Onkyo TX-SR309 with Acoustic Solutions DS-533

Kermyt69

Standard Member
Need a little assistance. My Acoustic Solutions DS-533 has given me great joy for over 6 years, cracking little purchase back in the day. However it is not True-HD and as i purchase Blu-Rays I decided to get a new receiver: Onkyo TX-309 2011 Model.

I used the speakers I already have from the DS-533 system and from what i have read the subwoofer is active and therefore i dont need to purchase a new one. So grabbing new Coaxial cables and linking them from Onkyo line-out to DS-533 line-in and turning on the subwoofer in the Onkyo settings i expected everything to be fine. Bad times, the 5.0 sound is amazing but i am getting no 0.1 which is a crying shame as you would all agree.

Have i done something wrong in my set-up? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If the Acoustic Solution system contains decoder/processor and amplifier i.e. all-in-one home cinema, then I'm afraid it isn't a true sub woofer. You would be better off selling the system on and starting again.

Also check the impedance rating of the AS speakers. It should tell you (ohms) either at the rear of the manual (specifications page) or on the rear of the speakers. If they're low (<4ohms), I would urge caution when using them as you could damage the AV receiver.

Kermyt69

Standard Member
appreciate the quick response, thank you.

just done a little reading on ohms, think i understand that....cant find the ohms rating though (lost manual many years ago).

Did my research on the active passive speakers etc etc it should in theory be outputting though shouldnt it (i say in theory cause clearly it isnt).

As afore mentioned im very happy with the sound from the 5 speakers its just the 0.1. Should i just purchase a powered subwoofer?? In addition to the coaxial input on my DS533 it also has the Optical (which is what i used previoudly to connect ps3 to surround system) and typical phono inputs (which i used when outputting from my mixer (turntables)). Could the standard phono cable carry the sound from the onkyo to ds533.

Sorry if i'm just chatting rubbish.....

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The DS-533 is a stand-alone system. It is not a subwoofer. You will need to buy an active subwoofer. Go easy on the volume until you can establish the impedance rating of the AS speakers in case you damage the speakers or more importantly your new AV receiver. AV receivers are usually designed to drive 6ohm and above speakers.

The single coaxial input sounds like it is a digital audio input. Are you connecting to that?

Kermyt69

Standard Member
Yes connecting to the audio input.

Very misleading my system even on the back it states 'active home theatre system' but not active subwoofer lol. Oh well it has served me well but with BluRays very rarely carrying the DolbyDigital 5.1 soundtrack in English it was time to upgrade so i could hear the TrueHD sounds.

Looks like it Powered Subwoofer then, any suggestions. I'm not after the best quality but something that'll please the senses (wont be allowed it too loud anyhow......mrs). Had a brief look but they dont seem to state whether they carry coaxial input. (onkyo output for pre-out subwoofer is only via coaxial by the looks of it).

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Don't confuse a digital coaxial connection with an analogue phono connection. You need a single RCA subwoofer cable. As for suggestions, what is your budget? BK are popular on the forum. Whatfedale SW150 is also often recommended.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom