ONKYO TXSR507 or YAMAHA RXV465

GlynD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just purchased a pair of Mordaunt Short Alumni 2 speakers and was pretty certain I was going to get the Onkyo 507 to go with them. Im only running the pair of speakers until I can get a sub at a later date. I have just read alot of comments that say Onkyo recievers and MD speakers can sound very bright when used together. Since the Yamaha is the same price at Richer Sounds does anyone have any advice if the Yamaha would make a better match with the speakers? They both seem to have virtually the same specs from what I can see.

Many Thanks.

I can vouch for the fact that MS speakers work well with Yamaha amps as I run them together. Both Onkyo and MS apeakers have a reputation for being bright so pairing them wouldn't be a great idea.

What equipment do you plan to connect to the amp, and what connections do they have for audio and video?

I currently have Freesat and an Oppo 980H DVD player both connect using HDMI and a Wii using component. Our living room is only quite small its about 3.5m x 3.5m. So for the time being we only have room for the MD Alumni's and a sub. When we eventually move in a few years then i will move up to 5.1

Do you know if the Yamaha is in standby mode will audio and video be able to pass through from my Freesat so I can get sound from my TV speakers?

I currently have Freesat and an Oppo 980H DVD player both connect using HDMI and a Wii using component. Our living room is only quite small its about 3.5m x 3.5m. So for the time being we only have room for the MD Alumni's and a sub. When we eventually move in a few years then i will move up to 5.1

Do you know if the Yamaha is in standby mode will audio and video be able to pass through from my Freesat so I can get sound from my TV speakers?

You will be OK with the items you want to connect to the Yamaha.

I think the new Yamahas do have HDMI passthrough, but not fully sure if it does and if there are any limitations. Unfortunately the Yamaha manual isn't available from the UK website to download and check. Several forum members have bought the 465, so maybe one will post about this.

I just managed to track down a user manual and yes it does do HDMI passthrough, it looks like its the Yamaha for me! Thanks for your help.

If you want to connect the Wii to the amp for video and audio, there was a firmware update posted on the Yamaha UK site to allow this, (along with allowing SkyHD to have a HDMI video input associated with it's optical audio). It may be a case of recently manufactured units having had this implemented already. If not, reports suggest that doing the update is straight forward. It may be easier to connect the component for the Wii directly to the TV and just use the amp for sound anyway as, you would need to connect a component lead from the amp to the TV as well as the HDMI lead from amp to TV if you fed component video via the amp.

If you want to connect the Wii to the amp for video and audio, there was a firmware update posted on the Yamaha UK site to allow this, (along with allowing SkyHD to have a HDMI video input associated with it's optical audio). It may be a case of recently manufactured units having had this implemented already. If not, reports suggest that doing the update is straight forward. It may be easier to connect the component for the Wii directly to the TV and just use the amp for sound anyway as, you would need to connect a component lead from the amp to the TV as well as the HDMI lead from amp to TV if you fed component video via the amp.

The Wii has no digital output so there would be little if any point assigning its video output to a normally disassociated audio input. Both the audio and the video will correspond to the existing analogue inputs already associated with component inputs on the amp.

The Wii has no digital output so there would be little if any point assigning its video output to a normally disassociated audio input. Both the audio and the video will correspond to the existing analogue inputs already associated with component inputs on the amp.

Before the firmware update, both component inputs were assigned to digital audio inputs --- one to optical, one to coaxial -- and these were fixed. The firmware update allows one component input to be assigned to an analogue audio input. It was complaints form the US from Wii users that prompted this change, I believe.

Just to clarify dante01 are you saying it would be best to connect Wii video and audio to tv then connect TV out on the TV to audio in on amp using an analog cable. I did think about connecting Wii video to TV then audio to amp as dicklodge suggests but it may be easier just using the TV out if it will work that way.

Before the firmware update, both component inputs were assigned to digital audio inputs --- one to optical, one to coaxial -- and these were fixed. The firmware update allows one component input to be assigned to an analogue audio input. It was complaints form the US from Wii users that prompted this change, I believe.

That would have been a major mistake on the part of Yamaha. It is far more common to find component connections that also use analogue audio than it is to find HDMI sources that require additional audio connections. What are they playing at????

Sorry dicklodge i posted before i saw your last comment, i will have to try and find out about this firmware update.

Just to clarify dante01 are you saying it would be best to connect Wii video and audio to tv then connect TV out on the TV to audio in on amp using an analog cable. I did think about connecting Wii video to TV then audio to amp as dicklodge suggests but it may be easier just using the TV out if it will work that way.

Yes it will work iether way, and connecting the TV audio out to the amp may be a better way than my first suggeation of connecting the Wii audio to the amp. By connecting the TV audio to the amp, you get the Wii audio and audio from the TV's internal tuner (if you ever use it) via the amp and can apply Dolby Prologic processing to both of them.

Last edited:
If you do it the way you suggeated --- Wii audio and video to TV, you won't need to do the firmware update as you have no need for the things that it fixes.

Good point, thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom