• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TX-SR875 -- connecting to V+ box -- no picture

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
Please Help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am trying to connect my samsung cable V+ box to my onkyo,

i have set cable/sat to IN1 (for HDMI in 1)
I have added an optical from the V+ to the amp and set Digital input to OPT1

when it is set like this the signal keeps coming and going continuasly,
so if i press Digital input and select OPT1 i get sound but still no image,

i have connected the cable to my tv direct and all works as it should so i think i might just be missing something,

its like if i have hdmi selected then it is trying to put the sound over that aswell rather than by optical, i need to have HDMI for the picture and optical for the sound,

please please please help

BigIR

I don't have virgin but sky is the same setup.

HDMI input set to IN1 and digital input set to OPT1 should work, double check you have actually plugged the cables into HDMI in 1 and OPT1.

You do have HDMI monitor out set to yes?

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
I don't have virgin but sky is the same setup.

HDMI input set to IN1 and digital input set to OPT1 should work, double check you have actually plugged the cables into HDMI in 1 and OPT1.

You do have HDMI monitor out set to yes?

that is how i have it,

on my display just the HDMI keeps flicking on and of, then ill get sound for a sec then it will go of, no picture at any point,

it seems like no matter what i do i cant set hdmi for the video and optical for the sound,

once i have set it all and come out of it thats when it flashes, if i then press the digital input on the front of the amp and change it to optical i get perfect sound but no video or hdmi symbol,

and yes hdmi monitor is set to out,
i have my pc connected in the same way, hdmi for pic and optical for sound and that works fine,

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
i have just found out that only HDCP compatible components will display a picture,

how would i find out if the V+ box is HDCP compliant??? i guess i got to go on a mission lol

any input would be appreciated

BigIR

If you have your pc set up through the onkyo in the same way then I'd think the problem is with the virgin box.

Can you try with a different HDMI lead?

Could also try using a different HDMI in socket on the amp?

hoppaz

i have just found out that only HDCP compatible components will display a picture,

how would i find out if the V+ box is HDCP compliant??? i guess i got to go on a mission lol

any input would be appreciated

I had loads of issues with my Onkyo 875 and it turned out to be the HDMI leads. Check the lead(s) work on another HDMI component with the amp. If they don't then you'll need to replace them. The V+ will be HDCP compliant as it has HDMI. I think only earlier versions of DVI on projectors etc from a few years back weren't always HDCP compliant but don't quote me on that.

Ensure the lead(s) are 1.3b compliant. Argos do a cheap range that definitely work.

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
i have tried other leads with no joy, if i connect to tv directly then its fine,
tried on all hdmi ports on the amp, tried my pc connection on the others and that is fine,

just called virgin (waste of time as the public know more than them) the guy has confirmed that the V+ box is Not HDCP compliant and that none of there boxes are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

now i am depressed as thats just not right,

surly there has got to be a way??????

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
got it working but not sure if its right,

it was the options in the box causing the issue, i think lol

i have hd lead from box to amp then from amp to tv,
if i set the cable box to "HiDEF HDMI" i cant get an image,
it has to be set to "widescreen composite"

is this ok???
can i still get hd and dolbyDigital like this???

from HDMI or optical its only showing my 2 speakers

BigIR

That doesn't sound right to me. Without knowing the options available in v+ box its pretty hard. Do virgin boxes require the optical cable at all? Is there any option to send the audio over HDMI?
Could you list the settings options that are on box?

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
tv display format -- 4:3 -- widescreen -- HiDEF HDMI

If i change it to HiDEF HDMI i get an extra option,

HDMI audio override -- on -- off

if i set the hdmi audio override to "on" i can get dolbyDigital through the HDMI lead but the "tv display format" defaults back to "widescreen - composite"

i have checked the hd channels and i am getting DD and video through the hdmi and the picture does look a lot clearer on the cable hd channels,

i really dont get it lol, it sending me mad

are there any other options on the amp that might be causing it??

BigIR

I would try

Connect via HDMI direct to your TV
Select the HIDEF HDMI setting
Turn off and unplug the v+ box leave the TV and amp on
Connect the HDMI from your amp to your TV then the v+ to the amp
Plug in and turn on the v+ box

Hopefully you then get picture, try and select and HDMI audio override ON, it shouldn't reset the HIDEF HDMI setting though.

JohnWB

I had the same problem with my 805. I found that it was due to a handshake problem. I had tried various HDMI leads but no joy. I was using HDMI for picture & sound.

To get them to work together I had them connected as usual, with the TV picture flickering on and off, then I turned of the Virgin box, disconnected its mains lead, waited a few seconds then reconnected it & then let the Virgin box reboot & all worked fine after that.

Hope this works for you

Last edited:

BigIR

but the "tv display format" defaults back to "widescreen - composite"

Actually this would suggest you are missing confimation step. I found the below, do that then set HDMI audio override ON, I think that should give you HD picture and 5.1 audio over HDMI.

Getting HD output via HDMI:

The SCART lead needs to be connected to the upper SCART output of the V+ box and then to your TV. The HDMI cable needs to be connected to the V+ box and then to an approriate input on your TV.

Start off by using the relevant AV SCART channel on the TV to view the output of the V+ box.

Press the 'Home' button on the V+ remote and choose 'Settings' from the menu that appears.

Select the 'Change Display & Audio Settings' option.

The 'TV display format' option should be set to 'HiDef HDMI'

Now select the V+ HD Box HiDef output setting. Choose between 720, 720 wide, 1080 or 1080 wide. Ensure that the option you choose is compatible with your TVs display abilities or you will not get a picture!

Once you have finished with the settings, press OK and a popup screen will appear – DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING ELSE ON THE V+ REMOTE JUST YET!

Switch the TV's AV input channel from the SCART input to the HDMI input you are using for the V+ box. Once this is done, press OK on the V+ remote. You should now see another pop-up screen appear on the screen stating “Press Text to confirm your High Definition settings are correct”. If you don’t see the picture via the HDMI input, it could be because:

• The cables are in the wrong sockets, aren’t plugged in securely, or are faulty.
• The TV doesn’t support the selected mode or resolution, needs its settings changing in order to make it support it, or the set may be faulty?
• The settings you used are incorrect
• A combination of any or all of the above

If you can see the pop-up message then it is ok to now press the 'Text' button on your V+ remote to save the new settings. If you don't press the 'Text' button, the popup will remain on the screen for 30 seconds before the V+ box returns to the previous settings. If you can’t see any output from the V+ box via the HDMI input on the TV, change your TV back to the relevant AV channel for SCART input. The V+ box will revert back to the old settings automatically.

Additional Notes:
You cannot have both output via HDMI and the upper SCART socket at the same time. You either have output via one or the other! The lower SCART output remains active with whichever of the other outputs are in use, but you do not get the VM menus or EPG via the lower SCART output.

To get SCART back as the output:
On the box (not the remote), press and hold down the 'STOP' and 'PAUSE/PLAY' buttons while then pressing the reset button until the display says 'BOOT'.
You will eventually see 'OUTPUT' appear on the display.
Use the 'FAST FORWARD' button to cycle through the output options. The 'SD' option is for SCART output.
After you've selected 'SD', press the 'OK' button.

The box will reboot and you should have output via SCART.

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
thank you for all your advice, i have tried it out and managed to get the settings to stay in the V+ box

it is now set to HiDEF HDMI

now this is where it gets strange,

if i select to have sound and picture through HDMI it keeps flicking on and off every few seconds,

if i change the sound to optical i get sound but no image,

if i change my tv to the scart (from post above) i get the picture and can get sound through hdmi, if i change the tv back to hdmi (amp connection) it starts flicking again,

i have connected straight to the tv and i can get sound and video

this is really sending me mad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JohnWB

thank you for all your advice, i have tried it out and managed to get the settings to stay in the V+ box

it is now set to HiDEF HDMI

now this is where it gets strange,

if i select to have sound and picture through HDMI it keeps flicking on and off every few seconds,

if i change the sound to optical i get sound but no image,

if i change my tv to the scart (from post above) i get the picture and can get sound through hdmi, if i change the tv back to hdmi (amp connection) it starts flicking again,

i have connected straight to the tv and i can get sound and video

this is really sending me mad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had the same problem with my 805. I found that it was due to a handshake problem. I had tried various HDMI leads but no joy. I was using HDMI for picture & sound.

To get them to work together I had them connected as usual, with the TV picture flickering on and off, then I turned of the Virgin box, disconnected its mains lead, waited a few seconds then reconnected it & then let the Virgin box reboot & all worked fine after that.

Hope this works for you

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member

Hope this works for you

i am still not having no luck :(

what is a "handshake issue"

at the moment i have had to add a scart to the amp and upscale everything to 1080p and using optical for the sound, so had to add a hd lead from V+ to tv for watching there hd stuff,

so not happy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(on a good point my new sub turned up yesterday :) )

my brother has an older V+ box with the components on the back, would it be worth me getting my box changed to try it with the components fittings instrad? or would that just leave me in the same position,

when it all setup you can see it trying to make the connection, even get sound for a few moments some times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i just hope its some silly setting i have missed

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
not gave up yet lol,

i have just set it back up and as expected its still flickering,

If i change the sound to optical instead of hdmi i get perfect sound

if i turn hdmi monitor out to "off" then i get perfect sound from hdmi
if i leave hdmi monitor out "on" but change my tv from the hdmi to another input i get perfect sound from the hdmi

when i first turn the V+ box on i get the text displayed saying the digital tv service will start shortly, then when the box is ready it goes into standby, once i turn it on my problems start,
so the image can get through

Last edited:

hoppaz

not gave up yet lol,

i have just set it back up and as expected its still flickering,

If i change the sound to optical instead of hdmi i get perfect sound

if i turn hdmi monitor out to "off" then i get perfect sound from hdmi
if i leave hdmi monitor out "on" but change my tv from the hdmi to another input i get perfect sound from the hdmi

when i first turn the V+ box on i get the text displayed saying the digital tv service will start shortly, then when the box is ready it goes into standby, once i turn it on my problems start,
so the image can get through

What tv do you have?

Try this...

In the setup menu of the amp in the hdmi section what do you have it set at (1080p / Auto or Pass through < might be called through > etc)?

Try changing it to through and see what happens?

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
What tv do you have?

Try this...

In the setup menu of the amp in the hdmi section what do you have it set at (1080p / Auto or Pass through < might be called through > etc)?

Try changing it to through and see what happens?

my TV is the LG scarlet (42lg6100)

i have already tried the settings on the amp for through and 1080 right down to SD but still no luck,

also changed it on the V+ box

its sending me mad, need a solution :lease:

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
if i connect direct to my tv then all is fine, i get sound and image so not sure it the techie comments at the bottom would be my issue if you get what i mean

BigIR

Maybe the signal is fine for the tv but too "weak" for the amp. Maybe you should try posting in the virgin board here and/or on cable forum, from what I read on cable forum they have a few virgin techs that post on there.

SharingDOODLES

Standard Member
Maybe the signal is fine for the tv but too "weak" for the amp. Maybe you should try posting in the virgin board here and/or on cable forum, from what I read on cable forum they have a few virgin techs that post on there.

thank you for your input, as its worth a try posting in there :)

hoppaz

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom