Onkyo TX-SR576 or TX-SR506

creative

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Been looking at at the Onkyo 576 and 506. Struggling to find a review and what the different between the two is. Will be connecting to a set of Kef 5005's. Any advice?

The 576 will accept LPCM through HDMI.

Regards
David

Thanks. How would i connect this to a PS3 to get HD sound as the PS3 only has 1 HDMI output (which is currently being used to output the video on the screen)?

Thanks. How would i connect this to a PS3 to get HD sound as the PS3 only has 1 HDMI output (which is currently being used to output the video on the screen)?

You connect the PS3 to one of the HDMI inputs on the amp and connect the HDMI output on the amp to the TV's HDMI input. The amp will process the audio and pass on the picture to the TV.

I had the same dilemma, I chose the 576. got it this week and i'm very happy with it.

Lucasisking - this may seem a strange question but can you disable the Sub Woofer output on the 576 ? I have not yet decided on a speaker package but can use my old panasonic speakers (excluding the sub as its not a 'powered' type) until i get a new set or a single sub woofer which is correct for connecting to the 576. Thanks in advance....

Lucasisking - this may seem a strange question but can you disable the Sub Woofer output on the 576 ? I have not yet decided on a speaker package but can use my old panasonic speakers (excluding the sub as its not a 'powered' type) until i get a new set or a single sub woofer which is correct for connecting to the 576. Thanks in advance....

I think so. In the advanced speaker settings (where you can choose 'large' or 'small' speakers) you can answer yes or no to subwoofer. TBH I'm no expert on speakers so I'm not even sure if you need to exclude your existing sub.

I have a feeling that if you choose 'small' front speakers in the menu, the amp will send bass to your sub so it won't matter that it isn't powered. I could, on the other hand, be talking out of my *%$@!!

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope you enjoy the amp!

I think so. In the advanced speaker settings (where you can choose 'large' or 'small' speakers) you can answer yes or no to subwoofer. TBH I'm no expert on speakers so I'm not even sure if you need to exclude your existing sub.

I have a feeling that if you choose 'small' front speakers in the menu, the amp will send bass to your sub so it won't matter that it isn't powered. I could, on the other hand, be talking out of my *%$@!!

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope you enjoy the amp!
Received the 576 last week and setup over the weekend with a new set of Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers. Must say i am very happy indeed with the result. Next thing is a Blue Ray player !!

I understand from other posts that a PS3 is ok connected to the 576. I have Sky + audio connected thru my 576 - video is via scart direct to the tv.

Got my 576 from Creative-Audio > excellent service, ordered on tuesday and arranged delivery for thursday....no problems.

I am also in the process of deciding which to buy. My choice is between the 576 and the 605. I have a blu ray player (Panny BD 30) and would like to experience the HD audio as well as the HD picture. Does the 576 produce HD audio

Any advice you can give on this would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know which speakers would work best with this set up.

{Panasonic Th50PZ80, Panasonic BD30 Blu ray player}

Thanks

I am also in the process of deciding which to buy. My choice is between the 576 and the 605. I have a blu ray player (Panny BD 30) and would like to experience the HD audio as well as the HD picture. Does the 576 produce HD audio

Any advice you can give on this would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know which speakers would work best with this set up.

{Panasonic Th50PZ80, Panasonic BD30 Blu ray player}

Thanks
The 605 can decode HD Audio formats but the 576 can't. However if your Panny can decode at source and output as LPCM over HDMI then the 576 will process this and you will have the benefit of HD Audio - I am pretty sure thats correct based on other forum updates i have read. As for speakers I have my 576 setup with Tannoy SFX5.1 - as far as im concerned its a great combination and came within my budget for a new AV / Speaker setup.

Thanks for the response Gidz. I am not sure if the Panny decodes at source. It mentions audio via bitstream? As I am new to all this I think I will have to read through the manual again!

As for the recommendation for the speaker package, I was looking at one yesterday and I think this will fit nicely with what I have.

Thanks Again

:hiya: Second ever post, go easy!

The Onkyo 576 paired with the SFX5.1 does look like a good combo but has anybody experienced the 576 with the Jamo 102's? I have only just decided that the 576 is the amp I am gonna get, now I can't decide between Tannoy's and Jamo 102's!:confused:

:hiya: Second ever post, go easy!

The Onkyo 576 paired with the SFX5.1 does look like a good combo but has anybody experienced the 576 with the Jamo 102's? I have only just decided that the 576 is the amp I am gonna get, now I can't decide between Tannoy's and Jamo 102's!:confused:

Tommo,

Good price for 576 here £219 with free delivery. I got mine from there, ordered at 1pm Weds, delivered 10am Thurs.

Hey,
Somebody knows if the TX-SR506 supports 60fps in the HDMI connection?

Thanks

Morning all, I've seen this amp for £180 +pp and Im thinking about getting it, although I have heard rumblings of the amp having an over-heating problem, can anybody clarify this please.

Thank you.

I'm considering buying one tx-sr576. I have to go with this and not with tx-sr606 because of the space I have in a cabinet. With 606 I only have 2,5cm clearence above and with 576 I will have 5cm.
However, I already have a PS3 for Blu-ray and DVD viewing. In the future I could buy a blu-ray SA which decodes everything, if I decided to replace my PS3.

Currently I only have two HD sources to connect to the receiver (PS3 and a HD Satellite receiver) and my LCD TV has also 3 HDMI inputs. I have no plans to have more than 3 HDMI sources, so the 3 HDMI inputs of the 576 are sufficient (and I will have 2 more spare inputs on the TV - the third is going to be used to connect the 576).

My question is for tx-sr576 owners, is about the sound quality for music and movies (and others features), mainly compared with the tx-sr606. With tx-sr576 I could save 130€.

Another thing I noted is that for the tx-sr576 is annonced having HDMI 1.2a inputs. On the onkyo european site and in the manual nothing is said about it. On the US site there is a reference as having HDMI 1.3a inputs.
On the manual is refered that tx-sr576 decodes Dolby Digital Plus, suports xvColor and has automatic lyp sync suport, which is not included in the HDMI 1.2a specs but these are included in the HDMI 1.3a specs. My question is, in reality the HDMI inputs are 1.2a or 1.3a?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm considering buying one tx-sr576. I have to go with this and not with tx-sr606 because of the space I have in a cabinet. With 606 I only have 2,5cm clearence above and with 576 I will have 5cm.
However, I already have a PS3 for Blu-ray and DVD viewing. In the future I could buy a blu-ray SA which decodes everything, if I decided to replace my PS3.

Currently I only have two HD sources to connect to the receiver (PS3 and a HD Satellite receiver) and my LCD TV has also 3 HDMI inputs. I have no plans to have more than 3 HDMI sources, so the 3 HDMI inputs of the 576 are sufficient (and I will have 2 more spare inputs on the TV - the third is going to be used to connect the 576).

My question is for tx-sr576 owners, is about the sound quality for music and movies (and others features), mainly compared with the tx-sr606. With tx-sr576 I could save 130€.

Another thing I noted is that for the tx-sr576 is annonced having HDMI 1.2a inputs. On the onkyo european site and in the manual nothing is said about it. On the US site there is a reference as having HDMI 1.3a inputs.
On the manual is refered that tx-sr576 decodes Dolby Digital Plus, suports xvColor and has automatic lyp sync suport, which is not included in the HDMI 1.2a specs but these are included in the HDMI 1.3a specs. My question is, in reality the HDMI inputs are 1.2a or 1.3a?

Thanks

The 576 is a cracker of an amp :thumbsup:

If you have PS3 (or Bluray player with onboard decoding) then it will accept HD Audio via LPCM, and it decodes DD+ natively. Sound quality is fantastic with music & movies, although my experience of other amps is limited.

I have no hesitation in recommending it.

What hifi have reviewed it here

Onkyo TX-SR576 review - whathifi.com

The only reason it lost a star was because of similar priced amps with on-board decoding (i.e. the Sony).

As far as I'm aware the HDMI profile is 1.2a- I'm not sure what the disadvantage of this is over 1.3a, but it certainly isn't an issue for me.

Buy one- your PS3 will thank you for it (even if your neighbours don't ;))

The 576 is a cracker of an amp :thumbsup:

If you have PS3 (or Bluray player with onboard decoding) then it will accept HD Audio via LPCM, and it decodes DD+ natively. Sound quality is fantastic with music & movies, although my experience of other amps is limited.

I have no hesitation in recommending it.

What hifi have reviewed it here

Onkyo TX-SR576 review - whathifi.com

The only reason it lost a star was because of similar priced amps with on-board decoding (i.e. the Sony).

As far as I'm aware the HDMI profile is 1.2a- I'm not sure what the disadvantage of this is over 1.3a, but it certainly isn't an issue for me.

Buy one- your PS3 will thank you for it (even if your neighbours don't ;))

I'm from Portugal and I can get the TX-SR576 by 260€ plus shipping from online store redcoon (the TX-SR606 is 390€ at the same store). The sony str-dg720 and str-dg820 I only find in phisical stores and the price is about 350€ and 450€... (in german online store I found the sonys with prices of 260€ and 363€ ...)

thus the onkyo is cheaper for me buying online...

One question for TX-SR576 owners is about the heat generate by them. There are a lot of comments on the WEB about heat issues of Onkyo receivers and I plan to place the Amp/receiver into a cabinet open in the front and with a height of 20cm which leaves to a clearence of 5cm in the top.

Last edited:
One question for TX-SR576 owners is about the heat generate by them. There are a lot of comments on the WEB about heat issues of Onkyo receivers and I plan to place the Amp/receiver into a cabinet open in the front and with a height of 20cm which leaves to a clearence of 5cm in the top.

Mine is in an enclosed cabinet with 5cm clearance at the top (if not less).

Heat is not an issue at all.

Mine is in an enclosed cabinet with 5cm clearance at the top (if not less).

Heat is not an issue at all.
I would recommend giving it more space. The Onkyo's do run hot, and doing so in an enclosed cabinet may not cause problems now, but may later on. A hot summer can also make things worse.

If there isn't sufficient room above the amp (as recommended by the manufacturer), we'd suggest using an open stand.

I would recommend giving it more space. The Onkyo's do run hot, and doing so in an enclosed cabinet may not cause problems now, but may later on. A hot summer can also make things worse.

If there isn't sufficient room above the amp (as recommended by the manufacturer), we'd suggest using an open stand.

I plan to put onkyo into cabinet with 20cm heigth but completly open in the front... I have no other place ...

If this is not ok to put the onkyo into a cabinet completly open in the front I have to find another receiver/amplifier.

I plan to put onkyo into cabinet with 20cm heigth but completly open in the front... I have no other place ...

If this is not ok to put the onkyo into a cabinet completly open in the front I have to find another receiver/amplifier.

The Onkyo is 15cm high, which gives you 5cm clearance. If the cabinet is open at the front, I don't see any problem at all. My cabinet has a similar clearance and is open at the back and the front. It does get warm, but after hours of use I have never observed it to be 'running hot'.

I'll check my manual later on just to check, but I wouldn't worry about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom