Online book shops

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Guys,

I havent read a good book for a long time & as I'm about to move out & have LOTS of spare time but no spare money it's time I found a cheap way to pass the time & books have always been good for that :D

So I'm looking for good cheap places online to get my books from.

I found a novel today in my local Borders called Demons written by John Shirley sounds right up my street (Horror & Cyberpunk by all accounts :thumbsup: ) it's £10 in Borders

I've had a quick look at all the usual suspects...Amazon, Play, BOL but all are still around the £10 mark plus postage where applicable so I was just curious if you knew of anywhere a bit cheaper?
If not it's a trip to Borders again tomorrow lunchtime to pick it up from them.

Thanks for any help.

Neil

colinwheeler

I don't know about new releases but Amazon are great if you look into the market place offers. I got all 7 Julian May books (great series if you like a bit of a SciFi Fantasy mix) for less than £20 including postage from various sellers. That is a month and a half worth of reading entertainment for me for £20.:smashin:

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
colinwheeler said:
I don't know about new releases but Amazon are great if you look into the market place offers. I got all 7 Julian May books (great series if you like a bit of a SciFi Fantasy mix) for less than £20 including postage from various sellers. That is a month and a half worth of reading entertainment for me for £20.:smashin:
Well your quite right just had a quick look on their market place thingy & managed to order Demons for £8.70 delivered :smashin: :smashin:

Thanks for that now just need to decide what else I want to read :)

Neil

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
How is Ebay for books? I'd love to get hold of some old books I read at school...like Roger Red Hat etc. and I think there was a series called Tim and Tobias or something like that...

...all my regular books are from BOL and ASDA...

S

shadowritten

Decadence said:
How is Ebay for books? I'd love to get hold of some old books I read at school...like Roger Red Hat etc. and I think there was a series called Tim and Tobias or something like that...

...all my regular books are from BOL and ASDA...
I used eBay to find a treasured childhood book that I lost: 'Lucky Les'. Written in the mid-fifties, it must be one of the earliest examples of a 'choose-your-own-adventure' book. Hours of fun! :D

colinwheeler

To be honest, I prefer to use Amazon for books as I don't really trust eBay to protect my transactions that much. Amazon back thier market transactions and although I have never had a problem with Amazon, I have with eBay transactions. Don't know if this is fair or not, just my perception.

Garrett

Try this book for me it is is just the most perfect Sc-Fi book ever. It is a story within itself but there are more in the series if you like and you be hard put not to like it.

Digger

How about the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. A great read for adults as well as kids...if you wish to escape for a while...who doesn't?...:)

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I go through a book a week . I've got stacks of them around the house.I'm thinking of flogging them on the classifieds on here.

Digger

Mr.D said:
I go through a book a week . I've got stacks of them around the house.I'm thinking of flogging them on the classifieds on here.
Ooh...I'm interested. What kind of a collection/subjects might you have on offer ? ... :)

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
i know its such an outdated prospect, but try wandering around a library, you'll be surprised how easy it is to find something that takes your fancy because its there in front of you....and its freeeeeeeee (i think...used to be...havnt been for a while myself as i tend to buy my books from a bookshop when i want something different.....if its star wars based i just order it from amazon or smiffs.....heh).......thing about libraries is they will usually have a lot of older out of print stuff.......worth a look ;-)

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
Knyght_byte said:
i know its such an outdated prospect, but try wandering around a library, you'll be surprised how easy it is to find something that takes your fancy because its there in front of you....and its freeeeeeeee (i think...used to be...havnt been for a while myself as i tend to buy my books from a bookshop when i want something different.....if its star wars based i just order it from amazon or smiffs.....heh).......thing about libraries is they will usually have a lot of older out of print stuff.......worth a look ;-)

And occasionally they sell off some of there books for Oxfam type prices.

Heart Foundation, Oxfam etc are also good places to check(and virtually every High Street in th UK has at least 4 examples of charity shops)

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
The libraries near me have a great selection of contempory works , if you speak urdu.
Mostly it gets used as a cheap video rental shop.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Digger said:
Ooh...I'm interested. What kind of a collection/subjects might you have on offer ? ... :)

Lots of recent scifi and other bits and bobs , some of it hardback.

I'll have a shufty.

colinwheeler

Mr.D said:
Lots of recent scifi and other bits and bobs , some of it hardback.

I'll have a shufty.
Kieth, I would also be very interested in finding out what you have. Any chance of putting together a full list?

colinwheeler

Digger said:
How about the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. A great read for adults as well as kids...if you wish to escape for a while...who doesn't?...:)
I can also suggest this series. Very well done although the second book kills some people but worth plowing through to get to the last one.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
colinwheeler said:
Kieth, I would also be very interested in finding out what you have. Any chance of putting together a full list?

I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

CTT

Standard Member
colinwheeler said:

I'd second that. Julian May is up there with the best for SciFi Fantasy mix. For pure fantasy try Donaldson's Thomas Covenant chronicles and SciFi Donaldson's Gap Series.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Not offering these for sale yet but this will give you an idea . I'll compile a full list after I go through the rooms full of books I have.

Mostly scifi but I get through a fair amount of contempory fiction as well. Quite a lot is hardback as well.

Omega Jack Mcdevitt
Chindi
Deepsix
Slow Lightning
Eternity Road

Red Mars Kim Stanley Robinson
Blue Mars
Green Mars

Ilium Dan Simmons
Olympos

Cowl Neal Asher ( might have a few more of his others in hardback)

The Forever War Joe Haldeman
Forever Peace
Forever Free

Walking on Glass Iain Banks ( think this is autographed)
Dead Air ( hardback)
The Algebraist (Ian M Banks)
Feersum Endjinn
Inversions
A Song of Stone

The Sundering Walter Jon Williams
Conventions of War
(another one in the trilogy I can't remember)

The Wild David Zindell
War in Heaven
The Broken God

Oryx and crake Margaret Atwood ( hardback)

The possibility of an Island Michel Houellebecq

Lots of Philip K. Dick

Lots of William Gibson

Diamond Dogs , Turquoise Days (hardback) Alastair Reynolds

Most of the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson

Digger

Keith, from that lot Philip K Dick might be my only interest at the mo... thanks for creating the list...:smashin:

PoochJD

Mr D,

You mentioned about your local library not having what you want. Put a list together of some stuff you do want, and ask them to try and obtain some of it.

My local library had no foreign-language movies on DVD, until I got into pestering them to start. I compiled a list of the popular foreign stuff, as well as titles I wanted to see, and titles I think that other library users might like.

This was about 6 months ago now, and they now buy a lot of stuff I wouldn't have usually been able to see, unless I'd bought the discs myself!

If you don't tell them what you want, then they can't be expected to know! :lesson:

Good Luck! :)

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett