Onkyo TX-SR608 - Sound output too low

speaker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My first post on avforums and would appreciate any help that could be offered.

I've searched the site and see this seems to be a common problem, but have been unable to find a solution. I purchased an Onkyo SR 608 receiver last week and found that I can't seem to get the sound output to the level I would expect. I have tried changing Odyssey settings and manually changed sound levels, but I am not getting the same level of output I obtained using my old Sherwood Receiver.

My speakers are al B&W 685, 686 and centre (no sub woofer however), these are 8 ohms and are not bi-wired, but plan to do this with the fronts. I've checked support forums and still can't seem to calibrate the amp to obtain the level of sound I need and typically have the amp sitting at around 70% to obtain nominal sound output. Pushing to 100% is loud but not intrusive and so there is obviously something I am doing wrong, or possibly there is a fault with the unit.]
Has anyone been able to solve this and if so how?Thansk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
My first post on avforums and would appreciate any help that could be offered.

I've searched the site and see this seems to be a common problem, but have been unable to find a solution. I purchased an Onkyo SR 608 receiver last week and found that I can't seem to get the sound output to the level I would expect. I have tried changing Odyssey settings and manually changed sound levels, but I am not getting the same level of output I obtained using my old Sherwood Receiver.

My speakers are al B&W 685, 686 and centre (no sub woofer however), these are 8 ohms and are not bi-wired, but plan to do this with the fronts. I've checked support forums and still can't seem to calibrate the amp to obtain the level of sound I need and typically have the amp sitting at around 70% to obtain nominal sound output. Pushing to 100% is loud but not intrusive and so there is obviously something I am doing wrong, or possibly there is a fault with the unit.]
Has anyone been able to solve this and if so how?Thansk.

hi mate, welcome to the forums.

on the 507 having Dynamic Volume set to anything other than Off means the output volume at higher levels is muted by the processing! at low listening levels the output volume is usually increased - like the old Loudness button used to do.

There are 4 options: Off, Light, Medium, Heavy ...the heavier the processing, the more restricted the output at everyday levels. The feature is designed to keep different source input levels as closely balanced as possible. If you have such an option, this may be your problem.

go to ..Audio Adjust>Audyssey>Dynamic Volume to check your setting.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom