Online gaming minimum broadband speed

jinxyav

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a PS3 and want to use it to play online.

Just wondered what broadband speeds you guys use to access online gaming??? I don't want to suffer any lag!

I have 8MB ADSL BT Broadband, however it hardly ever goes about 2/2.5 Meg with a upload of about 350kb/s which I think is pretty terrible, shame Virgin are not in the area... :thumbsdow

I have recently bought a PS3 and want to use it to play online.

Just wondered what broadband speeds you guys use to access online gaming??? I don't want to suffer any lag!

I have 8MB ADSL BT Broadband, however it hardly ever goes about 2/2.5 Meg with a upload of about 350kb/s which I think is pretty terrible, shame Virgin are not in the area... :thumbsdow

You'll be fine to go online :) . Unfortunately no matter how good you're internet connection is you cannot eliminate lag completely. There are so many deciding factors, such as server, other peoples connections etc etc

Good question, i get an even lower 1.5mbps so would be interested in responses to this. Although i seem to get a stable 45k on upload..

However i think you mean 35kb/s as 350 would equate to a download speed of around 2mb per second, which is very rapid indeed...

Good question, i get an even lower 1.5mbps so would be interested in responses to this. Although i seem to get a stable 45k on upload..

However i think you mean 35kb/s as 350 would equate to a download speed of around 2mb per second, which is very rapid indeed...

This is what I mean...

219504664.png

Pretty rubbish when you pay for 'upto' 8Mb... had 4Mb Virgin at my old address and it was faster!

219504664.png

Just to let you know that I'm getting 173kb/s upload speed(on a 8mb connection) and I play online without any problem, and with minimal lag. You'll be fine.

Ahh ok, so that's listing kilobits rather than kilobytes then.

I don't know why ISP's etc use that lingo as it's completely confusing when everything you download/stream etc is measured in bytes.

Your 373kb/s speed would translate into around 46kbytes/s upload speed then, which is pretty much the same as i've got.

Your 2414 down is around 300kbytes/s download speed, not too bad, download a meg in around 3 secs...

You will be fine - i've just changed isp but was previously on about 1500kb/s down and 250kb/s up and online gaming was fine.

Now on 9500kb/s down and 1000kb/s up:thumbsup:

This is mine, the download is ok i think, but the upload is cr@p.

How do i get more upload speeds????

OMG!! I am so jealous of you all, complaining about your slow connections.

Don't get me wrong I can still play online with no lag so thats great, but when it comes to downloading anything OMG it takes a lifetime.

Anyways, here's my connection speeds for everyone to feel smug about...

I think sony say the minimum recommended speed is 512kbps dont know the minimum upload though.

I've never played online, would it be possible with this data.....:confused:

yeah, you'll easily be able to play online since you have a better connection than mine and i play online fine enough. I don't have cod4 so i don't know how bad the lag would be on that with a connection like ours but if monstaracerr is getting lag with cod4 with his connection, it could probably mean there is a problem at the other end of the servers.

I've never played online, would it be possible with this data.....:confused:

I think you will be fine - even with CoD 4. If you look at monstarracerr stats from speedtest.net although the downloadupload speed is very good it is showing a pretty high ping for a connection to a server in the UK.

Raw speed is fine but you need low latency to have minimal/no lag for online gaming - this is one of the reasons i left Virgin media. Although i thought their problems related to adsl - i presume monsarracerr has a cable connection so i am a bit surprised the ping is so bad.

I had a connection not much different to yours before i switched isp and could play CoD 4 with no lag during the rare times my pings were relatively low but once they got up over 100ms or so i would start to see the lag.

Speed in terms of throughput (what you guys are listing as the main figures in those speedtests) is irrelevant.

Your latency is what is important, the speed it takes to go from A-B not how much you can transfer in one go to A-B. You want a linford christie connection not a Geoff Capes :p

You should be looking at your ping results. To have a decent online game you need a stable connection, you can use your PC to test this, download a utility like pingplotter or run a "ping <internet address> -t". This will run a continuous ping, what you are looking for is dropped packets, namely times when the ping doesn't get a response, this means that normally you are losing data, which generally means lag in game.

If you ping is above 50 (average over some time) then I would worry, this means that you are not getting decent latency and your online gaming will be affected.

Generally, the biggest difference to your connection speed is your ISP. If you are getting crap latency, unfortunately 90% of the time the only option is to change ISP.

that was a test on my flat mates laptop, so i'm guessing glitch, but its usually about this:

speedtest19.jpg

or

speedtest18.jpg

but i have to say recently, the lagging has become a whole new issue! I believe it might have something to do with....

a) my router... linksys wrt54gs version 7

its set up so that dmz is open for my flat mates ps3, the currently only ps3 on the network, is open on his ip.
not sure if this router is suitable?? any help?

b) my flat mates!! one of my flat mates... computer illitirate,:lesson: insists on going on azureus and other torrent programs, which dramatially slow down the network... to less than 1mb and then it continued to show azureus on the ps3 as a media server:thumbsdow :S the network is not set up for torrent sharing...

is it not set up correctly? it worked fine the first day we set it up...

also... I'm in the process of getting myself a ps3... not sure wether to hold out to see whats coming or just go ahead and purchase now?? :confused:
but i want to add a second ps3 to the network... i know about port forwarding but surely that would only allow one ps3 to connect?

If i connect it to the net through my mac... which acts as a router... would this work?
one can be wired to the router... maybe both of them

is there any special way of configuring the router other wise...

any help with any of these questions answered would be a huge help.. HUGE HELP!!! :lease:

MONSTA

Its mainly about upload speed.

This is mine, the download is ok i think, but the upload is cr@p.

How do i get more upload speeds????

Pay more money :D

I'm with ADSL24, had the choice of their standard or office produce.

Their standard is 30GB peak, 300GB off peak (peak 8am - 10pm Mon - Fri) for £19.99

Their office is 45GB peak, 300GB offpeak (peak 8am - 8pm Mon - Fri) for £29.38

The benefit of paying the extra tenner is I get 15GB extra peak download, peak time ends at 8pm, plus I get DOUBLE the normal upload speed.

More expensive than some out there but a first class service

I have not played online with my PS3 yet. Will I be ok with this sort of connection speed?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom