1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Blank Media Stockist Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Garrett, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    What is the cheapest place for online ordering of blank DVD-R disc for use in PC’s, recommended makes to use, and if possible quote how quick their delivery services they use are?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    I've used SVP a fair bit lately using 2x JVC DVD-R media (99p each) in my HS2 as my throw away media (not the cheapest but I'm yet to have a coaster). They have provided a very fast service at times (and other times taken a while):

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

I have had nothing but trouble with CDR Media. There service has been slow, unreliable and badly packaged. Out of 50 DVD cases I ordered over half turned up broken. Also some (admittedly dirt cheap DVD-Rs) turned up not in any form of case but put in a stack with sellotape ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM DISKS to hold them together and wrapped in bubble pack. However some people have raved about them in the past (and they are cheap):
    http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/sections.pl?id=12&tab=0

IMHO go with SVP though.

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Any idea how quick there delivery is?

Thanks for you replies Rasczak and JIT:smashin:

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have regularly purchased from SVP over the last 18 months and only on two occasions did delivery take longer than 5 days from the time of posting a cheque to the time of delivery.

Surprisingly perhaps on small orders and when I select delivery by the Royal mail the delivery is quicker than when i have to select a Private currier service on larger orders due to the fact the Royal mail charges inflate byond reason.

On the two occasions delivery was late it was because I selected the so called next day delivery by private currier.

Excellent company to deal with and good prices too.....Sorry about the ramble but you did ask about delivery times..:D :D

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    What sort of times can you record on a DVD?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Sorry - don't quite get what you mean by this - do you want to know what is the maximum length of time (in minutes) that you can record onto a DVD-R without breaking the DVD-Video specification?

If so you must record in one of the specified resolutions and must not go below the minimum bitrate (which I believe) is 1.4Mb/S which can equate to upto about 6 hours. Needless to say quality would be dire.

If you encode using the maximum bitrate of 9.8Mb/S (excluding control information) and maximum resolution you can only have 60 minutes but the quality is superb.

Or have I missed the point of the question? :confused:

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    I was on about what length of time like a blank CD if used for music comes in 74, 80 and even some now 90 minutes. I did not know you could record at different qualities.
    Which bit rate would you recommend for archiving Hi8 footage.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Oh I see - they are 120 minutes - but as I said you can record in a number of qualities/resolutions that fill up the disk quicker/slower as required.

I'm afraid I don't have much of a clue about Hi8 so can't really offer much in the way of useful advice. However for long term quality archiving I tend to archive about 90 minutes per DVD although the results tend to look good upto around 140 minutes after which you get a resolution drop. As always it depends on the quality of the original recording.