Bargain Onkyo VC-GX30 google smart speaker for £50

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by jimster99, Jan 2, 2019.

1. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    So I bought one of these little smart google speakers a couple of days ago but have yet to open it - I see it gets slightly mixed reviews due to (i) heavy bass (with no EQ options) and (ii) it doesn't get the free google calling service. So I'm considering taking it back. But it's clearly a bargain compared to the normal price.

Anyone have one? Any views? Differences between this and the google mini (normally available @ £29)?

Onkyo VC-GX30 (Black)

Thanks!

2. kkolossal

kkolossal
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done exactly the opposite! I bought two Google home minis in the sale for £50. And now im contemplating whether to return this and buy the vc-gx30 instead! My understanding is that the only difference is the gx30 can't make calls.

Regarding the heavy bass, is there no way of reducing this? Ive also seen many good reviews on the sound quality too.

3. michaelmoravian

michaelmoravian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought one online from RS and another a few days later when they were only available in store. While they aren't hifi quality they are very good for the size and better than anything else I have heard at that sort of price (Home Mini or Amazon Echo for example). Unfortunately I think the price has gone back up again now.

4. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    So I decided to keep the GX30. It's reasonably good sound quality but not amazing, and the bass is definitely too heavy - if you have thin walls your neighbours will be unhappy, and it's enough to be slightly annoying.

The voice recognition isn't that accurate either:

"hey google set alarm for 9.30am"
    "OK playing Abba at 93 percent volume"

I agree that it is far louder and better quality than the Google Home Mini (but that only costs £25 normally). And the price is still £49 at Richer Sounds (today, 10 Jan 2019).

There's also the Amazon Alexa version at the same price, more stylish design than the boxy Google version. No idea about sound quality however: Onkyo VC-PX30 (Black)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. michaelmoravian

michaelmoravian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Google Home Mini was reduced to £29 on the Google store and a few other shops for a short time but it is now back to £49. The Onkyo is in store only now. I agree that for some types of music the bass can be too much.

6. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The google mini is regularly available at £30 or less (e.g. you could buy 2 for £20 each last month). It's currently £49 but that is only to catch out the unwary - it will come back down again very soon with a big banner proclaiming "WAS £49 NOW £29". :)

7. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94