Onkyo TX-SR508 - Zone 2 help?

dante01

Distinguished Member
A second or additional zone allows you to attach an additional pair of stereo speakers to the amp for use in another location. You can mirror what is being played in the main zone on them or choose to play a different source on them. You are limited to analogue source inputs via the second zone, so optical, HDMI and other digital inputs cannot be output in other zones.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You upgrade to 7.1 by adding two more speakers at the back. These would be placed in between your existing 2 surround speakers and are wired to the back speaker terminals.Note that you cannot have 7.1 and a second zone enabled simultaneously because the same amplification onboard the amp is used for both the back speakers or the second zone speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Would you know if I can use the iPhone app with my onkyo?

Cheers!

I doubt it seeing as the TXNR508 lacks any form of network connectivity.

Only amps with network capabilities can utilise iPod and Smart phone apps. A smart phone accesses capable amps via a wirelees router and your LAN.

Langstone

I think to OP has the TX-NR509 as he said it was the 2010 Model in whch case it is network enabled and I think there is an Iphone app for it .:)

I don't have an Iphone so I can't be sure.

Regards

Mark

YellowSphere

Novice Member
509 is 2011 model, 508 is from 2010 and without network or 7.1 capabilities, I thought?

Dom101

Standard Member
Okay! The 2010 508 definately has 7.1 capabilities! Thanks for your help. Any way I could get a LAN wireless adaptor?

Langstone

dante01

Distinguished Member
Okay! The 2010 508 definately has 7.1 capabilities! Thanks for your help. Any way I could get a LAN wireless adaptor?

The TX-SR508 has no network capabilities. The TX-SR509 has network abilities. If you've the TX-SR508 then you cannot control it via an iPhone or Android app. You cannot use a wireless adaptor because it hasn't even got an ethernet port or any inbuilt networking capabilities.

If you've the TX-SR508 then networking isn't possible.

nutball

Standard Member
Hi, sorry to threadjack I'd just to ask a question for clarification:

A second or additional zone allows you to attach an additional pair of stereo speakers to the amp for use in another location. You can mirror what is being played in the main zone on them or choose to play a different source on them. You are limited to analogue source inputs via the second zone, so optical, HDMI and other digital inputs cannot be output in other zones.

Does this mean that it's possible to listen to digital sources on zone 2 so long as it's being output simultaneously to zone 1?

For marital reasons I'm trying to replace an oldish 5.1 setup which is configured as a 5.1 in a living room plus two extra speakers in the conservatory. Switching is via the old A/B/A+B-style mechanism. The speakers in the conservatory are only used for music playback, mostly when the same music is playing in the living room ("party mode").

Our music is stored on an HTPC (running Boxee at the moment), connected optically to the AV receiver.

I need to buy a new receiver, and I'd like to retain this basic A/B/A+B-for-music functionality for WAF reasons. With the current crop of mid-range receivers (eg. Onkyo 609, Yamaha 671, etc.) can I mirror the music output from my HTPC to zone 2 when it's playing in zone 1 by selecting the same source for both, or do I have to set up a parallel analogue path from the HTPC to the receiver just to ensure we can have the music simultaneously in both rooms?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom