Onkyo TX-SR578 vs TX-SR608

Paul Stimpson

Standard Member
Hi there,

Sorry for the xpost I'm still finding my way round here. I think this thread belongs here.

I think all the nice things people have said to me about Onkyo have finally persuaded me to buy one instead of a Denon.

I'm doing a complete system refresh (New Panasonic TX-P42GT20B with free BD player and my first decent AV Receiver and speaker package). I costed out the system I really want and it comes to £2100 which is a bit more than I really want to spend.

I can save £100 off the system price by getting an Onkyo TX-SR578 instead of a TX-SR608. Looking at the specs the 578 seems to stand up pretty well against the 608 (except for a couple of sockets which I don't need, Audyssey DSX, 30W and a THX badge.)

My room is less than ideal (that's being kind to it). I'm not buying THX-certified speakers (I'm looking at the Tannoy SFX5.1 package) so I'm not chasing certification. I'm in a terraced house so I don't think I'm going to be able to wind the system up without being inconsiderate to my neighbours so I don't think I'm going to miss the 30W. Though I've never had Audyssey so I don't know that not having DSX will mean to me.

Has anyone auditioned the 578 against the 608 please? I'd really like to know how they stack up against each other. Will I really notice the difference?

Thanks,
Paul.

richsmif

Established Member
The audyssey setup is the best thing about the amp IMOP. Makes life alot easier and gives you some great settings to work with. Mine is 607.

shumifan50

Established Member
The 578 has Audessy but not Audessy DSX - I am not sure what that means. Setup is as easy as the 607 ( I have both). The 578 needs to be driven a bit harder to get the same volume for obvious reasons, but produces acceptable volume levels without over-driving in a reasonable sized room. It is not a top level receiver, but gives a LOT for the money you pay and the rest can probaly be better spent on decent speakers, which, if they are bad can make an high end receiver sound bad.

One thing I have noticed is that the 578 does not suffer from the endless relay clicking that 607 suffers from.

xik

Standard Member
Hi,

I need some Onkyo advice.

My boyfriend asked for a 508 for xmas and having left it so late there were none in stock at Richer Sounds and I am skeptical about ordering anything to be delivered due to the current weather conditions so I bought the 578.

I have no idea whether this was the right thing to do, the guy in the shop assured me it was better than the 508 and my boyfriend would be happy with it but I would really appreciate some unbiased opinions.

Thanks

wecpc

Standard Member
Hi,

I need some Onkyo advice.

My boyfriend asked for a 508 for xmas and having left it so late there were none in stock at Richer Sounds and I am skeptical about ordering anything to be delivered due to the current weather conditions so I bought the 578.

I have no idea whether this was the right thing to do, the guy in the shop assured me it was better than the 508 and my boyfriend would be happy with it but I would really appreciate some unbiased opinions.

Thanks

The 578 is better in several respects to the 508, the main one being it will upconvert all inputs to HDMI whereas the 508 could not. For example you could plug a Nintendo Wii into either the composite or the component inputs and output through the HDMI to the TV. With the 508 it was component in to component out only.
A friend of mine intially bought a 508 from Richer Sounds but quickly exchanged it prior to opening it for the 578 for the same reason.
Your boyfriend should be over the moon with it.

Colin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom