1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Digital Printing?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Zippo, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Zippo

Zippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have never used online digital processing laboratories before and wanted some advice before parting with my hard earned cash!

Abbeycolor Photographic Laboratories seems competitive and fotobox appear to be fast.

Has anyone used these companies or others like them? If so, what are your thoughts on cost and reliability?

Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Having tried a number of the different ones, I have ended up sticking with Photobox because as you say, they are fast, the quality has always been very good and they offer a matt finish (at no extra charge) which I think looks a lot better.

You might also want to read this thread.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been very pleased with www.bonusprint.com , who seem to be one of the cheapest around, quality is great & delivery is usually 48hrs.

4. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if its been mentioned previously, but if you go to http://photos.blueyonder.co.uk you can register with them (which is really Photobox) and get 30 photos for free. I tried them out a few days ago and was really impressed with the results. For me they seem pretty much perfect. I've a Canon S50 and have always been a little put off by the companies that force me to download and use their software to upload my photos - I have this fear that they're gonna resize them to 50kb 1024x768 or something .jpg files before uploading/printing them.

Photobox really impressed me when I saw that I could FTP my photos in their full (not RAW, but super-fine large .jpg) glory to their server. I even tried cropping a couple of photos and looking at the result I cannot see any loss in quality.

So at the moment, I'm extremely happy with Photobox.

Now, although not online digital printing, Boots are doing an offer at the moment where you can get 50 digital photos printed for £5. You just have to take your media card into a store and the photos will be ready the following day. I've just taken a card with 50 photos on it (just over 100mb) to my local store and look forward to comparing some of them with those I got from photobox at the weekend.

5. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a follow up note here now that I've got a set of "50 for £5" photos back from Boots yesterday. The paper used I believe is the same Fuji something-or-other paper as Photobox used on the order I got from them a few days ago.

Quality seemed fine, although there is one problem I've got with this boots deal - photo size and cropping....

My Canon S50 takes photos at 2592x1944 resolution, which WxH=1.333. At Photobox I could choose the size of photos and the default ones I had were 6"x4.5" - which is 1.333. Perfect.

The boots photos on the other hand only seem to be 6"x4" which is 1.5.

All of my photos had a small amount at the top and bottom cropped off so that they would fit onto the 6"x4" paper they use. For the photos I took in earlier this week, a few shots will have to be printed again elsewhere (ie,. photobox) at the 6"x4.5" size to ensure the top of my head and my feet are not taken from the photos.

So, my current plan is to get another couple of batches printed at boots as part of the special offer, then go back to photobox as its so so convenient for me.

6. Flipper

Flipper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Another thumbs up for BonusPrint. Uploaded my pics using
    the link already in WinXp. Prints arrived in 48 hours.

7. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found out the following... Boots will only do 6"x4" photos (well, they do enlargements etc. but i'm not talking about that here), and their suggestion to stop them cropping the images was for me to do it myself before taking my memory card to them. I'm not sure what the resolution is on other cameras, but as they won't do 6"x4.5" prints, that pretty much discards Boots from my decision making (that being said, I did just take another 100 photos down there for developing as part of the current special offer).

I think i'll take a closer look at the BonusPrint site and see what they have to offer.

8. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've used ofoto recently and could set cropping on/off which helped. I sent some heavily cropped pics (by me) in and they came back as expected which was pleasing.
    Speed of delivery was OK too (couple of days).

9. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Theres an article reviewing online printing services in the Jan Edition of Digital Camera Magazine. Photobox came out the overall winner, followed by Ofoto.

Incidentally, Ofoto have a few offers on at the mo; 10x 4x6 prints for free (think its about 99p for postage) and also a half price offer that ends on the 18th of Jan.

10. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Anybody know of a UK or European based company that prints large (say 12" x 48") panoramic pictures?

I've found one in the US, but they want 2$ per 6" + shipping. Just wondering... or else I'll probably buy a new printer and use that just for pano's.

Thanks!

11. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i send my pics to sony in sweeden over the net and they are back within the week. postage is £1.5 and 6.5x4 prints are 22p each. they will also do prints up to 28"x20" and panaramic as well. i have had some A4 (ish) sized prints as well as standard size and the quality is spot on. they come on agfa paper.

i chose them because 2 years ago when i got my digi cam they were the only people who didnt crop the photos.

matt

12. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Matt, do you have a URL for that? Sweden is pretty close for me (Finland) :-D

Thanks

13. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    photobox print up to 30" x 20", postage is £1.99 outside UK.

15. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Chaps! Much appreciated :)

16. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

17. Zippo

Zippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info guys!

I thought I would let you know my first impressions. I tried abbeycolor laboratory as they have at the moment a free 10 x 8 offer on with your first order.

The prints were on agfa paper, excellent quality and competative. Also they have a "Dealer" service which is open to anyone. I just added a link to my website to download thier software and any orders recieved via me, I get a commision on!

Bonusprint apparently also use agfa paper and seem VERY cheap. so that will be my next try.

Wish I had used these services earlier I must admit:smashin:

18. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just to let you know guys, I found this test - http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_online_print_services.php - peak imaging, photobox, colab were joint winners with all strength and weaknesses.

Zippo
    colab only £0.12/6x4 print, and p&p £2.22, also the test concluded that bonusprint had a bad overall quality.

Wasabi

19. walker

walker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have used fotoboxwww.fotobox.co.uk quite a lot amd they have just reduced all there prices. I have also spoken to them and if you email you order no to them and ask for Matte they will do that for you as well