Question Onkyo TX-SR606 and Turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Grumpy fifer, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Grumpy fifer

Grumpy fifer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thinking about purchasing a Turntable, more than likely the Project Primary E. Was looking to pair it with the Cambridge Audio AM10 (seemed to be a good pairing for the project turntable)

My question is, I have the above AV Receiver not currently doing anything (dreaded HDMI problems) if I use this with a pre-amp (don't think the amp has one built in!?!?) would it be a good idea?

Always loved the sound of the Onkyo when playing music just not sure how good that would be with Vinyl.

Any experience/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I did initially use my old Onkyo AVR with my turntable but it had a built in MM phonostage unlike yours. It was ok, wasnt great, but then I didnt think it was great for music in general.

Undoubtably almost any external phonostage is going to be better than the one built into an AVR and if you like the amp's sound in general for music there isnt much reason why you wouldnt also like it for vinyl.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,400
    Based on the manual the Onkyo does not have a phono (turntable) input therefore you are going to have to use either a turntable with a built in phono stage or a separate stand alone phono stage (e.g. Project Box MM).

The output of the cartridge on a turntable is significantly less than that put out by other sources (cd, tunre, tape desck, streamer etc.) and so need pre-amplifying. This is usually either don with a built in phono stage in an integrated (or pre) amp or is separate in the turntable or a stand alone item.

The Project Primary E deos not have a line out function but the Primary E Phono version does (for an extra £50), the latter will work with the onkyo but the former will not (without a phono stage).

Hope this helps.

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/downloads/1/4/7/0/9/Manual_TX-SR606_En_A.pdf

4. Grumpy fifer

Grumpy fifer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info :)

Sound like it would well be worth getting a decent external phono stage and giving it a try!!