ONKYO TXNR808 Or TXNR708

joeloaded

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking at both of these recievers and to me they look the same. Can anyone input if there is any diffence apart from £200 !!! Both are THX certified,both have ethernet so internet radio can be accessed. Looking to change from my onkyo SR605 which has been brill. Which would be better to get ?
Thanks

On a quick comparison, the 808 has 10wpc more, an extra optical input (3 instead of 2), 2 HDMI out instead of 1, and weighs an extra 6kg, so there must be some extra ballast in there somewhere!!

I would suspect there is a bigger power supply and hopefully better quality components inside. Listen to both and see if the 808 is worth the extra over the 708. Also what speakers do you currently have? Speakers often prefer more power hence the greater power of the 808 may run your speakers better depending on what speakers you have.

It could very well be the transformer. I'll see if I can find out on Monday. A few amplifiers in manufacturers ranges have a difference of only 10wpc, but in practice, end up feeling far more powerful.

Cheers for replies,
I look forward to hearing your opinion on Monday. I have the B&W 685 speaker package. 686 at rear and 685 at front. With centre being the HTM61 and Sub asw608.

Not much difference then. may just get the 708. I think that will do the job fine

It's a two way remote too - so the remote and amp talk to each other, so the amplifier can pick up remote codes for other products that are plugged in and sends them on to the remote.

It's a two way remote too - so the remote and amp talk to each other, so the amplifier can pick up remote codes for other products that are plugged in and sends them on to the remote.

A nice feature, but a Harmony Universal remote will do much more and less than £200 (unless there are any other 'benefit' features of the higher model.

so which did you buy ?

708 has no reviews on what hifi. 808 is award 2010 winner.

I cant decide between both....

anyone compared 708 vs 808 side by side...??

Thanks

so which did you buy ?

708 has no reviews on what hifi. 808 is award 2010 winner.

I cant decide between both....

anyone compared 708 vs 808 side by side...??

Thanks

I'd make the decision on what speakers I wanted to run with the amp; now, or in the future. If you're looking at front L&R speakers in the £750-£1000 price level, I'd go for the higher level amp. If you're looking at front L&Rs up to £500, then the 708 should be up to the job, though a higher level amp never hurt!

thats an interesting point dick...thanks...

price difference on both is quite some if not really substantial...

so would you say that the 708 would be good for MA BX2 in fronts for a 5.1 setup

and 808 would be good for MA RX1 in fronts for a 5.1 setup...

or a 708 would be as good as 808 for MA RX1 in fronts for a 5.1 setup... ?

Thanks.

thats an interesting point dick...thanks...

price difference on both is quite some if not really substantial...

so would you say that the 708 would be good for MA BX2 in fronts for a 5.1 setup

and 808 would be good for MA RX1 in fronts for a 5.1 setup...

or a 708 would be as good as 808 for MA RX1 in fronts for a 5.1 setup... ?

Thanks.

I think that the 708 would drive both the BX1s and RX1s. The RX1s may benefit from the 808 though? It's when you get to the RX6 level that you should really go for at least the 808.

BTW, the RX series, because of their smoother nature should pair well with the Onkyo amp. If you go with the BX series, maybe Yamaha or Denon may be a better pairing? Are you going to be able to demo the amp speaker combos?

the dealor in my country has rx1 & bx2 5.1 combo + Denon setup but no onkyo. ( i'm keen on the onkyo as it has won 2010 what hifi awards. )

So i kind of have to make a blind purchase... lol....

but i know this much for sure that my fronts will be book shelves. My dealor told me that if i was to use my setup 100 % for movies which is what i will do then he said...

"As long as the bookshelves go comfortably below 80hz ( say to 40 hz ) then in that case i'm better off with a book shelves in front + a excellent sub which goes down to 20 hz and below."

He said...

"Only consider a floorstander as fronts if you want to do stereo listening with the same setup with out using the sub"

By the way room size is 20 x 15 x 9 feet and he said as long as the bookshelf goes down till 40 hz then that's better for me if my intention is 100 % movies.

Is his advice correct...?!? ( i dont know what to make of what he said coz he has to sell me either rx1 or rx6 for the fronts )

I'm sure he'll make more profit if i buy rx6 but i guess he's trying to save me money by telling me to buy rx1. ( i'm willing to buy either )...... but is his advice correct ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have large floorstanders in a room that is 16.5X11.5 feet wide. They are the forrunners to the RX8, the RS8 and they work very well; Iwouldn't swap them for bookshelf speakers. They do have plenty of room around them, which is good for any speaker.

I have a separate HIFI system, so the RS8s are used mainly for film and TV. I do play a fair amound of DVD music concerts on them, but that wasn't the consideration for buying the speaker --- it was film pefrformance.

So, I think, provoding you have the room for them, the RX6s would be good speakers. It is recommended that you get a higher level amp to drive them. In Yamaha/Denon terms, that would be the Yamaha 2067/Denon 3311. The Yamaha 1067/Denon 2311 would drive the RS6s, but wouldn't get as much out of them as you would with the above level amps.

Going by a rough price comparison, here in the UK, the Onkyo 708 would be equivalent to the Yamaha 1067 and the 808, equivalent to the Yamaha 2067.

So, going for the 808 should give you the flexibility to go for the RX6 speakers if you wanted to.

Well went for the 808 and must say a very good choice.
Very happy with it.

A word of advice: All the Onkyo receivers with Faroudja processors/scalers have issues with 1080p 24Hz playback. The affected receivers are the 608, 708, 808 and 1008. They all have this issue and Onkyo does not seem to see this as a defect. People from Germany even had Onkyo send test materials to Japan, with clear instructions on how to see the flaws, they did not bother much and a fix would probably never be available.

The 24Hz issue is related to the Faroudja processor and it is show as frame stutter/drops. In case you have this issue, do not hesitate to bring the receiver back and ask for a refund.

If it is not too late, it may be better to return it and get a Yamaha receiver. I wanted to buy an Onkyo, too, but I am very sensitive to any frame dropping issues, so it was a no go for me. Sorry that I did not warn you before. If you do not see the issue, fine, but if it is there, I would bring it back to the shop.

After years of Denon experience, I finally bought the Yamaha RX-2067 and it is a great performer, the video scaler/processor is one of the best, no frame dropp or skipping issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom