Onkyo TX-SR309 good first amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jsniper, Sep 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jsniper

jsniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    I think it is probably safe to assume that you guys are sick of these sort of threads, for me there is no better place to get the info from.

Essentially I'm a student so not a massive budget and as such I'm going for the best entry level gear I can get for the least amount of money.

From what I can find this amp seems to be the best available at the price and I just want to get some info from you guys who will no doubt have a much better idea of if it is any good or not.

Onkyo TXSR309 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

That's where I've found it and what I actually want.

From what I have read and been told I have decided to get a pair of speakers to start me off then when funds become available get some more. That way it will obviously take me longer to get it complete but I'll be able to get a better setup.

As it stands I'm thinking getting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's to start me off. What do you guys think?

I'm hoping the AVForums brain trust can advise as I know only you guys can! I'm planning on buying it all over the next couple of weeks. Also, is it worth splashing out on cable at this point? Or just get some cheaper basic stuff for a couple of quid per metre?

Cheers in advance
    :thumbsup:

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Cant say I believe in expensive cable (from personal experience) at this point. Better to put more money in to amp or speakers. Your choice of amp and speakers seems fine to me remember to check Richers clearance list could be a better value amp (in particular ) if you are lucky

3. jsniper

jsniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    Awesome cheers for that. I was always unsure mostly of cable. I'll keep an eye out for the clearance list actually. I always forget they have one!