• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TXSR606.....good choice for PS3?

WildgooseUK

Established Member
Hello all

As what the title says, I wish to upgrade my current Sherwood Newcastle R-925 to a Onkyo TXSR606. Sorry for the silly question that may been asked upteen times before, but will I benefit greatly and notice any sound difference between the two if I brought the Onkyo and use it for my PS3 on Movies, Games and iPhone music?

Also, will I experience TrueHD and DTS HD through PCM as I know PS3 does not do this using bitstream.

One final note, thinking of getting the Onkyo DSA1X docking station too but is it compatible with iPhone 3G?

Many thanks and look forward to any replies

O

Oval

Hello all

As what the title says, I wish to upgrade my current Sherwood Newcastle R-925 to a Onkyo TXSR606. Sorry for the silly question that may been asked upteen times before, but will I benefit greatly and notice any sound difference between the two if I brought the Onkyo and use it for my PS3 on Movies, Games and iPhone music?

Also, will I experience TrueHD and DTS HD through PCM as I know PS3 does not do this using bitstream.

One final note, thinking of getting the Onkyo DSA1X docking station too but is it compatible with iPhone 3G?

Many thanks and look forward to any replies

I have a 606 and PS3 - there is, evidently, a known problem that the PS3 causes a 'buzz' when played through the 606. It's thought to have been remedied on the most recent sets but i only bought mine a month ago and I get the buzzing. The Onkyo Service centre will modify the 606 - but that means sending it back.

So, it's worth checking with the retailer that you get a set that has been updated. Other than that it works well.

blackpants

Established Member
If your only HD source is the PS3. Then the 606 is slightly overkill. I bought a 576 for £180 less and still have a 7.1 system which will play HD Audio (LPCM Multich).

Personally I couldn't justify the extra expense.

As to the dock, I am not too sure, however a normal headphone jack to phono lead would work only with the adapter to get into the hole on the top of the phone.

WildgooseUK

Established Member
Thanks for your advice Blackpants ( you don't mean Skidmarks:rotfl:)

Anyway, I guess you're right about the 606's being a tad overkill just for the PS3 as it already has TrueHD decoder built-in. What's helpful, that I have the same Yamaha speakers as you.

However, comparing 576 to 606, the latter advantage seems only the onboard decoder as the 576 specs appears to be identical and 140 pounds cheaper:eek:

Andrew K

Banned
Thanks for your advice Blackpants ( you don't mean Skidmarks:rotfl:)

Anyway, I guess you're right about the 606's being a tad overkill just for the PS3 as it already has TrueHD decoder built-in. What's helpful, that I have the same Yamaha speakers as you.

However, comparing 576 to 606, the latter advantage seems only the onboard decoder as the 576 specs appears to be identical and 140 pounds cheaper:eek:

You lose video upconversion to HDMI as well. However the SR576 was designed by Onkyo with PS3 users in mind and therefore unless you see a value in the upconversion you could save some money.

That said the SR606 is a cracking amp for the money.

WildgooseUK

Established Member
Thanks QuantumUK for your feedback.
It appears that I'm leaning towards in favour for the 606 as its future proof and has 1.3a HDMI which 576 doesn't because my TV accepts 1.3 anyway.

But again, using my PS3 has my sole blu-ray player for movies ( Games too) Would I be wasting my money on the 606 just for that reason?

I don't know......just like the 606 better but at 140 pounds more :(

Would I be better or worse off in the long run:confused:

O

Oval

I don't know......just like the 606 better but at 140 pounds more

Couple of tanks of petrol :rolleyes:

You'll spend so much time setting it up, playing with all the settings, and trying to get rid of the buzzing that you'll soon save that money by not going anywhere for the next month or two:)

Andrew K

Banned
It appears that I'm leaning towards in favour for the 606 as its future proof and has 1.3a HDMI which 576 doesn't because my TV accepts 1.3 anyway.

But again, using my PS3 has my sole blu-ray player for movies ( Games too) Would I be wasting my money on the 606 just for that reason?

They are all pitched at the right price point for what they do. The SR606 is the better unit no doubt and a great all-rounder but if your budget is constrained then the SR576 is the way to go.

WildgooseUK

Established Member
Total of 120 litres in diesel for me and that only last me just over two w'ks with the travelling I do.

I think in long term I be better off with the 606 and as for the 'buzzing' sound, I been reading reports that its common when connected with the PS3, but can be rectified with a firmware update.

Oval, do you have the 606 with PS3 then. And how serious is the 'buzzing' sound?

O

Oval

Total of 120 litres in diesel for me and that only last me just over two w'ks with the travelling I do.

I think in long term I be better off with the 606 and as for the 'buzzing' sound, I been reading reports that its common when connected with the PS3, but can be rectified with a firmware update.

Oval, do you have the 606 with PS3 then. And how serious is the 'buzzing' sound?

I do

I've reduced it somewhat by following some suggestions on settings from this forum (cutting out some frequencies on the audio settings). If you turn of the equalisation it almost disappears (but I like it on).

It's only a slight problem when there's no sound action, as soon as there is sound from the source, you can't hear the buzzing. It's probably no louder than the sound of the machine's fans/drives.

But, if I'd known about it, I'd have checked with the retailer that the unit was of very, very recent manufacture - with the problem solved. I don't think it's firmware solvable - has to go back for a mod.

It doesn't affect music (if you play that via your PS3) and set the 606 to pure audio or stereo direct.

I'd still recommend the 606 though - it's a stellar piece of kit once you've got it all set up.

matr69

Established Member

100% not a waste::smashin: and if you chose another blu ra player later on then the 606 will keep on doing its job nicely.

Not only that the sound for the games is outstanding too, just get a decent subwoofer.

O

Oval

How does the music sound as what I've read in What Hi Fi magazine that the 606 does not bold well when playing music.

I think it's very good musically - There's always going to be a bit of a compromise when you are using AV - otherwise you probably wouldn't go for satellite style speakers and a sub - you'd go straight for some decent floorstanders.

But I chose my front surrounds carefully (Kef 5005) because they seemed quite musical. I'm about to upgrade my sub as well. But I'm very impressed with the sound I get and I listen to quite a wide range of music. I guess it all depends on what you are comparing it with - but since I'm lazy and tend to use my ipod as the input - a really expensive amp for music, would be a waste.

But I probably use it for AV in the ratio of 10 : 1 compared to music and I don't have room for another dedicated Audio system.

james.miller

Prominent Member
i certainly wouldnt say the 606 is overkill, not at the price its currently at. then again, my preference is higher up the range. i wouldnt consider the 576 at all for its lack of features and sound quality *which is highly supjective* but not at all acceptable for me. go listen to the amps if you can, so you can settle on the one you actually prefer the sound of, and not what people on a forum tell you:)

Sampson

Established Member
This buzzing you speak off, does it come from the amp itself, or sent through to the speakers?
I'm thinking of getting a 606 one day with the main point being utilise the ability to plug HDMI/component sources in and send it all out via a single HDMI in order to move all my AV stuff out of the lounge and into a cupboard under the stairs.
So if its from the unit itself I wont need to be concerned, but if it sends it to the speakers it'd be an issue for me too.

alchemistkevin

Prominent Member
This buzzing you speak off, does it come from the amp itself, or sent through to the speakers?
I'm thinking of getting a 606 one day with the main point being utilise the ability to plug HDMI/component sources in and send it all out via a single HDMI in order to move all my AV stuff out of the lounge and into a cupboard under the stairs.
So if its from the unit itself I wont need to be concerned, but if it sends it to the speakers it'd be an issue for me too.
Its through the speakers. The amp doesn't sound different when you connect a PS3 to it.

funkyspider

Prominent Member
can I just ask if this is solely the PS3 input, or does if affect input from Xbox 360 too ?

Thanks, and appologies for jumping in.

pgnl

Standard Member
I have the same problem, I have a PS3 (bought June this year) connected via 2m good quality HDMI cable to my Onkyo TXSR606 (bought three weeks ago).

The buzzing/Hum is at its worst when Dynamique EQ is switched on. Trouble is Dynamique EQ does dramatically improve the sound in my opinion. I also get it via an optical input connected to a hard disk media player.

I have read about similar issues in the US forums

I am pretty frustrated to be honest. I have emailed Onkyo and am waiting for a response from them. I am starting to wish I hadn't bothered upgrading since my six year old Yamaha 520 DD/DTS receiver never buzzed like the Onkyo does. :mad: :mad:

Patrick
Worcestershire

Miander

Established Member
Have you checked your power supply, if you have all your items in one multiplug you can get hum. Get either a surge protected one or split them between wall sockets

I have the belkin surge protected multiplug with a similar setup to yours and i dont get any hum,

pgnl

Standard Member
I have taken your advice and plugged the Onkyo directly into the wall and everything else is via a powerstrip. I will need to buy a surge protector.

I think its probably a good to do some testing by plugging unplugging components to try and isolate the problem, I also may need to place the receiver away from everything else. What i don't understand, is why the Yamaha, didn't have such issues.

It's really hard to pin down, I try a DVD on the PS3 the buzz is gone I try a bluray disk and its back again. The Dynamic EQ definitely makes it worse. Plus when you insert a disk the hum/buzz switches on and half while it deciding on the mode. It's all very infuriating..

Anyway once again thanks for the advice.

patrick

james.miller

Prominent Member
its not a grounding or powersupply issue if it switching on and off dependant on the input. its a hardware/firmware issue with the amplifer. i am sure onkyo aare aware of this and im sure i read that they were offering to have the amps returned and sorted out for you. ive no idea if you have already but shoot onkyo an email and see what they say.

bjd

Distinguished Member
I have taken your advice and plugged the Onkyo directly into the wall and everything else is via a powerstrip. I will need to buy a surge protector.

I think its probably a good to do some testing by plugging unplugging components to try and isolate the problem, I also may need to place the receiver away from everything else. What i don't understand, is why the Yamaha, didn't have such issues.

It's really hard to pin down, I try a DVD on the PS3 the buzz is gone I try a bluray disk and its back again. The Dynamic EQ definitely makes it worse. Plus when you insert a disk the hum/buzz switches on and half while it deciding on the mode. It's all very infuriating..

Anyway once again thanks for the advice.

patrick

Call Genserve, who do Onkyo warranty work, 01793886333. Mine is currently with them for repair ( I think I heard that they fit a new hdmi board), after which it willbe going into the Classifieds :)

Brian

406lx

Established Member
its not a grounding or powersupply issue if it switching on and off dependant on the input. its a hardware/firmware issue with the amplifer. i am sure onkyo aare aware of this and im sure i read that they were offering to have the amps returned and sorted out for you. ive no idea if you have already but shoot onkyo an email and see what they say.

Do you have a link to this information, I have buzz noises on mine which is one of the first production units.

406lx

Established Member
Contacted Peter Tyson who are speaking to Onkyo about this. They have requested my serial number which has no letetrs at the end and was one of the first ones produced, May 2008.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom