Onkyo TX576 & Yamaha NSP440 distortion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Meusa, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Meusa

Meusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

I have recently upgraded my reciever and speakers to the Onkyo TX576 and the Yamaha NSP440 speakers.

Everything works great 90% of the time however in very particular scenes in some films, and games there seems to be a slight distortion, pretty much always when someone is speaking, but only on particular tones. It almost seems like a clipping issue but even at low volumes the issue remains.

Tried it both with and without the Audyssey auto setup and its still there. Tried playing with just about every setting on the reciever without any luck. Altering the treble does seem to have a mild effect on it, but its still there whatever the setting. I cant work out whether its the reciever, or the speakers or the combination of both that dont work well together.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. solarsnake

solarsnake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Very interested to hear about your problem (no pun intended). I was considering buying the exact setup as yourself.

Have you had any more success in tracking down the cause of the problem. The TX-SR576 has had such glowing reviews that I was convinced it would make a fine purchase as I already use a PS3 for Bluray playback so am not worried about it's lack of Dolby HD or DTS MA conversion.

The NS-P440's are a lot harder to find any reviews or information about. In fact it was in searching for any reviews on them that I stumbled across your post.

I am now swaying towards paying a bit extra for a set of
    Jamo A102HCS5's as they seem a good pairing with the TX-SR576.

Just out of interest I have been reading about some people having problems with the PS3 and certain Onkyo receivers when outputting Multichannel LPCM but only on the PS3 menu screen and not during playback.

All ther best!

3. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    :confused: I wasn't aware of any LPCM audio on the PS3 menu screen?? Whadda mean?? :D

4. solarsnake

solarsnake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had read elsewhere of people having a buzzing sound from their speakers on certain Onkyo receivers which was only happening on the PS3 menus not during video playback. I will try and find the link and post it later!

5. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Cheers :smashin:

Probably OT anyway.. :D never noticed it myself, but every system is different :smashin:

Don't forget the classifieds on here, a great way to optimise a small speaker budget! As I know.. ;)

6. solarsnake

solarsnake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. Krisboats

Krisboats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it a constant low level buzzing with a slight buzz around the vocals?

If so i'd suggest you check your speaker cables and make sure none of the bare wires are touching each other or the backplate of the amp/speaker. I did the same a few weeks ago by forgetting to tape up the exposed bits of wire after i extended one of my rear speakers. As soon as i pulled the wires apart the problem was gone.

Could be the same thing?

8. Meusa

Meusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The problem is there on all sources, and on both digital an analogue inputs. I would say its more of a crackling distortion effect around certain vocals. It is not a constant buzzing.

I did some further testing with it today. I have tried replacing the centre speaker with one of the side speakers, and the problem remains so that rules out the centre speaker as being faulty. I have also tried rewiring and using the cable from one of the other speakers on the centre channel, but still the issue remains. One thing I have noticed though is that if I set the reciever to output mono sound to all speakers and unplug the centre the issue seems to be fixed. It also doesnt occur if I only output 2.0 sound.

Im not sure what else to try other than trying to get hold of another speaker to test or to test my speakers on another receiver.

9. g1ng3r

g1ng3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've heard this happen with my Onkyo 875 and B&W HTM62 Centre, it's exactly how you describe it!

I don't know what it is, it sounds like a clipping issue, but only happens in a certain persons voice :confused:

10. lancehizon

lancehizon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting the exact same problem with my Denon 2808. Some dialogues in movies are distorted especially during loud scenes. Irregardless of volume, I get this. Now I am thinking it might be a bad movie recording which makes it sound like a problem with my system.

Anyone fixed this?

11. Meusa

Meusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just an update on this.

Tried a Wharfedale Vardus VRC1 centre speaker which has a much better sensitivity than the Yamaha centre I was using and the problem remains. Unfortunately I think its an issue with the Onkyo receiver in my case.

12. lancehizon

lancehizon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can try it with another receiver, that will confirm whether or not it is the Onkyo. When I get the chance, I will try listening to the same material through a headset and also try my speakers using another receiver.

I will let you know what happens.

13. Meusa

Meusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am totally baffled with this problem now.

I tried using a different receiver (Sony 2400ES) and I am still hearing distortion in dialogue through the centre channel! This is with an entirely different receiver and centre speaker.

There is a particular scene in Transformers (Blueray) which highlights the issue perfectly. It as at the 01:59:10 mark where Mikaela says to sam "No matter what happens, I'm really clad I got in that car with you". The words "No matter what" and "glad I got" show very noticable distortion.

I am using a PS3 to output Dolby TrueHD over PCM. Although the problem is still there when sending a regular DD bitstream. I am also using a 5.1 configuration.

The only way I have been able to reduce, but not eliminate this is to use the EQ and drop the treble on the centre channel to -10db.

Could anyone who has Transformers please test this scene and let me know if you experience anything similar?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009