1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online gaming PC help

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by captaineyecatch, Jul 17, 2002.

1. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm trying to play some online games on my PC (unreal,soldier fortune,half life etc) But i cant seem to get a playble Ping rate.
    The best Ping i get is 380 and it averages at 450 which is pretty much unplayable. I'm using a 56k modem so i know i wont get good pings but surely i should be getting better than that??
    The isp i use is AOL does this make any difference??

2. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try playing late evening/early morning and see if it makes a difference. Also try a different ISP, preferably one that is not as common.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a little info

Broadband is getting alot cheaper, 56k and gamin = the pits

You have the lag my son :D

4. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Where are the machines you're trying to play on.
    If you're trying to connect to the states you'll get terrible pings. Try more local machines(?).

5. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually only have a 56K Modem but use NTL. And although you get the occasional lag more often than not it is still fairly playable. There are so many servers for games like UT etc. that you can go for the low ping ones without any trouble.

6. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the help. I cant get broadband as i live in a village so thers no cable and BT wont upgrade the phone exchange till they get a lot of broadband orders (as i'm the only person to register my interest i think i will be waiting a loooooong time:mad: )
    The Games i'm trying to join are in the uk so lag shouldnt be a massive problem.
    I think i'll try a different isp.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    before you chuck your current isp.......

have you done a trace route or netstat to identify where your lag is coming from? is it inside your current isp's network or is it outside your isp's network?

if you do a trace, post it so i/we can have a look.

try using this program here, ------->"Ping Plotter" to diagnose your problem and pinpoint it to a specific node or router.

if the lag is inside your isp's network then switching to another game server won't help. but you can contact your isp and try to get them to help you eliminate the lag. or just change to a different isp at this point.
    if the lag is outside your isp's network then changing to a diferent game server more than likely will be the easiest thing to do.

good luck

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    AOL = Lame

AOL is the worst ISP to use for online gaming, I used to work for them :)

Try some of the other ISP's you should notice a difference. Also, have you looked into ISDN? Although nearly the same amount as broadband it will give you a really good ping for online gaming (although download will still suck).

For ISPs it is hard for me to recommend one as I have been using broadband for nearly 2 years, however it is worth looking at ISPreview.com and netfornowt (if it still exists). These were two good sites for cheap ISPs.

I doubt you will get a nice decent ping if you do live out in the sticks mainly due to the amplifiers and wires you will be running through.

9. fastercainy

fastercainy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D hi i am a on line gamer also for 3 yrs im on AOL and never any probs. The probs youve got is that soldior of fortune is not a zone game www.zone.msn.com there the best server for on line gaming:D if its not on the zone then theres no one at home..sorta thing..go buy FS2002 and ill fly with yeah