Online gaming violation of international law

uncleclives

Have they got nothing better to do... :laugh:

Earlier this year, game maker Activision counted up that 62 billion people had been 'killed' virtually in online games of Call of Duty: Black Ops - including 242 million stabbed to death at close range.
That's just one title among hundreds of modern war games - most of which lack any kind of 'surrender' button bar switching the machine off.

Now, a committee of the Red Cross is debating if gamers might be violating the International Humanitarian Law as they slaughter each other online.

'While the Movement works vigorously to promote international humanitarian law worldwide, there is also an audience of approximately 600 million gamers who may be virtually violating International Humanitarian Law,' said the committee's site.
'Exactly how video games influence individuals is a hotly debated topic, but for the first time, Movement partners discussed our role and responsibility to take action against violations of this law in video games.

There is, however, an overall consensus and motivation to take action.
Whether or not gamers who had won the longest 'killstreaks' - an uninterrupted run of kills in online games - could be prosecuted is another question.
The committee's action is aimed more towards developers: as war games become more realistic, do they have a responsibility to add humanitarian elements to their games?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ced-obey-Geneva-convention.html#ixzz1fq7lOyah

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I was all set to read it then noticed its the Daily Mail :laugh:

MarlonSays

Novice Member
Read this and thought I'd massively overslept...to 1st April!

Seriously, I don't get it, what law/s are they going on about here?

uncleclives

Read this and thought I'd massively overslept...to 1st April!

Seriously, I don't get it, what law/s are they going on about here?

Mainly put the post up for a chuckle you know what the daily mail are like! :laugh:

I think they are just debating the ethics of war in video games as they are getting more realistic. Imagine if you shoot an unarmed medic in a battlefield type game you will get demoted in rank. Say you go on a mass killing spree of civvies you get arrested by the military police and banned from playing for a day.:D

LJx

Whether or not gamers who had won the longest 'killstreaks' - an uninterrupted run of kills in online games - could be prosecuted is another question.
:laugh:

kav

Distinguished Member
Ah the Daily Mail - the funniest part is reading the comments - click on the Best and Worst rated for some belly laughs.

Worst rated comment at present:

I would go even further and ban all these war games. The reactions from some of the youngsters I see playing these games says it all. Working themselves into a violent frenzy killing almost everything the frequent use of abusive language as the do it. I'm afraid anybody who thinks that this is JUST a game and believes it leaves no violent imprint on the mind is living in the same world as their game portrays. .... Have I played these games?.......Yes I have but not ever again.

:laugh:

michaelro

Wonder what they must think of GTA :eek:

Sleeping with a prozzie, killing and taking back the money followed by a tank rampage through the city killing hundreds of civillians...:rotfl:

MarlonSays

Novice Member
"Have I played these games?.......Yes I have but not ever again."

Looks like someone got their butt handed to them royally...:laugh:

MrTayto

Novice Member
Kav said:
Ah the Daily Mail - the funniest part is reading the comments - click on the Best and Worst rated for some belly laughs.

Worst rated comment at present:

I would go even further and ban all these war games. The reactions from some of the youngsters I see playing these games says it all. Working themselves into a violent frenzy killing almost everything the frequent use of abusive language as the do it. I'm afraid anybody who thinks that this is JUST a game and believes it leaves no violent imprint on the mind is living in the same world as their game portrays. .... Have I played these games?.......Yes I have but not ever again.

Sounds like my wife! I'm forever getting in trouble for 'bad language' playing games! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom