Online Ordering for Delivery - Essential Items Only?

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else stopped buying anything physical online for delivery that they'd deem non-essential (e.g. movies, music, electronic equipment)?

Personally there's stuff I think that would be pretty cool to get to entertain myself at home while we are in lockdown, but then I think it's probably not a good idea to increase the contact people in the supply chain would have (from the shop, to the delivery drivers) for something that I don't really need.
It does mean some shops I'd order from (not really talking about Amazon here) would have reduced revenue though and that could push them out of business.

Yes.

But I'm just trying to budget for the long-term and not spend unnecessary cash as opposed to coming into contact with delivery drivers.

Any I've had are as keen to keep away from you as you are them and will happily talk to you through the door, sign it for you and leave it on the doorstep.

I've got two 20mm scale plastic kits of French H35 tanks for my wargaming army en-route from China - but they are essential.

But I did order before it really kicked off - bit worried I won't ever see them.

Cheers,

Nigel

I ordered Final Fantasy VII remake in August 2016 due April 10th 2020, I won't buy anything else, promise!

I just broke curfew and put the bins out.

No sniper red dots on me although I did zig-zag a bit.

I have been trying to buy a switch which is hard work at the moment

Got a QLED on the way but only because Currys didn't have the stock. Wont order anything else now.

I figured I won't get a holiday, and since we're staying in for the forseable future its the best time to get that upgrade I've previously been too frugal to get.

It will be nice if it arrives, but if it doesn't, I get that there's more important things in the world right now.

I just broke curfew and put the bins out.

No sniper red dots on me although I did zig-zag a bit.

I know you're joking, but I was wondering what I'm supposed to regarding this: My wife has symptoms, so we are in isolation. Our kitchen bin/recycling boxes are getting full and I don't know what is allowed/acceptable since putting potentially contaminated bin bags and recycling out doesn't seem fair on the refuse collectors, but I can't stock pile it indefinitely.

I know you're joking, but I was wondering what I'm supposed to regarding this: My wife has symptoms, so we are in isolation. Our kitchen bin/recycling boxes are getting full and I don't know what is allowed/acceptable since putting potentially contaminated bin bags and recycling out doesn't seem fair on the refuse collectors, but I can't stock pile it indefinitely.

I'd check for official advice, but as I understand it the virus doesn't survive in the open air for long. If you put your rubbish out a few days in advance it should be fine. Or, if in doubt, leave a note for the binmen.

I'd check for official advice, but as I understand it the virus doesn't survive in the open air for long. If you put your rubbish out a few days in advance it should be fine. Or, if in doubt, leave a note for the binmen.
And double bag.

The virus needs to get to a respiratory tract and doesn't survive very long on surfaces. Think about that for a minute. Hospitals aren't worrying as much as you are.
Put your bags in the bin the day before. Wash your hands beforehand, and If you really want to make it as safe as possible wipe the bin handles. I daresay your bin man will be wearing gloves.
Stop worrying.

Since when do bin men touch anything but the bins? Up here in Edinburgh if you are putting 'contaminated' stuff out it has to be double bagged and not put out for 72 hours, how they can possibly police this is a mystery.

Last edited:
Got a QLED on the way but only because Currys didn't have the stock. Wont order anything else now.

I figured I won't get a holiday, and since we're staying in for the forseable future its the best time to get that upgrade I've previously been too frugal to get.

It will be nice if it arrives, but if it doesn't, I get that there's more important things in the world right now.
A missed opportunity you should have experienced OLED before it all ends. Now you never get to experience how good a movie in the home can look. LCD pah 😂😜

I cancelled £115 worth of 4k steelbooks from Zavvi, more because they wouldn't change my delivery address from work to home. But then I thought do I really need more movies that I won't watch?

I wanted some junk food for delivery the other night and after taking it over with a friend (via text) she put me right of, who knows who is touching the food.

I got two Blu-rays on preorder which I will keep but other then that is save money mode. I cancelled my Plex pass and crounchyroll sub as well.

Last edited:
Ordered dove soap and colgate toothpaste off ebay, because we're out and the local shop is out too..

I've ordered a hair trimmer from Amazon, personally I class this as essential because no hairdressers are open or likely to be open any time soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom