Online gaming with internet dongles

Tankdown

Standard Member
I have recently moved into university halls which provide us with a wireless only internet connection that at best could be described as fairly awful. The download speed is very slow and the connection wavers in and out (unhelpful when I need a stable internet connection for online tests and the like.)

Anyhow, I am now seriously considering buying an internet package for myself but will have to use wireless internet as I am not permitted to plug in my own router/make use of the phone line.

The problem I am facing is that if I am going to be buying wireless internet for myself, I would like to buy one that would allow me to play games online on my PS3 but have heard that there are severe latency issues with said internet.

In effect what I am asking is: is there a provider/a way to use wireless internet with PS3 online and experience a good connection with minimal latency issues?

Thanks

Workshed

Not really. The lag problems associated with 3G dongles are pretty fundamental to how the technology works. If you think that your dongle has to send a signal out to a 3G mast somewhere over the air (perhaps several miles away - and it won't travel as fast as a signal down a copper cable), the 3G mast then sends it on to your 3G providers servers and out it goes on to the internet, then reverse the whole process to get your response back and you're unfortunately in a heap of lag :(

Tankdown

Standard Member
Not really. The lag problems associated with 3G dongles are pretty fundamental to how the technology works. If you think that your dongle has to send a signal out to a 3G mast somewhere over the air (perhaps several miles away - and it won't travel as fast as a signal down a copper cable), the 3G mast then sends it on to your 3G providers servers and out it goes on to the internet, then reverse the whole process to get your response back and you're unfortunately in a heap of lag :(
That definitely does not sound good. There wouldn't be another way of getting wireless internet without needing a dongle would there?

Also, if I were to buy a dongle, would either of these--or anything like them--help lower latency or would I still face similar issues?
Edimax 3G-6200N nLite WiFi 3G Broadband Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Zoom 3G Wireless-N Desktop Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Workshed

You could try a couple of baked bean tins and some string but I doubt it'd be any better ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. No, unfortunately not as I said it's fundamental to how "mobile broadband" over 3G works. So changing the component that accesses the 3G network isn't going to affect the performance of the 3G network - the dongle itself isn't the problem. You could try it but I expect you'll find it's only really suitable for downloading things off the store and seeing who's online/messaging but you could do that on the ropey halls wifi anyway I assume.

Tankdown

Standard Member
Ugh, ok. And yes, from the sounds of it all I would be getting is a more stable connection for the same tasks. Thanks anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom