Onkyo TX-SR602E / 7.1 AV-Receiver with 5.1 Surround System - how to connect?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by joerg.batterman, Jun 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. joerg.batterman

joerg.batterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aloa eh :)

I am new to this forum, but help someone of you can help me with this Q:

I got an Onkyo TX-SR602E Audio/Video-Receiver which is basically 7.1 capable and therefore has 7 connectors for speakers but I only have a 5.1 (Infitiy Sound System). I am a bit confused now what the right connections for the "rear" speakers are.. Center and front left/right's clear, but I have surround left/right and surround back left/right as available connections... the rear speakers themselves are not right or left of the sofa, rather 1m behind - it makes sense hooking them up to the surround back plugs, but what about the 5.1 sources - will the receiver be 'intelligent' enough to translate the (rear)input signal? This all might sound pretty much novice-like, but that's what I am and unfortunately the onkyo manual doesn't fully cover this topic :|

2. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Joerg
    when using 5.1 with a 7.1 amp just connect your rear speakers to the surround left & right speaker terminals. Don't use the surround back connections as these would only be used if you were running 6.1 or 7.1 :)

3. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that :smashin: .
    On page 22 of the manual (click here for download) there is a chart on recommended speakers connection/configuration.

4. joerg.batterman

joerg.batterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great - thanks!! :thumbsup: