ONKYO TXNR609 5.1...inc. floorstanders...to £750

aphemia

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I've spent a fair amount of time browsing around the forum, and I've learnt a lot. Thanks to you all for your ongoing contribution!

I'm in the process of upgrading my rather tired 5.1 home-cinema set-up. My much loved Sony DAV-SC8 has died (or at least, the DVD/Amp has) and I am planning my replacements.

I have already replaced the DVD player with the (cheap but decent) Panasonic BDT310, and I have my eye on the Onkyo TXRN609 as a receiver, to which will be connected the BDT310, Sky+HD and Xbox360. Gaming/Movies are equally important.

So far, so good I hope.

The Sony DAV-SC8 speakers (and sub) are still fully functioning but I'm also thinking about replacing these, either all at once or in stages. I think that the Sub is probably just fine for now, but I am thinking about replacing the front surrounds with some floorstanders in the £400-500 price range, with a £200 ish matching centre. Then, longer term, I might look to replace the rear surrounds and ultimately the sub.

Is this mix and match approach valid?
Would I necessarily need to upgrade the rears and the sub? (I use 'need' loosely...)

I'm quite taken with the Dali Zensor range...but also the KEF iQ50/70 seem to be available at bargain prices right now. All my research to date has been online, so I have not yet sampled any setups.

I would be most welcome of any specific speaker recommendations you might have, and your thoughts on my (possibly hair-brain) plan.

If you need any more information, please ask!

Many thanks in advance

Rich

The 609's a great bit of kit, especially now it's dropped to £450. You might also want to look at the Monitor Audio BX5 speakers which come in around your budger. It's certainly a good way to go about purchasing in stages to spread the cost. You will need to check the specifications on your Sony system though to see if they're standard 6/8ohm speakers though. Is the subwoofer powered? If not then you wouldn't be able to use it with a 609.

The 609's a great bit of kit, especially now it's dropped to £450. You might also want to look at the Monitor Audio BX5 speakers which come in around your budger. It's certainly a good way to go about purchasing in stages to spread the cost. You will need to check the specifications on your Sony system though to see if they're standard 6/8ohm speakers though. Is the subwoofer powered? If not then you wouldn't be able to use it with a 609.

Thank you! :)

You have saved me some problems. My current Sony speakers are only 4 ohms...so I have a problem with the plan.

The sub is powered and active and so can potentially be re-used, but if I'm replacing the '5' of a 5.1 i will probably end up replacing the '1' as well...

The MA Bronze package from richer sounds here is £1,200. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions!!!

Is the MA Bronze considered 'superior' in anyway to equivalents. For example, I could pick up Dali Zensor 1 (rears) Dali Zensor 5 (front floors) and a Dali centre for abour £900 and then use my current sub (and upgrade later) for £900 now....

The browsing continues...any thoughts much appreciated!!!

Thank you! :)

You have saved me some problems. My current Sony speakers are only 4 ohms...so I have a problem with the plan.

The sub is powered and active and so can potentially be re-used, but if I'm replacing the '5' of a 5.1 i will probably end up replacing the '1' as well...

The MA Bronze package from richer sounds here is £1,200. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions!!!

Is the MA Bronze considered 'superior' in anyway to equivalents. For example, I could pick up Dali Zensor 1 (rears) Dali Zensor 5 (front floors) and a Dali centre for abour £900 and then use my current sub (and upgrade later) for £900 now....

The browsing continues...any thoughts much appreciated!!!

Hi, you can set your Onkyo 609 Amp from "4 ohms" so it will handle 4 ohm & higher (or set it from 6 ohm & higher), example I use Jamo D500's (THX) with a 609, my front 3 speakers are 4 ohms & my rears are 8 ohms..........with no problems
If your stuck with these settings give me a call or privite message & I will explain in detail

You should try Jamo S 606 HCS 3 speakers with built in Sub's!! In your price range & we do £660 for all 5 speakers :D

Aside from the Jamo, Dali, and Monitor Audio, consider Wharfedale Diamond speakers. Diamond make a wide range of speakers, so a configuration exists for just about any budget.

However, if the Dali Zensor appeal to you, I don't see how you can go wrong. Best to try and hear them all, and see if one appeals to your ears over the others. But, in general they are all good for the money.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi, you can set your Onkyo 609 Amp from "4 ohms" so it will handle 4 ohm & higher (or set it from 6 ohm & higher), example I use Jamo D500's (THX) with a 609, my front 3 speakers are 4 ohms & my rears are 8 ohms..........with no problems
If your stuck with these settings give me a call or privite message & I will explain in detail

You should try Jamo S 606 HCS 3 speakers with built in Sub's!! In your price range & we do £660 for all 5 speakers :D

Thank you! Very useful information. I haven't made a purchase yet, but I still have the 609 ear-marked for a post-Christmas purchase and am still scouting for speakers.

Is setting the 609 to 4 ohms something covered in the manual, or is it something more technical than that?!

And thanks for bringing the Jamo range to my attention. More options! :)

Thanks once again. I appreciate it.

Aside from the Jamo, Dali, and Monitor Audio, consider Wharfedale Diamond speakers. Diamond make a wide range of speakers, so a configuration exists for just about any budget.

However, if the Dali Zensor appeal to you, I don't see how you can go wrong. Best to try and hear them all, and see if one appeals to your ears over the others. But, in general they are all good for the money.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks buddy

You're (of course) right. The internet is only going to get me so far here. I'm just about ready now for some listening before a new year purchase. I can't wait :)

Is the MA Bronze considered 'superior' in anyway to equivalents.
I was going to mention that the Acoustic Energy Neo V2 range performs very similarly to the Bronze package, and is a little cheaper, but at the moment you can get the Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 package for just a little more, which will be a particuarly strong performer for the money.

Is setting the 609 to 4 ohms something covered in the manual, or is it something more technical than that?!
Setting the impedance to 4ohms will cap the output of the 609 to make it safe to drive 4ohm speakers, which is recommended if you play at high volumes. If not, I'd leave this set to 8ohms for better dynamic abilities at normal volume levels.

I was going to mention that the Acoustic Energy Neo V2 range performs very similarly to the Bronze package, and is a little cheaper, but at the moment you can get the Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 package for just a little more, which will be a particuarly strong performer for the money.

Setting the impedance to 4ohms will cap the output of the 609 to make it safe to drive 4ohm speakers, which is recommended if you play at high volumes. If not, I'd leave this set to 8ohms for better dynamic abilities at normal volume levels.

Thanks for the heads up on the AE. More reading for me :)

And thanks for the ohm advice...I suspect I am in the 'high volume' camp when watching movies and so the 4ohm setting would be safer. I can experiment though...should I decide to phase this 'investment' :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom