Onkyo TX-SR606 still a decent buy!?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gpegg, Nov 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gpegg

gpegg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all

Been knocking around on the forum for a while now, and now i could do with a bit of advice.

After a amp and speakers for my Xmas prezzie from the missus :) and after deciding ( ie.. being told by the missus ) that Jamo A102 are the speakers we should be getting i now need a suitable amp

I understand the speakers arnt going to blow the roof off, but with a combination of a smallish living room, a minimalist look and a designer for a gf they are the only real option

So looking aorund ive come across the Onkyo TX-SR606. I know its a 'older' amp but think for the price its going for at the min , £199, it offers a good compromise of price and performance.

Read it places that the Onkyo and Jamos don't go very well together thou

7.1 is not needed, the living room isn't big enough, and having only bought out TV last Xmas , 3d compatibility isn't at the top of my list either

It will be used for bluray. Xbox 360, general TV watching and a bit of music, so..... is that a good buy or has anyone got any better suggestions

Budget is around £450 for both speakers and amp

Many thanks everyone

Gareth

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Jamo and Onkyo pairing can be problematic but it depends on your personal sound preference. Hence it could work OK but then again it may not. If you can not demo the combination then I would steer clear. If you want the Onkyo reciever then you should look at speakers like the Tannoy SFX but really the Onkyo deserves better speakers than either the Jamo or the Tannoys hence I would suggest going for the Q Accoustic 1010i for £250 from Richer Sounds. This would still keep you in budget but give you much better speakers.
    If it has to be the Jamo speakers then I would look for recievers from Yamaha and Denon. For Yamaha I would look at the 4xx, 5xx or 7xx ranges and for Denon it would be the 16xx.

3. gpegg

gpegg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the reply

The Jamos need to stay really, looked at 1010i, and although i would like them, they would just be to big for the room i have available

We are moving some time next year so maybe be able to fit a meatier set of speakers in then, but for now just looking for the best amp , firstly that gives me the best bang for my buck , and secondly matches the Jamos best.

Just mainly after Amp suggestions rather than speakers

Cheers all

Gareth