Onkyo TX-SR805 & PS3

B

BJS1

Hello all,

Just a query, I have my PS3 connected up to my 805 via HDMI & the PS3 is set to output audio as Linear PCM. When I press the 'DISPLAY' button on the 805's remote the display reads: MCH PCM 5.1, fs: 48kHz. I thought this would be higher?! I currently only have 2 front speakers connected, is this why or am I just talking rubbish?

Cheers :thumbsup:

james.miller

the output format changes depending on what you are doing with the ps3. is this playing games? watching a film? listening to music?

do you you have the autio outputs set up correctly on the ps3?

B

BJS1

It seems to be with games & DVD, haven't tried music yet. I'm guessing I have set everything up OK on the PS3, in the BD/DVD menu audio is set to output as Linear PCM & in Sound Settings I have selected HDMI, then all availabe formats are ticked, have I missed anything?

james.miller

right, ok. as a recall, unless the games soundtrack is lossless pcm (resistance:FOM for example) then it'll be 7.1/48khz. my ps3 is downstairs ill check that in a mo. in music it should change to 7.1/176khz if you have it set up right. it sounds like you have it all set up correctly:)

B

BJS1

The only thing I have changed in the Sound Setting menu is I 'un-ticked' all the boxes relating to 7.1. I gathered I'm never going to use this & I have the front speakers Bi-amped anyway, but I guess this should not affect anything apart from outputting 7.1 surround sound.

B

BJS1

Does anyone know what would output at a higher rate & does a higher kHz output figure mean better quality?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom