• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TX-SR578 vs TX-SR608

Paul Stimpson

Standard Member
Hi there,

I think all the nice things people have said to me about Onkyo have finally persuaded me to buy one instead of a Denon.

I'm doing a complete system refresh (New Panasonic TX-P42GT20B with free BD player and my first decent AV Receiver and speaker package). I costed out the system I really want and it comes to £2100 which is a bit more than I really want to spend.

I can save £100 off the system price by getting an Onkyo TX-SR578 instead of a TX-SR608. Looking at the specs the 578 seems to stand up pretty well against the 608 (except for a couple of sockets which I don't need, Audyssey DSX, 30W and a THX badge.)

My room is less than ideal (that's being kind to it). I'm not buying THX-certified speakers so I'm not chasing certification and I'm in a terraced house so I don't think I'm going to be able to wind the system up without being inconsiderate to my neighbours so I don't think I'm going to miss the 30W. Though I've never had Audyssey so I don't know that not having DSX will mean to me.

Has anyone auditioned the 578 against the 608 please? I'd really like to know how they stack up against each other. Will I really notice the difference?

Thanks,
Paul.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 608 is a level above the 578 so in theory should give you better sound quality. The extra power of the 608 is not so much about going louder (although it may well do) but the fact the extra power will mean the amp does not have to work as hard so should mean less distortion and hence again better sound quality. Whether you will notice these things or if it is worth the extra to you only you can tell by going to demo them. Then let your own ears decide. What I would say it would imho be a little silly to lose out on sound quality for the sake of £100 (only 5% of the total budget). What speakers are you looking to get with the reciever?

Paul Stimpson

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks.

I beat my retailer mercilessly. He cut me a discount and I downgraded from the Cambridge Ultra 100 that the last guy told me I absolutely must have to Symphony 200 speaker cable which this guy (who I trust from earlier dealings) says will be fine but I'll end up replacing sooner. I'll see how I get on with it and if I really feel I need something better I'll put the upgrade in next year's budget.

I've got the budget down to something I can live with. The audio side is going to be the TX-SR608, Tannoy SFX5.1 package and the Symphony 200.

I was looking at the Boston Soundware XS speaker package but I'm trying to keep the budget down.

Cheers,
Paul.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Thanks.

I beat my retailer mercilessly. He cut me a discount and I downgraded from the Cambridge Ultra 100 that the last guy told me I absolutely must have to Symphony 200 speaker cable which this guy (who I trust from earlier dealings) says will be fine but I'll end up replacing sooner. I'll see how I get on with it and if I really feel I need something better I'll put the upgrade in next year's budget.

I've got the budget down to something I can live with. The audio side is going to be the TX-SR608, Tannoy SFX5.1 package and the Symphony 200.

How much are you spending on the speaker cable? IMHO, if you're paying more than £2/M for connecting the Tannoy SFX package, you're wasting money that could be spent on better speakers.

Paul Stimpson

Standard Member
Hi,

I've had different sales guys try to sell me everything up to £4.99/m. I trust the guy I've got now. I'm starting out with the Cambridge Symphony 200 at £1.49. The rears have long cable runs averaging at 20m

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul Stimpson

Standard Member
Hi,

Someone suggested I look at the Q Accoustics 1010i Cinema speaker package. These are another £50 more than the Tannoys (plus £50 for the speaker brackets as they're an extra with the Qs)

Do you think these would suit the 608 better than the Tannoys and is it £100 well spent?

Thanks,
Paul.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Do you think these would suit the 608 better than the Tannoys and is it £100 well spent?

The 1010is will be better withoute doubt. The 608 is really too high a level amp to pair with the Tannoys. It's not a bad thing to pair the Tannoys with the 608 as it gives you an amp that will stand an speaker upgrade, but if a user is ever only going to use the Tannoys, then a lower level amp is all that is required which would save some money.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom