Onkyo TX-SR506 AV receiver - Not picking up Dolby signal from Samsung DVD

dawsjam

Standard Member
Dear all,

I am new to AV Forums and would like to pick your brains if possible.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR506 AV receiver to which I have connected a Samsung SKY-HD box, PS3 and Samsung DVD player. All three are connected using HDMI lead for video switching purposes only (Audio is carried by Optical for the DVD and PS3 and Coaxial for the SKY HD box as the receiver won't pick this up from HDMI).

Whenever I play PS3 or watch an HD channel, I get "Dolby D" on my AV display however whenever I play a DVD through my DVD player I don't (but do get sound). The same DVD however played from PS3 does get this screen message (and obviously improved sound).

My question is why do I not get Dolby D sound on my AV receiver when using the DVD player? From what I can see the DVD is set to output Dolby sound by Optical. Could my DVD player not have the ability to send Dolby sound through an opticial link?

I don't have the model number of the DVD player to hand but will add later today if required.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Regards
James

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I think were really gonna need the DVD model number, its sounds like a setting problem on that, not the amp.

Just to confirm is not a setting on the amp, try switching the dvd player to the optical input the PS3 is using and see if its the same.

Last edited:

dawsjam

Standard Member
Hi dwhite

Thanks for the note.

Yes, I have tried to switch the opticial inputs however has note made a difference. model number is DVD1080P8

Thanks for your help!

James

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Had a quick look at the manual, and all I can suggest is make sure your audio output is set to bitstream.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom