For Sale Onkyo TX-SR875 7.1 THX receiver in silver

Discussion in 'Disputed/Problem Trades' started by Sun, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Really good AV receiver overkill for my needs but primary reason for moving on is I need something slimmer, it is It is having to sit on top of my AV shelf and not beneath it as it only has 1cm clearance in the rack. The heat Onkyo's give off is ridiculous and having just finished the room I'm not changing it to fit around the amp similarly I am just not willing to run it with only 1cm air gap and now my AV room symmetry is all messed up.

It's in mint condition, mic, instructions and remote but no box, sadly it didn't come with one when I bought from a fellow forumite 4 months ago

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...w-s3-5-1-onkyo-875-rel-quake-sub-package.html

bit of info here too
    Onkyo | TX-SR875

review here
    Onkyo TX-SR875 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Receivers

I did a 220 mile round trip for £210 collected which I think was a bargain so I'll price it the same.

Cheers
    Sun

I have read the trading rules and agree to abide by them at all times until the transaction is concluded to the satisfaction of all parties involved : Yes.
    --------------------------------------------------
    This message is automatically inserted in all classifieds forum threads.
    By replying to this thread you agree to abide by the trading rules detailed here.
    Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via PM to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:
    1) Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct too!
    2) Name and address including postcode
    3) Valid e-mail address (no disposable addresses such as @gmail or @yahoo for example).

DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.
    Also we advise that the vendor post images of the items for sale. This helps your sale by showing the condition of the goods prior to dispatch.

2. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Sun if you can find a way of securely packaging the amp i can offer £225 delivered

Cheers
    Brian

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    But you turned my offer down before! :)

I have tried unsuccessfully in the last week to find a box rigid enough to hold it comfortably with a lot of extra bubble wrap, if I can find something then I'd be willing to post but at the moment collection is much preferred.

However you might be in luck Sam, I'm going to be 246 miles closer to you next week, I'll be in Saltburn-by-the-sea with family, only 50 miles from Newcastle so if you can make your way to there you can have it for £210 and I've saved you a courier and the worry.

4. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Did i? Cant remember. A had a Parasound 1205a delivered that was wrapped in layer upon layer of bubble wrap and nothing else. It survived. While you are in Saltburn do you not fancy a trip into Newcastle? I'll stick another tenner on
    Cheers Brian

5. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Brian, yeah it was on your last thread that got archived, no worries anyway. I'm not reckless enough to let it go in nothing more than a bin bag with some socks for padding, the resulting damage claims would be a massive ball ache.

I'm not going to travel up to Newcastle, it's 6 hours to Saltburn and I'll be happy to stop there, if I find a box I'll let you know but otherwise come and have a trip to the seaside.

Anyone fancy a day out in Suffolk? Hottest place in the country last Sunday!

6. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Yeh you can imagine my shock when it arrived at the door! I dont drive and it would be a nightmare tryin to get someone to drive to Saltburn. If you can source a box let me know
    As for the hottest place in the country, you can keep it! I cant stand the heat, its unbearable
    Roll on winter is what i say!!!

7. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sun, i may have a lift to Saltburn. It depends on exactly when and where. If you can let me know the details we can take it from there

Cheers
    Brian

8. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Brian, great, will discuss on pm then. There is even a small chance i may get a suitable box tomorrow as well so we may be good either way.

9. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Sun If you can source a suitable box that would be better.

10. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Re your offer. I found this: "Thanks for the offer Sun. I prefer black also the distance would be a problem".

The colour is no longer an issue

11. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Sam, it was not a problem just amused me :) Silver is the future anyway, black is rubbish although it's a pain every time I want to buy new AV, much harder to find.

Anyhoo, you're in luck, I have a box, albeit much larger than the Onkyo, 110x25x56 to be exact but it will allow for plenty of padding. Parcel monkey is suggesting £15ish for a 27kg parcel of that size so if you're happy at £225 delivered then we'll call it a deal.

12. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Sun yeah lets do that. i assume thats with some insurance? And well done sourcing that box!

Cheers
    Brian

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  13. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Have you had any probs with the audio bomb thing? Do you know if it has had the firmware updated?

Have you had any probs at all, specifically the hdmi boards?

Cheers
    Brian

14. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Brian,

Sorry just seen these after I PM'd you, what's an audio bomb?

No firmware updates under my watch, don't know what the firmware is either but if it's important I can check.

Certainly no known problems with HDMI either, should I be checking for something in particular?

It's working just the same as the day I got it but if there are some specifics you want to know fire away.

Yes that will be with insurance btw.

15. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Sun its mentioned on the owners thread that i was reading last night. If you havent had any problems then its unlikely i will.
    Iam gonna attempt to pay you by bank transfer, may take a while as i havent used this method before.

Cheers
    Brian

16. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Payment sent by bank transfer. That was a nightmare. Should be a stroll in the park next time phew.

17. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    morning, money received already, thank you, will be packaged up tonight for collection tomorrow.

18. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm afraid my flash is knackered so pics aren't great but you can see it's in perfect condition, there are a few others all in that album in my profile.

[​IMG]

It's been VERY securely packaged, bubble wrap, cardboard tubes, cardboard sheet, polystyrene blocks, you name it it's in there, now taped up as 27kg of pure heft. Courier booked, insured sufficiently, came to about just over £18, collection tomorrow, delivery on Monday, waiting for tracking number now, normally takes a few hours with Parcel Monkey so will sent through when I have it today/tomorrow.

Cheers
    Mat

19. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Mat. That all looks and sounds good. I knew i could trust you with the packaging. :smashin:

Cheers
    Brian

20. Apsilon

Apsilon
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,847
    Thread moved to disputes as it seems there has been damage to the unit in transit.

Can both parties please update accordingly so we can move forward towards a resolution.

Regards

21. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Brian,

I contacted the Mods as obviously we've both found ourselves in a disappointing situation and I wanted to make sure we handle this correctly, obviously we've had good communication so far via phone and PM and I'd like that to continue so we can find a suitable solution here. It feels awkward writing all this out and none of it is meant to sound accusational at all, if I get anything wrong please tell me and I'll correct it.

The fact that the amp is otherwise working well is the sticking point here as I know you're reluctant to give it up after all the time we spent sorting it out, I personally am not happy that it is damaged and feel on principal it should go through the insurance, why should either us be out of pocket or unsatisfied?

I've put a general list of our exchanges, from my perspective, below with the key bits of info, other than the sending of the pics via email, everything has been handled via PM apart from the phone calls the previous week and on Saturday when it was delivered.

Thursday 23/08/12 -
    Onkyo 875 tested as working, photos and film taken of it in use before being packaged up. Parcel was packaged exceedingly well and cushioned on all sides in the centre of an oversized box.

Friday 24/08/12 -
    Failed collection by City Link
    Parcel sits for a week in my empty house whilst I am away during which Brian and I agree to do a Saturday delivery, we share the extra cost.

Friday 31/08/12 -
    Parcel picked up and signed for by City link

Saturday 01/09/12 -
    09:08 Parcel delivered
    10:30 Brian calls me and is concerned about the front flap of the receiver, it is not opening smoothly but it is opening. I ask him to give the amp a good going over and check for problems and let me know so we can make a claim if neccessary.

Message via PM from Brian, identifies slight damage to the casing on the extreme left hand side, which is causing the probs with the flap jamming it. There is also a small mark on the fascia next to that same fault. Otherwise amp working well and could live with it but is understandably concerned about resale value. In response I asked for pictures of the damage so we can pursue a claim.

Sunday 02/09/12 -
    Photo received but only the picture I took originally marked to show where the damage is. In response I asked for actual pictures of the damage so we can pursue a claim.

Monday 03/09/12
    Pictures of the damage received. Uploaded to my album, showing dent to underside of receiver and front flap pushed backwards slightly into the housing. Appears to have been damaged in transit. In response I asked for better pictures and some of the box and said it's up to him as to whether we make a claim but we did pay insurance for this very reason.

Brian says amp was moving around in the box and was only closed with 1 bit of tape but box has been disposed of. Would like £50 compensation towards flap of amp.

Tuesday 04/09/12
    Contacted City Link to make a claim, they advised I must go via Parcel Monkey. Opened claim with Parcel Monkey for which I need details of damage to item and packaging, it must be made by the 11th.

Brian has retrieved the box and was concerned about it's packaging when it arrived, could see the amp through the flap and was only held with a couple of bits of tape. I have explained I'm not happy to compensate £50 as we paid insurance but I will take the amp back and pursue the claim on my own if necessary, Brian is not confident it would make it back to me safely.

I have asked for pictures of the box and a detailed explanation of what the contents was. I know exactly how I packed it and from Brian's description so far it doesn't match how it left my house so I strongly suspect it has been tampered with and damaged whilst in the care of City Link.

I know Brian is offline until this evening now and I'm sure he'll pick this up then.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  22. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've uploaded the pics to my album

http://www.avforums.com/forums/members/28703-albums1972.html

The PM claim form states the following;

I'm not sure what we will put for point 5 though, maybe a copy of my bank statement highlighting the transfer? Or a copy of this page?

23. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Mat
    Just a couple of points.

Saturday 01/09/12.
    I have to force the flap up and down. I dont think i made that clear to you.

Monday 03/09/12.
    Unfortunately i only have my mobile for photos. £50 was just a suggestion. I didnt give it any real thought. I now consider anywhere between £20-£50 to be reasonable. I informed Mat that i am willing to wait for the outcome of a partial claim.

Tuesday 04/09/12.
    I was at an upstairs window when it was delivered and remember being able to see that one end of the box was not that well sealed. As the driver put the box on his shoulder i remember thinking that if he doesnt keep it level the amp is going to slide out the box! I will get some pictures of the box as soon as i can.

24. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Mat
    Iam having some problems with uploading pics of the box and its contents. Will email them to you.

Cheers
    Brian

Attached Files:

25. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Brian, sorry for the misunderstanding then, certainly not trying to point fingers and I certainly didn't realise you were having to force it open.

That pic is interesting, if that is the same box (questioning City Link not you), then it not in the same condition I sent it in, look at that big hole in it!! What is the large white bit on top? Also which bits on there was the tape holding it together, the 2 bits towards the back?

Ok, got your other pics, it is the same box but is there no damage to the sides of the box though? Somewhere around where the problem on the amp is?

In opening the box you should have been met with 3 x large diameter hard cardboard tubes 2 vertical to keep the amp from shifting along in the box, 1 horizontal between them to stop them rolling around. Next was the receiver at least 4 layers of bubble wrap going up and over and left and right around the receiver, within that the receiver was in a clear plastic bag to prevent any moisture.

Sat on top, bottom, front and back were some hard sheets of cardboard to absorb any knocks before the bubble wrap. Sat in front of those were 6 polystyrene blocks.

Then finally was another row of 3 cardboard tubes in the same setup as before to stop it rolling the other way too. Sat on top of those was the instructions, remote, plug etc, all wrapped in bubble wrap and providing further cushioning. It was DIY certainly but there was no movement at all and I felt very satisfied with how secure I had managed to make it.

I can see all the packing appears to have arrived but is that how you encountered it as you opened it up?

Thanks
    Mat

26. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Mat
    Just noticed some damage on the box. Will send pics via email.
    All that packaging sounds familiar although i cant remember in what order they were! What i do remember is that the amp was moving back and forth along the length of the box so, having thought about it the packaging must have come loose somehow.

The white tape was the only thing holding it together.

Cheers
    Brian

27. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I think i should add that there is a hole in the side of the box created by myself. My friends son took the box to the rubbish area and i had to cut a hole in it for him so he could carry it. ;) It is in no way related to any damage to the amp or the box.

28. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Brian,

I got your other 2 pics, thank you, I'll put them up here later, certainly the location of the damage matches the location on the receiver. Still can't understand how the front flap would have been damaged but I imagine anything is possible if you just chuck a parcel, labelled with fragile tape, all over a van.

I will need some better pics of the damage to the receiver for the claim but once I have those I think that should be enough.

To be clear though, your choice is not to return the receiver to me as it is otherwise working and aside from the damage it has received you're happy with it and would like to keep it?

The reason I ask is that I don't know what they will do, whether they will want to send it off for a repair, replace the full value or provide some partial compensation.

Thanks
    Mat

29. sam spade

sam spade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Mat

Yeah its a mystery. I suppose the casing is not where the weight is on the amp.

I will try and take some better pics and email them to you sometime today.

I couldnt go through the hassle and worry again. The amp is working, it is difficult to spot the damage unless the flap needs to be opened or closed.

As mentioned i would be happy with partial comensation. I am willing to wait for any outcome so you are not out of pocket.

All the best
    Brian

30. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thank you Brian, got your latest pics as well.

I will get the claim logged with Parcel Monkey now and find out what the say.

I appreciate your patience, I'd personally have been gutted and sent it back straight away so I'm glad you have found some positive in terms of being happy with the amp otherwise.