription fee.

The one thing about movietrak that I really appreciate though is that they dont quibble about missing returns. A couple of times now I've returned discs that they haven't received - whether that's the PO messing up or their returns system I don't know. But on both occaisons they immediately cleared the item from my queue, and sent out whatever's next.

Cheers, Carl.