Question Onkyo TXRN646 'resolution error'

mrback

hi to all
purchased this amp from richer sounds in december 2015 but it's started playing up, I plugged my pc into the amp yesterday & am getting constant 'resolution error' messages.

I have tried the pc in all of the hdcp 2.2 compliant hdmi ports but keep getting the same messages. The pc will boot up & I can get to the desktop screen but when I try to start any games I get the error message followed by a blank black screen.

I have tried with different hdmi cables which are all high speed cables. When I plugged my pc directly into the tv I have no such issues, it's only when I introduce the amp into the mix I start getting the problems.

The games do start as I can hear the sound but when they do start the 'resolution error' message displays on the amp then the screen goes black. I have emailed Richer Sounds but have yet to hear back so thought I would put up. many thanks for any help in advance.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
It might be because when you start up the game, the PC is changing into a resolution / refresh rate that the amp does not support. If you start the game by connecting the PC direct to the TV, go into the settings and change the game resolution / refresh rate to one that you know that amp definitely does support - eg 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz. Then try running it again through the amp.

mrback

Hi, many thanks for your input. the native resolution of my tv is 3840 × [email protected] which is what the pc is set to. the games I am trying to run are at 1920 x [email protected] which I know this amp definately supports but keep getting the black screen & resolution error. I started the game & the tv changes resolution to [email protected] but then the screen just stays black. this used to work flawlessly but just started playing up. I even changed the res of the pc to [email protected] & still the same issue.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Okay. If nothing has changed in your set-up and the fault has just occurred then it sounds like a hardware or firmware failure, rather than a settings error.

I would try factory resetting your AVR first, if still no joy, then you are probably going to be looking at a warranty repair or replacement.

mrback

hi, yeah I have heard from RS & they have advised a factory reset. will give a try & see how I get on. many thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom