Online PC gaming

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by shodan, Feb 16, 2005.

1. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,748
    Right, I've just got broadband and got my sound card sorted so how do I get into this online gaming malarky? Or at 28 years old, am I too old for it all? :confused:

2. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go down to your local Maplins store and buy a copy of Worms World Party then get onto Wormnet... highly addictive online game...

Have fun :thumbsup:

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    28 your just a pup, 43 and I'm having a ball zimmering around WOW. :hiya:

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    GrahamC

Are you finding that you get much interaction with other players ? I've scraped up to lvl 7 on me own, but other than a few chats, nothing..no teams or anything.

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,748
    I was kinda hoping for something where I could shoot, drop bombs, and punch my way through the internet... ;)

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Trust me mate,you arent to old,Ive just gone the wrong side of 30,and still loving it ;)

At the end of the day it comes down to what sort of online gaming experience you want.

Obviously a brief search of these forums will give you an idea of what games are out there....

ATM theres quite a few people loving a bit of World Of Warcraft but that whole magic potion and troll scene aint for me :rolleyes: .

You also have the hardcore old school that will never play anything but Counter Strike,but trust me,as fun and addicitive as it can be,if your normal you will soon grow weary of the repetetive maps and continuously being shot in the head by excellent players/cheaters.

You also have the whole Call of Duty/Medal of Honour mob who swear by their games but to be honest,these games are very poor...small,unimaginative maps,clunky animations and limited gameplay.

eeerrrr,you have the Half Life mod Day of Defeat which is still holding its own,but now showing its age a little.The new Source version is due out very soon and should be very good indeed,so your call if you want utilise the old version to get to grips with it a little first.

Obviously you have good old Flashpoint, which surprisingly is still going strong but this 1 leans more towards the simulation(to give you an ideaif you get shot in the legs,you have to crawl to cover asap).

Hmmmmm,I seem to be being a bit negative here so Ill try to look on the bright side.....

You have the whole Battlefield series which offers great "WW2 arcade action"...no sorry,I cant do it,the whole BF series sucks ass,they are extremley inbalanced and the gameplay leaves something to be desired :nono: .There are a few mods out such as Desert Combat which try to rectify glaring gameplay issues but if I was you I would stay clear.Hopefully the Battlefield 2 game will make up for past failures but the last I heard it was delayed until possibly June.

The recent Novalogic games Joint Ops and Escalation are pretty good,allowing you to play with up to 150 players on a server with huge maps using all sorts of weapons,jeep's,tank's,boat's,heli's....bloody great....if they could only sort the netcode out so it wasnt so jerky and they finished the graphics engine so it looked like I wasnt still playing a beta I would probably still be playing it now instead of typing this drunken drivel.

Im running out of ideas fast now,but no doubt there will be a flood of people along soon to give you proper advice...Oh,Enemy Teritory is not bad at all!Its basically a mod(was supposed to be a sequel)of RTCW and although not a patch on the original its not a bad crack and seeing as its free you cant really go wrong(escpecially if you want to "shoot and drop bombs").

At the end of the day,you are probably the only one who can decide what game is best for you,theres plenty of demos out there you can try for nowt,so have a browse and play until you see what game is right for you.Have a look here:http://www.3dgamers.com/

Right Im off for a couple of hours in Planetside,have fun :smashin:

Disclaimer:I have partaken in several hours of mind altering err things so may edit this post when sobre(Oh and you definatley aint too old!)

7. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    get Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, extremely addictive! definatley has the 'one more go' factor.

8. pastor

pastor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to disagree partly with one of the previous posts - been playing the desert combat mod all the way from beta to final, and I have tried all the others mentioned also - but desert combat is the one I keep going back to. It helps to find a decent server and stick with it, not bounce around like a nomad, as the regulars on that server will over time become acquainted with you - just say hello and crack a joke once in a while - normal conversational icebreakers.
    Desert Combat not only allows you to wander around on foot, but also to drive a whole range of armoured vehicles from humvees to tanks to SCUD launchers. And fly anything from Blackhawks and Apaches to Hercules gunships.
    Did I forget there's ships too?
    And with Desert Combat extended you get to use British equipment!
    It is Fun with a capital F
    Whatever you decide, m8, have fun and stay calm - there's a lot of morons online and they're not worth the stress. A good server weeds them out and bans them, and if you decide on DC, look at the www.gamecommunity.co.uk website to see how a game server should be administrated - particularly the section that deals with cheats and banned users.
    see you in my gunsights

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No not a bit and to be honest you are still at more of a soloing stage, it's when you get a little higher around 12 and away from Durator (Horde) that you are powerful enough to 'hang with the posse' :D. Keep your eye on the chat for the stream of 'is anybody doing' and 'can anybody help with' then just volunteer. There hasn't been a single session that I have not been able to team up. Plenty of Guilds as well to join if you want.

Anyway give us a PM if you want to arrange a session. I'm a lvl 19 Shamen (got to lvl 40 in beta testing ) and can be like your big brother. :rotfl:

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +331
    Counterstrike source is very addictive but takes a lot of time investment to get good. The graphics and physics engine are great but the net code is a little suspect with regard to hit boxes and dodgey headshots a plenty;)
    Even with all it's faults it's still a great game imo. They're releasing updates and new content all the time so hopefully we wont have to wait too long for most of the issues to get ironed out. Lots of custom maps are being released all the time as well as remakes of older maps, but, since I have only been playing since the release of source they're all new to me. This will add variety and longevity to the game too.
    I'd thoroughly recomend it and you do get HL2 with the game too :smashin:

If you prefer larger war arena's with conventional vehicles and weapons then Joint operations is lots of fun but you need a good rig to get the best out of it. This held my attention for months till counter strike source came along. You can play as different character classes (sniper, medic, engineer, rifleman and gunner) which offers varied gameplay depending on how your feeling at the time. Different maps are applenty some of them are huge (50 square miles) which is where the vehicles come into play. Assault, advance and secure, TDM amd TKOTH are a few of the game types on offer.

and as to the age thing I'm 38 and have been gaming since the days of pong so I do not see why I should give up now :blush:

11. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Graham

Like the idea, but i'm on the other side of the fence as a human warrior, methinks.. :)

Clan idea is good, but do they work across different servers, or would we all have to be on the same one ?

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    Here's some ideas based upon game type -

Strategy - Hearts of Iron 2 or Rome: Total War
    FPS - Call of Duty, RTCW-ET (free game!), Counterstrike, Joint opps, BF1942
    MMORPG - City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Anarchy online, also look out for Dark and Light & Guild Wars coming soon.

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sorry I'm just a player like you and don't know the finer points of server interaction but kinda had the impresion that all servers fed the same world as it were. Can't guild with the alliance though, you could create a second char and join the horde if you want, just for experience and help. Any how I think i'll go rob some corpses for a bit.

:thumbsup:

14. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    warning,this game is seriously addictive! :eek:

den,level 14 mage :rolleyes:

15. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    whats you nick on wwp ?

you must have heard of the Lords Of Rope ? ;)

16. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Yeah,sorry,I dont think my post came accross very well :blush: I totally agree that Desert Combat is the best of the BF bunch although it is a little vehicle orientated.To my knowledge the people behind that mod are working with Dice on Battlefield 2 so definatley one to look forward to :clap:

I loved Joint Ops for months and played it to death but after playing Counter Strike source I just couldnt play it anymore.CS is just so smooth and has such good graphics that it made JO look awful and incredibly jerky to the point that I just couldnt bring myself to play it anymore.Now after a couple of months of dodgy headshots and repetetive maps in CS Im sick of that to.Its a shame we dont have a game with the depth and ambition of Joint Ops with the looks and physics of CS source,at least not yet :lease:

A game that I played for about 6 months solid was Planetside(www.planetside.com)and after taking over a year away from it Ive just started playing it again a couple of weeks ago and Im absolutley loving it :D (although playing it till 4 every morning isnt healthy :suicide: )Unfortunatley this game does require a monthly sub but seeing as you can pick the actual game up very cheaply now ,at £7 a month you will get quite a few months (very)intensive gaming for the same price as your average pc game ;)

17. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,748
    Thanks to everyone for your replies (and for telling me I'm not too old!!!).
    My only problem now is that I'm still a little confused... (Blonde you see..).
    Do I need to go out and buy the original game and load it up onto the pc and then go online, or do I just go online and join in? And if so, how do I do that? I really am a newbie when it comes to pc gaming.
    Went out about 6-7 months ago and bought a couple of pc games so I've just dug them out and I think I'll give them a try.. They are Delta Force - Black Hawk Down and another one some of you may have heard of called Half Life.. The Half Life is in a big pack called Half Life Generation and appears to have 4 games in it. Half Life, Opposing Force, Counter Strike and Blue Shaft. Is the Counter Strike the same one you guys mentioned here earlier? If so, can I just load it up and start playing? (I think we all know thats what I'm aboutt o try anyway! ;-) ). Or is it advisable to play the game just on the computer for a few times to get the hang of it and the controls and stuff?

I'm so used to playstation gaming (not that I've done that for years!) and the last time I used a computer and keyboard for playing games it was on my Commodore 64! Which I had from new... Oh those were the days... We were real gamers in those days, not like ya broadband, Dolby 5.1 malarky you get nowadays.. Honestly, gamers today, don't know they're born... Hee hee hee!

Right, I'm off to attack this Half Life - Counter Strike.....

18. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,748
    Well I loaded up all 4 of the Half life games and was having a little play with them... Bit hard ain't they!!! Where's me Pac-Man, I could get on with that... :-(
    Anyways, kept trying to get online but no luck, I guess that there is no-onw playing these games or versions or whatever online at the mo? Also it kept sayin that my versions were out of date but then it couldn't update them? Any help?

19. bhd_gamer_8208

bhd_gamer_8208

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not sure the right way to post a message here, but this works. anyways, i need help in hosting for Novalogic's Black Hawk Down. i host a server from my computer and i have heard from friends that when they try and join my hosted server, it will not let them. so obviously, no one is able to connect to the server. i do not know how to fix this. i dont know if it has something to do with some kind of firewall. if you have any clue as to what i can do to fix this, please e-mail me at [email protected]. thanks

20. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    BHD Gamer , you might want to repost this under a new thread , you'll get more replies that way.
    Sry ive no answer to your question but it does sound like a firewall problem in not letting others access to your system , have you tried disableing the windows firewall?