Onkyo TX SR605 with PS5 and Oled C16 SPDIF what i lose with SPDIF?

FinnedSgang

Hello everyone, I have a somewhat peculiar question.
I have recently completed in the basement a nice man cave where I can take refuge when I feel like doing some nerdy stuff.

I currently have a 50" TCL p60 TV that doesn't have optical output, a PS5, a PC as a htpc/gaming pc and a Wharfedale Diamond 5.1 DX 2 speaker system that I'd like to pair with an old Onkyo TX SR605 that has fallen out of use in the main setup.

Nothing transcendental but the first upgrade will take place in a few days, with a 65" OLED C16 by LG.

The point is that the old Onkyo does not have, it seems, an ARC system that allows me to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 of the tv, so I should connect the devices to the hdmi of the TV and then the audio via SPDIF. I know that through this connection system I have no PCM (is that right?) but what else would I miss?

Is there another way to get the most out of this setup ?

Friends advise me to move the main system of the house but I do not think I'm ready for this option yet :D

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I have one of these.
works fine with my LG CX and an old pre-arc hdmi 1.3 av receiver ( just like the 605)

Amazon product

Its not available on amazon.uk , must be a brexit thing, amazon.de have stock and there is an english drop down option at the top of the page.

dante01

Distinguished Member
what does it do ?

It basically allows you to convert the eARC audio output from a TV to conventional HDMI. This means that you'd be able to pass HD formatted audio as well as multichannel PCM through an eARC enabled TV and then to the converter, The converter would convert the eARC signal to conventional HDMI so that the audio can then be output from the converter to an older non eARC enabled AV receiver's conventional HDMI inputs.

by default 2022-03-21 at 14.54.37.png

THis would allow you to connect a games console directly to an eARC enabled TV and still be able to pass multichannel PCM (or HD formatted) audio throughthat TV and out to non eARC enabled HDMI equipped AV receivers.

Last edited:

FinnedSgang

This seems really great, so all the new codecs could be played also on an old receiver ?

I actually connected the tv to the avr via optic cable

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom