Onkyo txnr609 + wharfedale diamond 10.1?

sgzmd

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy an AV receiver and a pair of stereo speakers. Purpose is 50/50 music and movies. Unfortunately, using normal stereo amp is not an option – I have two devices with HDMI output (Virgin box and HTPC) which I want to play audio from and connect to TV. So I'm thinking of buying

Onkyo TXNR609 – Onkyo TXNR609 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds – all reviews say it's really good with stereo music (for receiver)

A pair of WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 - Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.1 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

In future I will upgrade to proper 5.1 by buying centre, sub and rear speakers but right now it is not feasible :) What do you think about this setup? Any other options which I've missed?

mentm

Onkyo and wharfendales should be a good match. No problem buying a av receiver rather than a stereo receiver as long as you do plan to buy some more speakers at a later date. I don't know that anyone has said its good with music but its definitely better than the 608 was...

sgzmd

Standard Member
Onkyo and wharfendales should be a good match. No problem buying a av receiver rather than a stereo receiver as long as you do plan to buy some more speakers at a later date. I don't know that anyone has said its good with music but its definitely better than the 608 was...

Thanks! w.r.t stereo quality – Onkyo TX-NR609 Surround Sound System review - Trusted Reviews and Onkyo TX-NR609  review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Receivers agree on that, however What Hifi still doesn't have any review yet.

Do you think I can add subwoofer and centre speakers comfortably to this pair of speakers? Or will I need to buy proper 5.1 set where speakers were designed for each other?

Member 513627

Mentm is right, the Wharfedales will be absolutely fine with that.

And yes, you can add rear and centre speakers at a later date, be it Wharfedales or another brand (Though it is always best to try and keep your speakers within the same range it's not the end of the world if you can't).

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom