1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online DVD Rentals - Free Trials

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by MLS, Apr 23, 2005.

1. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been taking advantage of the various free trials that all the DVD rental companies are offering at the moment - partly because it seemed daft not to, and partly to see if it was worth giving up my Sky Movies subscription and putting the money towards DVD rentals instead.

After using six suppliers (listed below), I seem to have run out of people willing to offer me free trials, as there are so many brand names using the same few providers. So far I have used:

Webflix
    Cinema Paradiso
    DVDs365
    Blockbuster
    FilmFour (LoveFilm)
    Tesco (Video Island)

Does anyone know of any other companies not using any of the above?

For what it's worth, I thought Tesco and FilmFour were both very good - mainly sent disks as per priority lists, and no problems with delivery, qulaity of disks or returns.

I had a couple of problems with DVDs365 (one damage disk, one incorrect disk), but they were very good at correcting the problems quickly without fuss. Blockbuster were also pretty good.

Not so sure about Webflix, as they took three days to send me the first disk and the third dik they sent me was about 10th in my queue. Cinema Paradiso has been the worst of all - in my two week trial they managed to send me just four disks, and one of those was the bonus disk for a movie they hadn't sent! MLS

2. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Why not try the biggest one then:

www.screenselect.co.uk

I've been with them for over a year now & they are very reliable.

3. Gugbe

Gugbe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Video Island and Screen Select are one and the same now, so I don't imagine you'll be able to get a screen select free trial if you've already done Tesco.

After trying them all myself, screen select was the best for service. I went for Tesco because it offers that screen select service slightly cheaper.

4. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks PartyWeb, but Gugbe is correct... Video Island bought ScreenSelect recently - just before I tried to get a free trial with them :mad: - so I can't get another one with them now.

There appear to be only six suppliers, despite there being dozens of brand names. So far, my experience suggests Video Island/ScreenSelect are the biggest and the best (based on my Tesco trial) and they would certainly be the one I went for if I decided to join any of them. MLS

5. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    What about amazon rentals?

6. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Actually screenselect bought Video Island along with a little company called in-movies that I was with.

7. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :oops: my mistake PartyWeb! The ScreenSelect website says it is "powered by Video Island", so I guess they thought that Video Island offered the better service/systems.

Cloysterpeteuk - Thanks for the Amazon suggestion, as they do seem to run their own rental service, rather than using one of the six I've already mentioned. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer a free trial, which is all I'm looking for at this stage. Cheers. MLS

8. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I do like screenselect's review section. As they have a lot of customers there are generally a huge selectoin of reviews on all their films

9. Rediffusion

Rediffusion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks Rediffusion. :thumbsup: MLS

11. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you've missed the boat on this 'scam'. In 2004 there were loads of these companies, I did them all, but then they started to merge at the end of the year.

I didn't pay for a rental for 10 months, and now I get emails asking me to try them again for another 2 week trial :)

Currently with Love film, getting 3 months for the price of one.

Regards

The Dude

12. parkender

parkender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here - I’ve tried nearly all the free trials and haven’t had to rent a film for over 18 months - between us my wife/kids and I must have seen at least 100 DVD’s. I would also say that I’ve actually had more than one trial with the same company - ie Screenselect, VideoIsland etc. I’d ignore the ‘powered by’ or ‘in conjunction with’ statement as the free trial contract is with the company offering the trial and not the supplier of DVD’s to these companies – in other words the free trial is with Tesco not VideoIsland.

13. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised that you got away with it as I got stung by signing with someone, in effect, twice, although they had different front ends.

14. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Been with In Movies/Screenselect for nearly two years now, service is superb and can usually get around 6 dvd's per week on the £14.99 3 at a time tarif

15. venablesphil

venablesphil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried a few of them and I have found Lovefilm to be the best for me, I ve just signed up with them again like someone above said. £14.99 for three months unlimited rental (three at a time) seems like a good deal to me. But saying that you they are all pretty good and there a lot of free trails to be had!!! :D

16. rishi

rishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0