Question ONKYO TX-SR805, replacement / upgrade suggestions

alagermound

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had the 805 for about 6 years now, been very happy with it, truth be told it is probably a bit more amp than I actually need in the space I use it, however it is nice to have the head room for those times when I like to push it.

just recently the front display packed up, which I am planning to fix with the ressistor replacement guide posted elsewhere, but while investigating this I became painfully aware this amp is now obsolete and should something else fail (which seems likely on this model) I will not be able to repair.

There are also a few limitations on the 805 which do bug me, the incessant clicking from the relays when you change source, the lack of 3D support requiring a Blu Ray player with dual HDMI out, and having only 3 hdmi inputs and obviously it wont decode some of the newer codecs (atmos / auro3d etc), though it is unlikely I will be going further than 7.1 any time soon, but would be good to have them if upgrading.

My main criteria is to match the 805's amp section with a focus on movies rather than music as I use a seperate system for that, I am tempted to wait for the next generation of AVR's looking at what is currently available, but if I am unable to fix mine I will want to replace sooner rather than later, but just unsure where to start, would prefer comparable spec's for sub £1k.

considered the Denon 5200 (pricey) and Marantz 7009 (ugly) but dont know much about either.

Last edited:
just to update, amp now fixed and I can report this is a very straight forward fix I did not even need to disconnect everything due to the amps placement just unplugged the power lead and HDMI and let any residual power dissipate then opened it up.

replacing the ressistors was done very easily and cost £1.49 and that left me with 100 ressistors so if anyone else needs theirs doing I have plenty spare.

I am really happy as aside from the minor niggles mentioned above this is a really good amp and still does everything I need as I am not in a position at this time to do anything with the new sound formats, and not entirely convinved they are going to gain any traction outside of very niche home cinima.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom