• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo TX-NR905 - Subwoofer in Direct mode

thornsdale

Standard Member
I have a TX-NR905 which is great, but,
Does anyone know if I can use the Direct audio mode (ie no signal processing) to listen to my stereo music and at the same time use the inbuilt crossover to feed the base to my sub? I think the only way I can get the sub to used is to opt for something like Multi-channel Stereo mode but I really want pure stereo plus the sub. ie no messing except for the cross-over.

Can anyone help please?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Nope - afraid not.

All the subwoofer processing is done by the DSP's. The closest you will be able to get is to just put it in 'stereo' mode

Steve

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Which sub do you have by the way? Some (REL for example) can accept both line level and high level inputs simultaneously. That would solve your problem.

Steve

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Three replies to the same post - I'm rubbish.

There is a mode called simply 'stereo' - it outputs stereo+sub. You don't need to use any of the multi-channel modes.

thornsdale

Standard Member
Which sub do you have by the way? Some (REL for example) can accept both line level and high level inputs simultaneously. That would solve your problem.

I have a Yamaha YST-SW80. It has speaker connections (in and out) as well as the line level. The manual says you can wire it either way but doesn't explicitly say you can't use both at the same time.
So, three new questions:
1. Would it be safe to try?
2. Would that give better results for my music and other non 5.1 sources?
3. What happens when it gets the LF at line level from a 5.1 source? (I guess the amp's cross-over would mean that it wouldn't be receiving any LF on the speaker cables, so there shouldn't be any problems?)

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Bob

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Exactly - theoretically, when you're using it in 5.1 mode, there will be no LFE information on your front left+right so everything will come via the low level signal.

When you put the amp into direct / pure mode, full range signals get passed to your main speakers and so the sub should kick in.

The REL subs have separate controls for the low level and high level inputs but your Yamaha doesn't.

I reckon you should manually set the level on the sub whilst listening in pure mode, then re-run the Audyssey setup which should then match the LFE output.

Worth a try and I can't see you breaking anything!

thornsdale

Standard Member
Exactly - theoretically, when you're using it in 5.1 mode, there will be no LFE information on your front left+right so everything will come via the low level signal.

When you put the amp into direct / pure mode, full range signals get passed to your main speakers and so the sub should kick in.

The REL subs have separate controls for the low level and high level inputs but your Yamaha doesn't.

I reckon you should manually set the level on the sub whilst listening in pure mode, then re-run the Audyssey setup which should then match the LFE output.

Worth a try and I can't see you breaking anything!

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go.

Bob

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom