• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TX-SR605 Upgrade recommendation

Mutha64

Standard Member
Hi there,

Long time since I posted on here but I am in need of some advice.

I upgraded my Pioneer Kuro to a LG OLED 556EV and in order to get the best from it I need an amp upgrade.

I have been very happy with the sound of the Onkyo and was thinking of the Denon AVRX330W. So I phoned Richer Sounds and the guy said it would be a step down from the Onkyo which surprised me.

So my question is, has anyone done the same and what have they gone with or does anyone have any recommendations.

My setup is B&W DM602 S3 fronts. B&W centre Speaker and Q Acoustics 2010i rears.

Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The RS salesperson is incorrect. The AVRX3300 is placed one tier above where your receiver resides. Your receiver is comparable to the AVRX2300 which is the model below the AVRX3300.

I guess it depends upon whether or not you'll be wanting to expand you setup to exploit Atmos, but I'd maybe also suggest the Denon AVRX4300 as being a more worthwhile upgrade option. This is however a 9 channel receiver and you'd need to add additional speakers to your current setup for Atmos. There's also the Marantz SR6011 which is slighly less expensive and slighly less feature laden when compared to the AVRX4300.

Mutha64

Standard Member
Thanks Dante01

Well I was thinking of the AVRX2300 originally then the 3300. He said the old Onkyo's aren't as good as the newer ones and the 3300 doesn't have the same power as the old 605. Said I should go for a Yamaha Aventage or Pioneer as would be better with my speaker setup.

Im not really bothered about Atmos and only want to keep my 5.1 setup. I'm only upgrading for the ARC and 4K.

I think I really need to go and have a listen to see what I think.

I hate buying new AV kit. Takes me ages to decide what to get.

dante01

Distinguished Member
He's correct about the new Onkyos being less desirable, but an AV receivers quality isn't graded in terms of its wattage.

He is however incorrect about the power ratings. The Onkyo is rated 90 watts in respects to an 8 ohm loads with 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08%. The AVRX3300 is rated 105 watts 20 Hz to 20 kHz with 0.08% THD. The Denon is more powerful than your current receiver.

If going for one of the Yamaha Adventage models then look at theRXA1060. THis will however have a premium price attached to it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom