Question Onkyo TX-SR607 won't decode certain media

nathanjb78

Novice Member
I have an Onkyo SR607 to which I have my PS4 connected via HDMI. It works fine when using BluRay games and movies, also most movie DVDs, however when using some DVDs I cannot get it to play any sound. More specific examples below: -

1. The trailers and menu on some DVDs won't play sound but when the movie starts it begins playing sound fine.

2. DVDs of TV series (especially older shows) do not play sound at all, the same DVDs have been tried when the PS4 is connected directly to TV (excluding the AV) and they work fine.

I've tried all sound modes, different HDMI ports, factory reset and even tried my old PS3 and the issue persists. I also have the same issue with my Virgin TiVo box when I try and connect it to the AV using any of the optical ports. It's as if it can no longer decode certain sound modes.

I'm thinking the AV receiver has developed a fault but would appreciate any advise, could the type of HDMI cable be an issue?

Thanks in advance

Kev Greenhalgh

What format are the dvds that won't play in, ie production dvd titles or self burn dvdr/w/rom?

Kev Greenhalgh

Have you tried connecting the PS4 via TOSlink (optical) for audio?
It may be just time to replace the Onk, it's 7 years old now. It's shame as it's cracking AVR.

Just a thought, is the firmware up to date?

Last edited:

nathanjb78

Novice Member
I haven't tried optical with the PS4 but I have with the TiVo and that doesn't work.

I've never updated the firmware and wouldn't know how to be honest.

Kev Greenhalgh

I haven't tried optical with the PS4 but I have with the TiVo and that doesn't work.

I've never updated the firmware and wouldn't know how to be honest.
I've just checked on the Onkyo website and there isn't any firmware updates, just the data sheet.

Have you tried different cables?

nathanjb78

Novice Member
I haven't tried different HDMI cables, with the issue occurring with the TiVo over optical I kind of disregarded it. The HDMI cables I use are just the ones that came with the ps4, is there differences with these and the more expensive ones you can buy?

Kev Greenhalgh

I haven't tried different HDMI cables, with the issue occurring with the TiVo over optical I kind of disregarded it. The HDMI cables I use are just the ones that came with the ps4, is there differences with these and the more expensive ones you can buy?
No there's no difference. It's the audio in the menu issue that's got me stumped though..

nathanjb78

Novice Member
I know its really annoying, its as if it can only play media recorded in surround, either Dolby or DTS. When the actual movie starts you see the display change to PCM Multichannel (or something like that) and it starts playing sound.

Maybe it's just ready for silicon heaven..

Kev Greenhalgh

I know its really annoying, its as if it can only play media recorded in surround, either Dolby or DTS. When the actual movie starts you see the display change to PCM Multichannel (or something like that) and it starts playing sound.

Maybe it's just ready for silicon heaven..

I think you're right. She's gettin' on a bit now:(.. And just at that time of year too...

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help. :)

nathanjb78

Novice Member
Thank you anyway, as long as games, blurays and most of the DVD movies continue to work I can live with it.

For the times we watch an old movie or TV series on DVD I can just bypass the AVR.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom