1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Family Guy, Dec 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently playing with an Onkyo SR702E and first impressions are very good.
    Onkyo are not a well known company in this country, but they have been producing high end kit for the japanese and US markets for years - their high end brand is called Integra.

As I said, first impressions on this receiver are very good...but first, the bad points.
    The auto setup is a stinker. I have Miller & Kreisel speakers all round, which have an 80hz cutoff, and a REL Strata II sub. The auto setup set all my speakers to large and the sub cutoff to 120hz!! My advice - run the auto setup to EQ the speakers, but then set the size, cutoff and levels manually. Once I did this, it sounded rather good, though music in stereo is a little "boomy"...but I'll have a play with the settings, and I'm sure I'll get it set...
    The second bad point is that blue light aound the volume dial...OK, it looks good for about 5 seconds...but when the lights are dimmed and the PJ's running, it's the last thing you need. The good news though is that it can be switched off. One touch of the dimmer button on the remote kills it completly - and it stays off until you manually switch it on again with 4 presses of the dimmer button - even when you turn off and switch the amp back on, it stays off... :smashin:

So, how does it sound? Very nice thank you very much. With THX cinema engaged, Battlestar Gallactica fed via optical from Sky+ sounded very good, and with PLIIx & THX engaged, it was hard to tell the source wasn't actually in Dolby 5.1. 5.1 sources, again fed from Sky+ (The Core) sounded as good as my previous Denon 3805, and this Onkyo has not been run in yet, having only been out the box since Monday evening. Things will only get better as the amp runs itself in, or more than likely, my ears tune to it's sound.

So, for £700 (which is the reccomended price - you may find it cheaper), is it worth it? lets look at what it's up against before we answer that. I would probably throw this in the ring with the likes of the Yamaha 2400 or the Pioneer 2014i (both being THX select certified and having the same features as the Onkyo) not being an expert on these other 2 units (and having never seen or heard either of them...), I would suggest an audition of all 3 maybe and then make up your mind. But, if price is the governing factor in your decision, I think the Onkyo will win hands down...

2. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am split between the Onkyo 702 and the Yammy 1500. Also considered the Pioneers (1014/2014) but was advised on this forum that Pios are generally crap with music.

I posted before but no one seems to be familiar with the Onkyo, I also presume the brand is not popular in the UK
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1275780#post1275780

p.s. Pios are definitely the best looking out of the three

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Onkyo have (finally) set up Onkyo UK as opposed to going through a distributor so I would expect to see more and more of them as they get into their stride.

Their flagship DVD player is awesome and other items I have seen have been impressive.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say even that is in dispute mate...If you get an Onkyo in silver, the dispay on the fron is actually in gold... :cool:

The display on the black Onkyo's is in green...

5. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Onkyos have a real quality feel/handling

6. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have had an Onkyo 696 AV amp for 3 years now (cost around £850 at the time) and it still blows me away. Build quality is fantastic, very weighty feel. Still looks brand new. Even the remote (which is a learning remote and controls everything) still looks new after 3 years of grubby fingers.
    I have an Arcam CD72 playing through KEF Q55.2 speakers and find the sound to be incredibly good.
    When we bought it (from Audio-T in Brentwood) we demo'd it against the equivalent Denon and found the Onkyo more musical in stereo and just as good (if not better) in multi channel.
    I highly recommend Onkyo. First class kit.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw some of there kit at the What Hifi Show but unfortunately you could not listen to them :( The amps look really well built and i have never heard anyone complain about them before only good feedback! :)

John

8. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hey Family Guy! At last someone is talking about Onkyo and not the Denon 3805..I have been interested in this amp also but there is very little info about Onkyo on the web other than their own website. Where did you buy yours from as retailers seem a little thin on the ground also?
    I currently have a Sony 930 hooked up to Kef Q1s x 4 & the Q9c - do you know if this would be a good vfm upgrade to the 702?

cheers

berth

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bertha,
    the 702 is a baby in receiver terms - in that it's only been available for the last month or so. There is a list of official distributors on the Onkyo web site at www.onkyo.net.
    Retail price is around the £700 mark and I think it would be a positive upgrade from your current Sony 930, yes.

BTW, this replaced a Denon 3805 in my rack...and so far, the difference is very marginal. I now have the Onkyo sounding as good as the 3805 did after 2 weeks...and it's only been out of the box since Monday evening...I think as my ears tune to it's sound, it'll only get better.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check out the Onkyo TX-NR1000 - a modular integrated AV amp!
    Unfortunately it doesn't come cheap ... and seems to sell as TX-NR5000 in Europe I should add.

:oops:

11. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Integra DTR 6.4 (based on the Onkyo 701) and am quite happy with its sound. I'm sure you'll be happy with the 702.

12. KS Rai

KS Rai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all. For the benefit of those on this thread, the Onkyo TX-NR5000E will become available in January... I know this because I handle the company's UK public relations :)

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate & welcome to the forums. The 702 is still sitting nicely in the rack, sounding rather sweet. It does have one rather MAJOR fault though. The auto set up is A PIG and totally useless. It's so bad, I'm wondering why it's there in the first place... :confused:

As an home theatre installer, I have used many brands of amp and receiver, most of them these days having some sort of auto set up. Denon's and Yamaha's work rather well...very accurate on picking up crossover, speaker size and distance. The Onkyo isn't. To say the least. I have Miller & Kreisel speakers all round and a Rel StrataIII sub. The auto setup detects all my speakers as large and can't even detect the sub at all. It also sets the crossover ay 120hz!!! For a THX select amp, that's pretty poor. The £300 cheaper Yamaha 750 does a much better job at auto set up...

The eqializer is all pretty naff, to say the least. On a Denon 3805 I installed, after running the auto set up and then matching the speakers to the fronts, it rivalled my local THX certified cinema, running with M&K speakers. To get anything like a sound as good as the 3805, you have to switch the eq OFF on the 702...what's the point of it being there... :confused:

HOWEVER, and a big point, after careful setting up, and I mean careful, (by that, I mean bypassing the auto setup completly and installing it manually!!!), it does sound AS GOOD as the Denon 3805, and retails for £200 less.

If only Onkyo would sort out the auto set up bug, this would be a stonking buy. The bug isn't a defect inb my amp either...we have installed 602's as well that have the same problem...it seems to be a glitch in the software...

14. KS Rai

KS Rai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the welcome Family Guy. Shall relay your thoughts re the auto set-up routine back to Onkyo for comment and, if justified, improvement.

BTW, good to hear that you've already found the TX-SR702 to be sonically the equal of the Denon. In my experience, I've found that Onkyo receivers can take some time to give of their best, much longer than most competing products which hit their peak much quicker.

There's better yet to come :D

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have e mailed them on the subject. The company I work for are official Onkyo dealers, so hopefully they will sit up and take notice.
    You're right about the Denon's - I've found that they can take 2 or 3 weeks to warm up...but boy, when they do... :eek:

The Onkyo took a little longer and a hell of a lot of tweaking, whereas Denon's are setup and leave them. Hopefully the boffins at Onkyo will sort out the auto set up bug and Denon will have some real competotion on their hands...

16. BYRoN

BYRoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Onkyo 702 (900-950 euros in Italy with 3 years warranty) and I like it very much, I preferred it to the Denon 3805 with my sound speakers (Focal-JMlab Chorus). My first choice was the Onkyo 801 that sound better in stereo than the 702 but it was too expensive for my budget, the next year I will buy a stereo amp and I'll connect it to the pre-out of Onkyo :)

17. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guys,

Glad to have found this thread. I've always tried to promote Onkyo in this forum, but as Tons of Fun said, Onkyo has never invested in the UK market properly, hence it has had a difficult time here. Its not only in North America and Asia, where Onkyo is a first class brand, but also Germany and Sweden to name a few in Europe that it is well known.

Anyway, to add info on 702, it has been chosen as the new referenz in its class by areadvd. Adding to Onkyo's already hugely successful 801 which has won just about everything in Germany (802 will kick some serious **s) including Areadvd's master test - areadvdmastertest.

Sapkan, sorry I didn't reply on your thread, it was a month where I didn't really looked at the amplifier section. If you search on my thread, I've always pushed for Onkyo ;p

And the price from the German www.hirschille.de is £535+delivery, which I hope will interest you and other Brits here ;p

And if you think buying from Germany is a good idea, then you can even up your alternative from Yam 1500 to even better Yam 2500, superb test here - audioholics - for roughly the same price!!! From www.tsnversand.de or www.hificomponents.de (although the Germans have had problems with the overwhelming demand).

You can find all lowest prices in UK and Germany as well as test results from my thread here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80217, which I try to update as much as possible depending on time.

Cheers, Wasabi

18. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry I posted this in another thread by mistake.

The SR-602 is available from http://www.hirschille.de/ for around £386 and looks very good value. But is it any good?

Pat

19. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    PJM,

Search on 602 or 702 in the last 2 days and I have added some comments on them in other threads.

Wasabi

20. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasabi - you said on another thread that the Onkyos (702 and 602) don't have audio delay (for lip-sync). Is this right? It's a big disappointment if so. I know there are add-ons that can help, but I've no idea how effective they are, and this seems like a strange omission...

21. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wasabi,

The 702 does look interesting :)

However the specs for the US version don't have a tick in the spec table for Adjustable Digital Delay :(

This would be a problem for me as well, I can't believe they have left this out as it would be so easy to implement.

Pat

22. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sulis, Pjm,

I didn't realise it first either, I just assumed that Onkyo of cos had audio delay, but no, have found out that they don't have that feature, strange as the 989MKII (and that's old!) has it.

What a true shame, I guess this was it then regarding Onkyo amps, if you have problems with lip-sync.

Wasabi

23. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The story on lip sync is that the dual 32-bit microprocessors and high speed DACs (192KHz/24bit) are quick enought to process the whole thing without introducing delays.

That's what I remember from researching, but I'll go to the 702 manual later today (I'm in AU so it'll be your night) and double check.

CfP

24. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    CfP,

I don't follow you.

We need audio delay's to match the delays in the video chain introduced by plasmas and video processors (re-scaling etc).

Pat

25. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJM, not 100% clear on where the info came from. Got to retrace my steps on this one. It may be something that works if the vid and audio is all switched via the amp. Agree on the delay being required if there's a vid/aud processing differential. Can just remember something specifically around this. Will investigate and get back on this one.

CfP

26. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    CfP,

Sounds interesting now ;p

I'm also asking a new member of the forum about TBC (Time Base Connectors) and what it really does.

Wasabi

27. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,
    Read the manual cover 2 cover last night and I've come to several conculsions:

1. The manual is a repeatative piece of crap
    2. The manual doesn't go into a real deal of depth about anything :(
    3. The 702(E) seems to be limited in the amount of fine tuning of delays, etc with 3 basic levels (low, medium, high). But at least each channels volume can be adjusted by +/- single dB levels (upper/lower amounts vary)
    4. There is NO mention of audio signal delays for syncing with LCD/Plasma displays
    5. Digital and Optical inputs are NOT downmixed to RCA/Analogue outputs for recording purposes !!!! I haven't yet tested this, but this absolutely amazes me, this is what you'd want to do on a regular basis, that's the idea of digitial in, it give best signal (arguably) for that component for recording.

BUT,

The amp is impressing me a LOT with theater work. It's really nice and seems to do the job VERY well.

I'll add some more good comments later. :thumbsup:

CfP

28. KS Rai

KS Rai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If music reproduction is a priority I strongly suggest you consider the Onkyo TX-SR702E and TX-SR602E before you make your decision.

For some relevant and specific guidance please read the review of the Onkyo TX-SR602E (auditioned together with the DV-SP502E) in the new issue of Home Cinema Choice. The pairing has been awarded a Best Buy with the reviewer (Alvin Gold) singling out the musical prowess of the pairing.

Having listened to that combo before it was sent to him I can attest that the review is very fair and exceedingly accurate. The only thing Alvin perhaps didn't stress as much as he could was the fact that this receiver is almost unique at the price point for offering a powered Zone 2 output (circa £450 in UK), as well a line-level one. Small point but worth making.

The TX-SR702E improves on the TX-SR602E in every area but it's cut from fundamentally the same cloth. Please audition the product in person if you can, however... there's simply no substitute :)

29. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I purchased an Onkyo AV receiver about 10 years ago. I'd never heard of the brand before, but I saw it discounted in a local hi-fi shop (£450 from original £950), checked it out in What HiFi mag (four stars) then went back and bought it.

The facilities on it were great (for the time, anyway), I really liked being able to record something onto tape from one source, whilst listening to another. :)

The sound quality was poor though, very flat and unmusical. I was somehow pleased when it broke down irreparably after 18 months and I could buy something else.

I hope the newer ones are better. :)

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have paired my 702 (Yes, I still have it!!!) with a 502 and am very impressed. The only problem I have found with the 502 DVD player is that it's running Pioneer firmware...the same as the 575...which, for those of you that don't know, means NO (not limited!!) bass management on DVD-A/SACD - which is a crying shame. The player, however, is NOT a 575 clone...the front panel and remote are completly different...and, with my limited experience using the 575, the Onkyo 502 is a step up in sound & picture quality...

As for the auto setup options on the 702...I have been in touch with Onkyo who have replied and assured me they will look into it...no actual admission that there is a problem though. I compared the Onkyo to Denon's and Yamaha's auto setup and said it might as well not be there at all. Hopefully, this has upset Onkyo enough to do something about it. However, much kudos to Onkyo for replying in the first place, and then getting back to me to assure they will look into it...:thumbsup:

Still wouldn't part with my 702 for anything without the Onkyo badge on it though...unless it was Integra;) but I'd have to win a triple roll over to afford and import it...:(