Onkyo TX-SR805 out the Video Upconversion query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by topgeeza, Sep 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. topgeeza

topgeeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I've just purchased a Pioneer PDP-428XD 42" plasma (delivery some time next week) and am now looking for a new AV Receiver.
    I like Sony kit and was going to wait for either of the new STR-DA4300ES or STR-DA5300ES units but now I've found out that even the Sony dealers have no dates for them, which would indicate at least a 3 to 4 week wait.

As I'm not the most patient person in the world, I've been looking at the new Onkyo's instead, Particularly the TX-SR805 (and to a lesser degree, due to the expense, the TX-SR895). In general the reviews seem to be very, very favourable, however, I've read quite a few reports that the TX-SR805 downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI. Also a few reports have said that HDMI video quality converted from analogue sources are not particularly great.

So I guess my question is this. Is there anyway of passing on the responsibility of video processing (ie upconversion) to the Pioneer TV? Would this work better and is it worthwhile to do?

Additionally, I have a 5.1 speaker set up, will the THX Ultra2 on the unit be of any benefit to me?

Cheers
    Neil.

2. topgeeza

topgeeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    <Bump> ....Hoping someone can advise re my upscaling/up converting question