Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

ONKYO VS Monitor Audio Radius Package

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Eoghan, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Eoghan

Eoghan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im complety new to this whole thing. The situation was I was considering buying bose lifestyle system but on advice of alot of people I been told it is extremely overpriced.Basically I want a quality home entertainment system for under 2500 euro 2000 euro would be even better. I want it for both music and surrond sound for films. I plan to hook a rear projection television,xbox,ps2,video,dvd,mp3 player up to this on advice of two
    stores they have told me to go with Onkyo wih jamo speakers and the other
    advised the Audio Radius Package both claimed these would beat bose hands down. Can anyone give me advice on which of these systems would be a better choice and how they compare to bose i can get a lifestyle 2500. Also any other suggestions for systems in this price range wud be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

2. tomt84

tomt84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned an onkyo mid-sized separates system a few weeks ago connected to some mid-range kef floorstanders. It sounded hollow and empty, just missing something.

Ended up going with Marantz PM7200 amp, matching cd and tuner, and a pair of mission volare v63 speakers. Absolutely massive sound compared to the onkyo setup - totally different league.

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'd have to say that Onkyo and Jamo are not names that spring to mind when I think of Hi-Fi brands. You also won't find them in most hi-fi stores (Richer Sounds and Dixons and the like are not, IMNSHO, hi-fi stores).... Monitor Audio, on the other hand (well, I have the GR20s and the GRC is on order).

But they are both right about (No Highs, No Lows, it must be) Bose.

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dave - thats one strange view. onkyo and jamo are golden names of hi-fi, and have a worldwide heritage and reputation than monitor audio, to be honest, could only dream of. jamo have always produced some of the best loudspeakers money can buy, including excellent high-end designs. where you get the idea they are bargain basement tat i do not know...

anyway! thats beside the point. I saw some Audica speakers today - EXTREMELY stylish and compact, would be worth adding to your shortlist...

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    superpixel,

That's just my perception. An perception is 90%+ of ones personal truth.

Anyway - the best advice anyone can give is go and listen. Not just for 5 minutes in the front of the shop - spend several hours auditioning speakers and amps in a proper demo room (try Audio-T or Sevenoaks, amongst others).

Ultimately, what works for you is what is right for you. Talk to the dealer, tell him what sort of sound you like, what you want to use the system for (music - genres, HT, etc) what your room is like and what your budget is, then let him suggest speakers etc to audition. Make notes.

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, DAVE I don't mean to be rude but I have own a Onkyo 898 THX HT Amp for nearly 3 years now, and I also have a totally separate system for hi-fi, I must say that I really do disagree with you! I was thinking of upgrading my HT by adding by adding 3 pairs of Musical Fidelity XAS-100 Power amps in mono mode and was totally stumped to find it sounded worse than the power section of the Onkyo.

Onkyo are one of the major players in HT industry, and their new flagship amp competes with the some of the best Processor/Pre on the market today.

7. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    See my modified post above! But HT is different from HiFi. Horses for courses.

BASS - you are, of course entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I have not listened to these makes for years - since they first arrived in the UK and since before HT was invented, so my opinion may not be relevant here.

Similarly, in order to attach a value to anyone else's opinion of a hi-fi system, I would want to know much more about them - age, social background, level of musical education and experience, musical taste.

And I am quite prepared to provide that information about myself (not that I would expcet anyone to be interested)

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onky and Jamo have been around since the 60's and produce some very esoteric stuff eclipsing anything Denon, Technics, Harmon Kardon (and many more) could ever do. They may not have the huge presence they once enjoyed in the UK, but they are still very big names.

Richer Sounds have a better handle on selling than most 'hifi' stores.
    Try a 7oaks when they are busy and you will know what I mean.

If you want a single HT/ Hifi system, look out for second hand processors from the likes of Meridian, TAG McLaren Audio and Lexicon. Their products were specifically designed for both worlds and will walk over any current reciever type offerings when combined with separate power amps.

CD replay is more tricky, but once you have a decent processor (try the TAG McLaren AV32R), this will be less of a worry.

9. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, they have been around since the 60s'. And that was the last time I listened to a Jamo speaker. Which probably explains a lot.

Never had a problem at a 7oaks when they are busy - they always know when I am coming and have someone allocated to look after me (isn't the phone a wonderful invention).

Richer sounds, on the other hand, are great if you know what you want, but my local one (Kingston upon Thames) is nothing more than a box shop.

10. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0