Online backup that supports network drive

imightbewrong

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy.

I currently use Carbonite for off-site backups at home. It's a good service but it does not support network drives - only local ones. My main computer is my HTPC, and I want to replace the HDD with a SSD. Now, I have about 100GB of files that I want backed up (mostly photos and videos) - using Carbonite these will all need to go on the SSD, which means getting at least a 160GB jobbie or bigger to support them and the OS (windows 7).

If I could put my photos etc on my NAS then I would only need a 40GB-er which would be a lot cheaper.

So - does anyone know of one that supports NAS drives? Or even better, runs as a Java app on the Qnap?

Ooh - looks like IDrive does maybe

It does not support network drives? Even if you map the drive to your computer? Would that not make it think that it is a local drive?

No - it integrates itself into Windows and knows what's going on - tried a few tricks to fool it but with no success :( If anyone knows a work-around I am listening :)

In that case I've heard good things about Mozy - it's perhaps worth looking into about network drives, I know it can do external drives but can't confirm network drives at all.

Interestingly I found this slightly old article:
How to Map a Hard Drive to a Directory

It mentions Mozy but also mentions about mapping drives to work with Carbonite, unless that has been patched out...

Thanks will have a look at that.

Just found a round-up of mozy vs carbonite vs idrive. Mozy came top but idrive was the only one that natively/officially supports network drives there.

Being able to just get an OS SSD vs a data one takes £250 off the cost :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom