Question Onkyo TX-SR607 upgrade sugestions required...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Argentofan, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Argentofan

Argentofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'm currently using an old Onkyo TX-SR607 paired with a BenQ W1070 projector, which I'm pretty happy with, but I can't help feeling that I'm missing out on the possibilities of 4K and Atmos.

I'm not sure what to upgrade first, the receiver or the projector. I do have a 4K and Atmos enabled Xbox One X and some UHD discs I'd like to try...But it's kinda an either/or situation for now.

What do you guys think?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,363
    If you go for an Atmos receiver you would also have to upgrade the speakers to allow for the extra channels. All modern receivers allow for 4K pass through and so that would just make for the one upgrade for sound. To me personally I think your greatest upgrade would be the sound. Correctly set up it is very immersive and even with standard 5.1 discs the upmixing can breath new life into old titles.

4K does hold much interest for me as I'm more than happy with a calibrated Panny plasma. Only a failure will make me go for 4K so hopefully that is well into the next decade.

3. Argentofan

Argentofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks Gibbsy, yep, I think you're right. New amp, new Atmos speakers to add to my 5.1 existing ones I think.