• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo Txsr607 or Denon 1910

madfrank

Standard Member
I went into Richer Sounds last night looking to buy the Denon and ended up with the Onkyo. Did I do the right thing?

I also bought the Q Acoustics 1010i package as well but thats by the by...

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I would say no. The Denon is a better amp IMHO.

If you browse the forums, you will see a lot of posts saying that Richer sounds staff talked people into buying an Onkyo over the amp they intended to buy (if it wasn't Onkyo).

I believe that you have a certain period in which you can exchange it and I would.

BTW speaker pairing does make a difference but the QA speakers will be fine with either amp.

madfrank

Standard Member
I get 14 days to decide. It was £50 quid cheaper..

I was swayed by the extra HDMI inputs and increased power per channel and the fact it was in stock....

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Agreed with the RS staff and Onkyo comment! I've been there too mate :D. I now own the denon 1910 and having owned an onkyo as well I can def recommend the denon. Yes it may lack a couple of connections but i wouldnt be swayed by the power rating (these can be severly inflated so its best to take them with a pinch of salt).

In terms of all round performance, the Denon is a better amp imo ans would pair up nicely with the QA's.

Cheers

Saf

Edit: just checked specs mate and they both output 90wpc x 7 at 8ohms.

Last edited:

boxrick

Onkyo:

Positives:
Much easier to setup
Much intuative menu systems
Aggressive Sound lots of top end detail.
More Connections and inputs
Excellent for Films and Games
HDMI passthrough in standby

Negatives:
Can sometimes be a little tiring to listen to after long periods
Ugly looking amplifier
Not fantastic for music.
Can sometimes be a little harsh on top end of not paired with correct speakers.
Runs fairly hot

Denon:

Positives:
Overall "smoother" sound quality
More relaxed in delivery so is a good all rounder
Excellent for music.
Runs cooler.

Negatives:
Pain the the bum to setup
Not as many inputs
Not quite as good for gaming ( crash bangs explosions etc )

Overall they are both good amplifiers neither are "bad" and they are better in different situations.

Is the Denon worth the extra? If you are listening to lots of music and don't mind spending extra time setting it up.

Is the Onkyo that far behind? Not really...

It is also a good match for the Qaccoustic Speakers, i personally own the 1910 and have listened to the TXSR607 on many occasions and prefer the sound of the Denon

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Denon:

Positives:
Overall "smoother" sound quality
More relaxed in delivery so is a good all rounder
Excellent for music

Negatives:
Pain the the bum to setup
Not as many inputs
Not quite as good for gaming ( crash bangs explosions etc )
Runs cooler.

"Runs cooler"

I assume that was meant to be in the positives?

boxrick

madfrank

Standard Member
I did want the Denon 1910 but ended up feeling a bit rail roaded into the Onkyo. I was really only after the Q Acoustics package as its disappearing online very quickly (in black anyway).

Im going to take it back and buy the Denon online. I will mainly be using it for Home Cinema, then music and then playing some PC games on it.

Im also going to upgrade my Q Acoustics package with some 1050is.

Lump all this in with my 46" Samsung thin LED and it should be a good system.

Got to knock the front off my chimney first though and decorate the living room before I can set it all up though.

Anyone got any advice on what speaker wires and interconnects to use?

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
I dont think you can buy the denon online for delivery mate. Nowhere will deliver it as far as i know. It would be for collection only i think.

Cheers

Saf

Last edited:

boxrick

I did want the Denon 1910 but ended up feeling a bit rail roaded into the Onkyo. I was really only after the Q Acoustics package as its disappearing online very quickly (in black anyway).

Could try testing what you have first? Always the best way imho!

Anyone got any advice on what speaker wires and interconnects to use?

Im surprised you didn't get any cables when you purchased the package ?

Some good decent interconnects and cables can be picked up from the internet and around ebay. What gear are you using with the Amplifier?

Last edited:

madfrank

Standard Member
Could try testing what you have first? Always the best way imho!

Im surprised you didn't get any cables when you purchased the package ?

Some good decent interconnects and cables can be picked up from the internet and around ebay. What gear are you using with the Amplifier?

Yeah, I know, Im really short on time and space though. Im doing up my house from a shell and we are all living upstairs. I only wanted to get the speakers for now as it worried me when they disappeared off Super Fi. It was even the last set left in Richer Sounds Cardiff. I was talking about the Denon and then got talked into buying the Onkyo.

Didnt get any extras apart from 2 mugs and some sweets:thumbsdow. The guy was very tight and adamant they couldnt do it.

Im yet to buy the rest of the gear but im looking at Freesat with some sort of PVR. Ive got a couple of Sky plus boxes I could use as well. My PC will get a graphics card with a HDMI slot. Ive got an upscaling DVD player. Will be looking at Blu ray later in the year. Ill be playing Mp3s through my network file server. Just trying to pull all this stuff together inbetween working, doing up the house and having a toddler and baby. Its been quite a task. Last Amp I bought was in 97 and things have changed a lot since then.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom