• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TX-SR608 AV receiver - troubleshooting

avcallum

Novice Member
I recently played an .avi file that ended up having a corrupt soundtrack. During playback, a very loud screech was heard and my Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver turned itset off. I turned it back on just fine, and have been using it since with no problem, or so I thought.

Before this event, when the unit was in standby mode, both the standby light (can't remember the colour it used to be) and the HDMI thru lights were on, and my TV recognized the AV receiver (when in this standby mode) such that I could use the attached components (eg. TIVO) via the receiver and watch them on the TV even though the receiver was in standby mode.

After this event, when the AV receiver is in what I would normally call standby, the standby light is off, the HDMI thru light is still on, but my TV no longer recognizes that the AV receiver is connected, and thus I can't watch the TIVO etc. via the receiver. If I turn on the receiver, everything works fine again.

This is so annoying as I normally didn't use the receiver and my sound system just to watch day-to-day tv, and it was great having all my peripherals like TIVO connected to the receiver and a single HDMI from the receiver to the tv which connected the tv to every other component.

Can anyone tell me (please!) how to get the standby light back on and the standby set-up back to what it used to be? I tried the fix for the protection circuit having been activated as on page 66 of the manual, but this hasn't helped. In addition, the standby light has never flashed red, as is apparently supposed to signal the protection circuit having been activated. The only red signal I see in the standby light is when the remote buttons are pressed to signal I'm using the remote. I can't actually remember if this was the normal response to pressing the buttons on the remote before this drama occurred - is it the normal response to the remote buttons being pressed?

Thanks for any and all help everyone!
Cheers
Callum

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom