Onkyo TX SR609 + Soundware XS5.1 pack. Buy??

Dopey-nut

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

1st - I tried creating a similar thread for advice but can't find it anywhere so not sure if it was actualy created. Apologies if this is duplicated.

After a long time I now have the finances to buy an AV receiver to go with the pioneer krp500 plasma.

I'm looking at this one Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 Speakers And Onkyo TX-SR609 AV Receiver Bundle With Free Cable Pack - Value Home Cinema Bundles Under £750 - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

Here's the cry for help;

Is this a good deal? I ain't heard of the company and can't find any reviews for the company! I mean how good is there aftersales and what about returns if the product doesn't agree for any reason!

Onkyo TX SR609, I quite like the 7.2 capabilites of this and the fact that this has the capabilites of 4k resolution...will this improve the quality on my pioneer or do I need a new tv with 4k resolution? I can't seem to find the Onkyo in any of the shops I've tried (not many sell Onkyo products) is this a bad sign of the Onkyo brand? Is this a full HD (1080p) av receiver as I'm confused with the spec sheet (on the Onkyo website)! :confused: There also appear two different models for this onkyo, TX SR609 and TX NR609, and I can't pinpoint the difference between the two....could it be that one is black and the other white?

Boston Accoustics Soundware XS5.1; these speakers seem pretty good and I'm thinking about buying two extra to make it a 7.1 system. I'm gonna stick them on the ceiling corners...is this okay, i mean I don't want the sounds to be flying over my head, i.e when a bullet is fired on tv I'd like it to go past my ear instead of over my head. Has anybody else got the speakers high on the walls?

Peeps, I'm really really tempted to buy this pack, but i fear any compatibility issues with the TV, Sky HD and Panny Blu Ray player. Somebody tell me this is good.:)

Thanks

There won't be (CONSUMER) televisions with 4k resolution for a while yet. And they won't be cheap either.

I think there is 1 projector that can do 4k but it is prohibitive in price.

Unless you win the lottery of course.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian

I figured it to be the case. I won't hold out for 4k then, but i'd be happy with full hd. The level of 'depth' on the krp is amazing and i hope the Onkyo will add to it. One thing that worries me is that not many main street shops sell Onkyo products! This is usualy because either the products are not in demand (due to company image (lack of reliability etc), or the company is not targeted for Joe Public but 'Higher earners'!!

Ta

Thanks Ian

I figured it to be the case. I won't hold out for 4k then, but i'd be happy with full hd. The level of 'depth' on the krp is amazing and i hope the Onkyo will add to it. One thing that worries me is that not many main street shops sell Onkyo products! This is usualy because either the products are not in demand (due to company image (lack of reliability etc), or the company is not targeted for Joe Public but 'Higher earners'!!

Ta

Most if not all high street chains sell Onkyo products. Onkyo are probably the most mainstream manufacturer manufacturing AV amps at this level. Richer Sounds stores are thought by many to be disguised Onkyo user recruitment centres? Most people popping in there to simply ask about home cinema walk out with an Onkyo and a lollipop, some of them none the wiser as to which is which! You can always tell when there's a sale on at Richer Sounds because there's always a huge increase in the number of people with burnt tongues visiting the local hospital's AE department! :nono:

Looking for Onkyo? Look no further than Richer Sounds ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Dante01

Maybe it's just the shops that i've been visiting (highwayhifi on edgeware road and a couple of others near it). Interesting to note, however, is that i can't find the TX SR609 on the RicherSounds website! Anyway, we digress.
What is you opinion about the product and the deal? Should I go for it?

Ta

Thanks Dante01

Maybe it's just the shops that i've been visiting (highwayhifi on edgeware road and a couple of others near it). Interesting to note, however, is that i can't find the TX SR609 on the RicherSounds website! Anyway, we digress.
What is you opinion about the product and the deal? Should I go for it?

Ta

Richer Sounds are selling the Onkyo TX-SR609 for £500 and the SoundWare XS speaker package for £270 so the deal on offer with Audiovisual is pretty good.

Onkyo TXNR609 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Boston SOUNDWARE XS Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Much appreciated Dante01 and thanks for the links.

Do you know the difference between TX-SR609 and TX-NR609? And have you had any dealings with audiovisualonline.com? How was it?

Thanks

Is there something the 609 has that the 509 does not that you really need? I ask because the 609 really needs better speakers than the Bostons to get the best sound from it. Hence I feel a better overall sound would be achieved by getting something like the 509 and then spending more on the speakers (maybe Kef 2005 or something else). Or you could get on of last years models at a good discount i.e. Yamaha 667, Onkyo 608, Denon 1911 and then some better speakers.
As for positioning, up high is not ideal but as long as you point them down towards the listening position then they should be OK. Where do you intend to put the centre?
My brother in law has the BA speakers with a Onkyo 608 and they sound OK but I would not say they are an amasing match. They felt like small speakers with the sub working hard to make up the difference.

Much appreciated Dante01 and thanks for the links.

Do you know the difference between TX-SR609 and TX-NR609? And have you had any dealings with audiovisualonline.com? How was it?

Thanks

I believe TX-NR is correct because this denotes an Onkyo amp with networking capabilities and the 609 has such capabilities. It is probably a mistake on the part of Audiovisual, in fact they refer to the amp as the Onkyo TX-NR609 is its description further down the page. I've bought cables from Audiovisual in the past and many members here use the retailer. I believe Audiovisual are assured AVF retailers?

Last edited:
I believe Audiovisual are assured AVF retailers?

Not sure what this actualy means! :blush:

@PSM1 I was originaly looking at the TX SR608 but when i phoned a couple of shops for quotes, i was told they'd been discontinued....and i started wondering if that would be wise. I mean support for them might become limited...i think. I wanted something that would be a little future proof. :facepalm: Am I worrying for no reason cos I'd still go for it.

Re the speakers. I'd like something powerful and not too big (def no floor standers) how about these KEF KHT2005.3 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package with FREE HTS2001.2 stands | Richer Sounds or these Play.com - Buy Q Acoustics 2000 Series 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Cinema Speakers Pack / Graphite online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe! I do want something that looks pleasant. I was going for the BA's because of their size and looks for the power they had (100w rms).

Should I be concerned with the impedence of the speakers not being the same as the receiver? The Onkyo has 8ohms and speakers have 6 ohms (usualy 4 - 6). The speakers won't be going on the ceilings then :)

I could probably stretch my budget to approx £900.

Thanks all

The 608 will have just as much support as the 609 so I would have no concerns about going for the 608 een though it is discountinued. You are paying a premium for the 609 at the moment because it was new while the 608 is being sold at a discount so well worth getting.
As for the speakers the QA or Kefs will both be better than the BAs so well worth getting. Personally I would go for the QAs.

Okay, so I finaly picked up the TX-Sr608 & Kef KHT2005.3 speakers. Nice....but now for the set up.

Here's what I'm attaching to the TX-Sr608;

Sky HD via HDMI,
Panny Blu-ray player via HDMI,
Speakers via Cambridge Audio 900 series speaker cables (no idea if this cable is good or not!)
Pioneer KRP500A plasma via HDMI (out).

With these connections via HDMI cables only, am I "good to go"? Will I be able to record to my sky HD and watch/listen through the TX-Sr608. Do I need to attach any other cables (optical digital)? If yes, how?

Thanks
PS, can't believe I can't connect my Kef speakers in the corners of my room!! There's what appears to be a screw on the back of the speakers which is opened by an allen key, I had thought that maybe this was how they could be attached to the very corners of the room using 1 screw, but I dint want to destroy the beauties by using too much force?

To get the best sound from Sky HD you need to connect an optical cable to the reciever. This is because sky does not send Dolby Digital 5.1 via the HDMI but only via the Optical. You then need to assign the optical input to the correct HDMI input within the 608 and also enable the optical output in the Sky setup menu.

With these connections via HDMI cables only, am I "good to go"? Will I be able to record to my sky HD and watch/listen through the TX-Sr608. Do I need to attach any other cables (optical digital)? If yes, how?

The SKY HD box only outputs a stereo audio signal via HDMI so you must also use the optical audio output if you wish to access Dolby Digital and 5.1 encoded material. Most amps allow you to assign a different audio input to a video input and treat both as one, the Onkyo should allow you to do this.

Okay, there are 2 (assignable) 'Digital' Optical in sockets on the back of the Onkyo; Number 1 is labeled "game" and Number 2 is labeled "TV/CD". So I connect an optical digital cable from the back of the SkyHD box into either one of these and then fidget with the settings on the Onkyo and enable 'optical' on my sky settings. Is that it? So I'll get a 5.1 through the Onkyo via the optical, and through the HDMI for all other devices!

You guys rock. :)

Either of you got these speakers by-any-chance, and have you been able to attach it right into the corner of the room (on the wall)? I may just get an extra set of stands for the rear speakers. The speakers can tilt but not swivel, FYI. Weird.

BTW, In the instructions, it says the Onkyo must remain "on" in order to record from sky, otherwise it won't record. Seriously!!

Either of you got these speakers by-any-chance, and have you been able to attach it right into the corner of the room (on the wall)? I may just get an extra set of stands for the rear speakers. The speakers can tilt but not swivel, FYI. Weird.

Sticking speakers into corners isn't good acoustically so maybe not such a good idea you continue along those lines?

I can see no reason why the Onkyo needs to be on for sky to record. I do not have my amp on all the time (when out etc) and my sky box records just fine. Which manual does it say this? What does it actually say?

@Dante01 But I want the rear speakers facing diagnaly (into the centre of the room). If i was to attach them to the wall they would be facing either length-ways or width-ways. This is not good, and I can't place them behind me as there is an opening leading to another room.

@PMS1 In the AV Receiver TX-SR608 Instruction Manual, page 31 titled 'Connecting a Recording Component', it says;

"NOTE
The AV receiver must be turned on for recording. Recording is not possible when it's in Standby mode."

Am I being stupid again...cos that happens some times, and I sure hope this is one of those times?

I think it is refering to if you had a video recorder or tape deck attached to a sound output on the reciever. None of the content sky records goes through the reciever before it is recorded so this does not apply. You can leave the reciever on standby or turn it off entirely and your sky box will record just fine.

None of the content sky records goes through the reciever before it is recorded so this does not apply.

hmmm, I'm gonna connect my skyHD to the receiver via hdmi + an optical cable. The only other cables connected to the sky box is the phone line +dish....wait I get it, all the programmes come from the dish. so even if I had nothing connected but the dish, it would still record. doh.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom